Kamila Valieva | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Kamila Valieva

FanOfallSkaters

Spectator
Two years ago Sasha Trusova also ended second with 229 so for her very first competition with seniors, Kamila did well.
Also she had to skate with the greatest pressure since she was the only one who could beat Sasha today.
I’m sure, she will make it next time and the final will be stellar with all the top superstars.
Apart the falls, the program is original, I like it. It’s so different from the sp.
I am amaze at her flexibility. I watched some junior skating for first time a year or two ago. She seems to be a skater that gets better as season progresses, but what kind of season we will have. I associate music with Carolyn. I prefer something like this music without vocals. I’m not a fan of keeping vocals in the music. http://youtu.be/fHeQemJJQII

I don’t hate her music but not in love but I can still enjoy the skating.

klena

On the Ice
Designer of dresses for figure skaters Olga Ryabenko said that the image of a snake for the free program of Kamila Valieva was invented by Eteri Tutberidze herself.

"After "Girl on the ball", Kamila has to re-conquer the audience with something new. The idea of performing as a snake to Ravel's music came from coach Eteri Tutberidze. Kamila's hand moves like a snake, so I drew an image of a snake crawling towards her wrist on the sleeve. The eyes are located directly on the palm of the hand," the Japanese version of Sputnik quotes Ryabenko .

The designer also clarified that this is only the first version of the dress, and then it will be improved. (GT)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Olga Ryabenko is very clever and practical in designing dresses. They are layered anyway, different fabrics can be sewn over the bodice, different skirts and fringes, etc etc. I thought the brown looks great in photos from above, with the white ice as background, but a little less so in the horizontal view against a colourful background as in the typical figure skating rink.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Enigma: Bolero by Kamila Valiyeva (part 3)

Part 1: Bolero: Enigma

Part 2: Enigma Bolero: Bejart's ballet, Costner and other programs

Let's start with Kamila's costume. I really like it. This is the most wonderful costume I've seen lately. I would very much like to think that the time will come and it will enter the unofficial treasury of figure skating rarities, like Alina's red tutu. For all its colourfulness, it is very thoughtful and ambiguous.

It is often said that "Bolero" is a textbook for schoolchildren on composition for the orchestra, since all instruments are involved in the composition. But every musical instrument in the orchestra has its own timbre and the melody can be perceived in a certain sound coloration.

Since "Bolero" is a rhythm and a melodic line, sounded by different instruments solo and together, when changing the instrument, the colour of the perception of sound changes. For example, according to V. Kandinsky's table "Parallels of colour and sound" ** light blue is a flute, green is a violin, and red (bright) is fanfare, etc. In my opinion, Kamila's costume reflects this 'relay race' of timbres, or sonic colours.

Her costume is not banal and laconic, as we would habitually think, remembering about Bejart's ballet, but "boleric", colourful and, I think, harmonises with the sounds and colours of the melody when moving from instrument to instrument. It can be said to visualize the 'flow' of the melodic line.

Moreover, it is aesthetically attractive (by Olga Ryabenko?), Especially in movement. And Kamila's movements should, as she herself said, "being so plastic as if to repeat the movements of a snake." And about the costume: "... if you look at my costume, you will understand everything".
Another meaning of Kamila's costume is a more unambiguous reference to the appearance of a snake, perhaps a dangerous, but also very, very beautiful snake. It can be mysterious, even fatal, but irresistibly enticing and hypnotizing. Even in children's cartoons, dancing snakes are often something of the most mysteriously attractive and frightening at the same time (remember "Mowgli" with music by Gubaidulina and a riot of colors).

If you've ever touched or stroked a live snake, you'll remember the smooth, silky feel of touching soft and warm (they are cold-blooded and therefore quickly heat up when touched). And if you observed them in nature, of course, you understand how light, silent, fluid and impetuous they are in movement, how quickly they can uncoil and involve in their deadly dance. And even just 'spicy' stories about exotic countries with the scent of tropical flowers, the viscous music of a flute in the hands of a fakir, and dancing snakes with mysterious spots on the skin can plunge you into a hypnotic enchanted dream full of bizarre visions. Exactly this is the music and magic of "Bolero".

And again, in a nutshell about the musical features of "Bolero".

On the one hand, it is a rhythm continuously beaten by a drum and a constant, strictly maintained moderate tempo. Nothing accelerates and for figure skaters this is an additional problem, you need to constantly feel this rhythm, live in it with all the technical super tasks. Especially in Kamila's program with its quadruple jumps, because until now none of the singles skated Bolero with ultra-s.

Isn't this a challenge? Why not all the jumps in the second half?

On the other hand, it is a change, addition and unification of all new instruments (from flute to clarinet, then to bassoon, to oboe, etc.)
The most dramatic build-up of tension with an orchestral crescendo. For skaters, the increase in sound and power when all instruments are turned on means a gradual change and strengthening of the choreographic language, dramatization of movement (not flickering or "waving" hands).

If executed correctly, this program will have the same addictive effect of inevitable involvement in the flow of the serpentine dance. It won't be Carolina's melancholy-detached and enchanted midday tale or the gradual and inspired ascent to the top of the mountain and destiny, as in Torvill-Dean. And, of course, it will not be a bravura-sudden, non-musical, not at all 'Ravel's' triumph, like Plyushchenko's. And I like that, apart from some reminiscences of Bejart's choreography, Kamila's program does not strive to reflect the ballet-Bezharov's growth of passion (M. Plisetskaya) or the intensification of ecstatic exhaustion of feelings (H. Donn).

It will be a magnetic dance, subtly thought out, almost mathematically calculated, as in real snake attacks. This beautiful, mysterious snake inexorably and skillfully draws you in this, only known to her, plan, beckons and does not let go, checks and holds. It can be a fascinating maze of chains of steps, gestures, rotations at the beginning of the program, which gradually, as the crescendo builds up, turn into wider movements, arcs, a stringy cantilever, kicks (I don’t know if that’s what it should be called).

The tension is growing steadily. Remember that snakes heats up when touched? So this colour-sound amplification is transmitted to the viewer when carmine-red fanfare and dark-burgundy saxophones sound. And Kamila curls in a whirlwind of her costume's colours and her incomparable, indescribable spins and sequences.

A beautiful and skillful snake that knows its strength, appreciates the art of withstanding long intense confrontations, able to hypnotize and plunge into a trance. A beautiful divination - both strange and delightful.

"Bolero" by Kamila and Team Tutberidze will still be honed - both technically and choreographically. But even now, even with all the flaws, the program makes you fantasize, review and admire.

Of course, this is not some cheap dance hall, and therefore Urmanov's commentary is not entirely clear: “A complex program, the musical accompaniment to it is complex. Maybe it's too early for Kamila, I don't know. I'm not sure yet if she understands what she's skating to. " If he was referring to a dancer in a tavern, then Bolero is not only a ballet by Bejart, but also a favourite orchestral work by conductors, the interpretations of which can be many, not necessarily adult-passionate.

There are also cartoons (thanks to the commentators for the links)

Harry Bardeen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDT5QTP57MM

Ivan Maksimov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DFGSY05IQ.

Dear E.A. Tchaikovskaya also said that Kamila is flying, and the music of Bolero is hammering. In my perception, this is not entirely true, since Bolero is about reaching a climax, which can be understood in different ways: it can gradually (there-there-there) "nail", but it can also lead to complete devastation or liberation, and elevation, and being pulled into a mysterious pool of secrets.

** Vassiliy Kandinsky's table: yellow - high loud sounding of a trumpet, blue light shade - flute, dark blue - cello, dark colours - double bass, organ (low tones), green - calm, stretched violin sounds green to yellow - rising violin tones, green to blue - viola with a mute, red (bright) - a strong fanfare, red of a cold tint - middle and low sounds of a cello, red pink tint - a pipe, orange - viola, purple - an English horn, purple saturated shade - oboe, low bassoon sounds
----
From: https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/taniaseren/2842309.html

Last edited:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Hi people! My first post. Sorry if this is bit long, I'll try to keep it shorter in the future. :)

I've been lurking a while here, using Golden Skate as one of my figure skating sources, but Kamila's beautiful performances over the weekend (even the flawed free skate) inspired me to actually register.

Now, I've been following figure skating and especially Russian ladies since Sochi 2014. I actually liked the then Junior World Champion Lena Radionova the most back then, and after that to a lesser extent both Med and Zag. Then I followed closely the trio of Sasha, Anna and Alyona as juniors, liking all of them in different ways, but never really picking an ultimate favorite. When last season was beginning and the trio had been upgraded to seniors, I sort of decided that I want to pick a favorite, because I strangely miss being very nervous for a skater.

Around this time I was watching the JGP as well and there I saw a girl called Kamila Valieva. I knew the name. I knew she was considered one of the most talented upcoming skaters in Russia and at team Tutberidze, but I never really watched her perform as a novice. Immediately at Courchevel I became very fond of her skating, but it took me until around Christmas (rewatching her JGP final performances and comparing them to the trio's GP final and Rus Nats performances), when I realized I like her more than any of "the troyka".

Now, why do I like Kamila so much? I've been trying to analyze that myself. Is it the spins? Yeah, I like the spins, but I think they're not enough here. Is it because she's really cute? I mean I know I'm shallow, but Sasha is really cute too. Alyona is gorgeous and Anya has like the sweetest face you'll ever see. Okay, so is it that she has nice speed and flow across the ice, good skating skills? Well yeah, but Alyona has even better. The killer quads? Sasha better. The ballerina-like movements and musicality? That's Anya!

No, I came to a conclusion that it's a combination of these things. I would say that the latter, the ballerina-thing is most important. Kamilochka is not tall, but she has relatively long limbs that can create beautiful body lines, extensions and "images", and I think she has a great sense of the aesthetic. She knows what looks good. In particular I like her hand and arm movements, like she's moving them as if through water, in a nice ballet type of way.

You know, now that we are awere that she is portraying a snake in that Bolero program, I'm really starting to like it as an idea. She can totally pull that off! The program still looks half made, but it is very challenging and takes her out of her comfort zone, so give it some time. This is a good season to use for learning new things. So, I think that at the end of the day (or season) she will produce something really cool with this program and indeed, learn new things.

I very much fell for her Picasso-program last season and my favorite iteration of it was the Russian Junior Nationals SP in February. Let's just say that I agree with everything Ted Barton has to say about it at the end of that performance (my favorite Ted-moment!) and leave it at that. And her new short is a thing of beauty as well 😍 Have you noticed that it has over half a million views on Youtube already. The last Saturday one I mean. Easily surpassing Sasha's new program numbers or Anya's at the first stage of Kubok Rossii. And at the moment even surpassing Medvedeva's test skate numbers. And judging by all the feedback, people love this program and adore Kamilchik! 🥰

The public has spoken!

And with the challenging Bolero, it's good to have a program that she's easily comfortable with. I loved it at the test skates, when I saw all the little details, like the little hop after the flip and the over-the-top extention after the combo. I love it when skaters are toying with their jump exits, makes it look like everything is light and easy. Too easy. I think Eteri is packaging her very well this season, the ethereal, heavenly bird in the sky blue and cloud white dress with her light little hops and beautiful extensions. And the snake. I trust the snake. We'll see what happens there.

So, now I actually get to feel nervous for a skater again and I was even cursing out loud in my native tongue during the free program mistakes. And I very rarely curse. So thank you Kamilka for these emotions (I suppose)! 😁
Great post, thanks for sharing!

I agree, Kamila does share many nice qualities with Anna, Aliona and Sasha. But still, everytime I watch her, she reminds me so much of Alina Zagitova, not just because of the hamster cheeks :biggrin: It seems to me they have a similar character on the ice (a champion's character!) and style. They're both excellent at technical elements like spins and jumps and they can express a lot with their body movements.

Kamila is a very special skater. I'm so glad we get to watch her this season and her journey. :hap10:

klena

On the Ice
There was information from teamvalieva's IG that Kamila had issues with her bootlaces , they broke after a fall on the quad and her foot was not fixed properly in the boot, hence the unexpected falls on lutzes. Fortunately there was no injury.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Could very well have happened. She was looking at her boot, shook it and was definitely worried over something.

These things do happen at unfortunate moments, and it is essential for skaters to be prepared for these kind of emergencies.

Another lesson learned for Kamila.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Any Russian language source for this article from a Japanese news aggregator: https://jp.sputniknews.com/figure-skating/202010137846522/ ?

excerpt concercing Kamila's costume:

"On the other hand, when she was a junior, Kamila Valiyeva, who left a moving image of a "girl on the ball" to many fans as well as referees, transformed into a snake at her first senior tournament.

Valiyeva has exceptional flexibility and graceful rotations, but this new image is controversial on the Internet. In particular, noisy fans have made dry comments such as "worst" and "like a frog." "Sputnik" talked to the designer who worked on costumes with a slightly unusual image.
Designer Olga Ryabova adds more expressiveness to the chosen "snake" image, while Kamilla's free program outfit should not interfere with Ultra C-class elements or Valiyeva's body movements.

"Kamila has to surprise the audience again with something different from " Girl on the Ball ". The idea of expressing the image of a snake to the music of Bolero came up with coach Eteri Tutberidze. Since the movement of Kamila's hand in the program is reminiscent of the movement of a snake, I drew an image of a snake crawling toward the wrist on the sleeve part. The same way the eyes come to the wrist part.

In addition, Olga Ryabova states that this is still the first stage of the season and the costumes are not yet complete and will continue to be modified."

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
There was information from teamvalieva's IG that Kamila had issues with her bootlaces , they broke after a fall on the quad and her foot was not fixed properly in the boot, hence the unexpected falls on lutzes. Fortunately there was no injury.
If that's true then she is brave girl (maybe even too much brave) and seasoned performer that she was able to finish the program without making the lace issue visible.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Hi people! My first post. Sorry if this is bit long, I'll try to keep it shorter in the future. :)

I've been lurking a while here, using Golden Skate as one of my figure skating sources, but Kamila's beautiful performances over the weekend (even the flawed free skate) inspired me to actually register.

Now, I've been following figure skating and especially Russian ladies since Sochi 2014. I actually liked the then Junior World Champion Lena Radionova the most back then, and after that to a lesser extent both Med and Zag. Then I followed closely the trio of Sasha, Anna and Alyona as juniors, liking all of them in different ways, but never really picking an ultimate favorite. When last season was beginning and the trio had been upgraded to seniors, I sort of decided that I want to pick a favorite, because I strangely miss being very nervous for a skater.

Around this time I was watching the JGP as well and there I saw a girl called Kamila Valieva. I knew the name. I knew she was considered one of the most talented upcoming skaters in Russia and at team Tutberidze, but I never really watched her perform as a novice. Immediately at Courchevel I became very fond of her skating, but it took me until around Christmas (rewatching her JGP final performances and comparing them to the trio's GP final and Rus Nats performances), when I realized I like her more than any of "the troyka".

Now, why do I like Kamila so much? I've been trying to analyze that myself. Is it the spins? Yeah, I like the spins, but I think they're not enough here. Is it because she's really cute? I mean I know I'm shallow, but Sasha is really cute too. Alyona is gorgeous and Anya has like the sweetest face you'll ever see. Okay, so is it that she has nice speed and flow across the ice, good skating skills? Well yeah, but Alyona has even better. The killer quads? Sasha better. The ballerina-like movements and musicality? That's Anya!

No, I came to a conclusion that it's a combination of these things. I would say that the latter, the ballerina-thing is most important. Kamilochka is not tall, but she has relatively long limbs that can create beautiful body lines, extensions and "images", and I think she has a great sense of the aesthetic. She knows what looks good. In particular I like her hand and arm movements, like she's moving them as if through water, in a nice ballet type of way.

You know, now that we are awere that she is portraying a snake in that Bolero program, I'm really starting to like it as an idea. She can totally pull that off! The program still looks half made, but it is very challenging and takes her out of her comfort zone, so give it some time. This is a good season to use for learning new things. So, I think that at the end of the day (or season) she will produce something really cool with this program and indeed, learn new things.

I very much fell for her Picasso-program last season and my favorite iteration of it was the Russian Junior Nationals SP in February. Let's just say that I agree with everything Ted Barton has to say about it at the end of that performance (my favorite Ted-moment!) and leave it at that. And her new short is a thing of beauty as well 😍 Have you noticed that it has over half a million views on Youtube already. The last Saturday one I mean. Easily surpassing Sasha's new program numbers or Anya's at the first stage of Kubok Rossii. And at the moment even surpassing Medvedeva's test skate numbers. And judging by all the feedback, people love this program and adore Kamilchik! 🥰

The public has spoken!

And with the challenging Bolero, it's good to have a program that she's easily comfortable with. I loved it at the test skates, when I saw all the little details, like the little hop after the flip and the over-the-top extention after the combo. I love it when skaters are toying with their jump exits, makes it look like everything is light and easy. Too easy. I think Eteri is packaging her very well this season, the ethereal, heavenly bird in the sky blue and cloud white dress with her light little hops and beautiful extensions. And the snake. I trust the snake. We'll see what happens there.

So, now I actually get to feel nervous for a skater again and I was even cursing out loud in my native tongue during the free program mistakes. And I very rarely curse. So thank you Kamilka for these emotions (I suppose)! 😁

Hi and welcome! Thank you for writing so nicely about Kamila, I always enjoy hearing stories of how others first become fans!

When I first started to follow her, I also couldn't really put my finger on what exactly it was about her that I liked so much. It wasn't the flexibility, because for me that alone isn't enough (there's always gymnastics and other sports for that), but after seeing her several times I realized that it was as you said, a combination of many things. Kamila is also one of the only skaters who has such almost "signature" movements going out of jumps that I can tell that it's her if they don't show the face/outfit.

Anyway, please continue to post! RLT is a strange occasional battlefield land but here it's only appreciation for Kamila :hap10:

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
If that's true then she is brave girl (maybe even too much brave) and seasoned performer that she was able to finish the program without making the lace issue visible.
Truly. I'm just glad if it's not an injury, but I don't want this kind of bravery again because it could lead to actual injuries. 🙏

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She was sent to ice dancing, yet she has learned a quadruple Toeloop. Who is this Kamila Valiyeva?

69910c4a46e672d6b1479abbf82c96085f8ac0632d3ca220882698.jpg

Unique stretches, perfect spins and Olympic hopes

In the center of attention of the Moscow stage of the Russian Cup, along with Aleksandra Trusova, was another figure skater - 14-year-old Kamila Valiyeva, who is entering her first adult season.

She cannot compete in international competitions - for example, at the Grand Prix or at the World Championships - for another year. But she is considered not only as a serious competitor to the recognized stars Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova right now, but also as a likely contender for the Olympic gold in Beijing-2022. Is it a premature advance or a cold forecast based on hard data? Let's figure it out.

03247189cab7ad4c76ecbcc4a74a91385f84377f01a4e147574594.jpg

In the 2014/2015 season, a video was scattered across the forums of figure skating fans, where a young figure skater in a white ballet tutu skates to the "Swan" by Camille Saint-Saens, and how she skates is incredibly cultural and meaningful for her, at that time nine years old. Back then, everyone said in one voice that the girl was amazingly good, but she should be into ice dance - you can already see her long arms and legs, she will probably grow tall, and will have low jumps - it's a pity to lose such beauty in single skating, so at least keep her for ice dance.

Five years later, and some of these predictions have really come true. Kamila grew up as into a tall girl, but she did not lose jumps, although she does not have the absolute stability of their performance. Moreover, her stature of a ballerina does not prevent her from jumping a quadruple Toeloop and a cascade of a triple Lutz-triple Rittberger, as well as working on a triple Axel.

They began to lay the technical base for Valiyeva in her native Kazan, and work continued at the Moskvich sports school in Moscow, where Kamila arrived with her mother at the age of six. Before going to Khrustalniy in the summer of 2018, the skater managed to work with Kseniya Ivanova (back in Kazan), Marina Kudryavtseva, Igor Lyutikov, Stanislav Kovalyov and Nataliya Dubinskaya. An impressive list of coaches, but in fact it was they who gave Kamila what attracted Eteri Tutberidze to her.

Kamila Valieva entered the international arena at the time of absolute hegemony of Russian women's single skating. To make it clearer that hegemony is not an exaggeration, here are some illustrative facts:

In 2020, Aleksandra Trusova performs 5 quadruple jumps in a free program
In 2019, Anna Shcherbakova performs the most difficult quadruple jumps - Lutz and Flip
In 2019, Alyona Kostornaya and Yelizaveta Tuktamysheva jump three triple Axels in two programs

As of the end of 2020, the current world champion is the Russian Zagitova, the current European champion is Alyona Kostornaya, who is also the last winner of the Grand Prix final
Against this crushing background, Kamila Valiyeva's jumping arsenal may not look so impressive, but this is only a distortion in the prism of our spoiledness. In reality, two quadruple Toeloops are not a shameful set even for a single male skater from the first seven at the World Championships. And of course, with clean skates, Kamila has a chance to fight for victory at all starts, because with the second mark she is also all right - on a par with Shcherbakova and Kostornaya.

Valiyeva right now has some of the best spins in the world in terms of cleanliness of positions, coupled with speed and centering. She also has a proprietary position, which no one in the world does in absolute terms like Kamila - in the “flag” position.
1ad3fe025fb21cfc6e27ff3d9502d4115f843541625ff861335261.jpg

The program "Girl on a Ball", staged in Kamila's debut season under the direction of Tutberidze, had an effect on the sports and cultural community alike an asteroid that dropped in front of your house. It was from that production, based on the painting of the same name by Pablo Picasso, that Valiyeva became known to a wide audience. The production was so good that the coaches kept it for Kamila to perform in her first international junior season.

An important fact of recognition - the artist's relatives contacted Kamila to express their admiration and gratitude for her talent. This suggests a parallel with Steven Spielberg's letter to Yuliya Lipnitskaya for her interpretation of Schindler's List, which in itself is a very flattering comparison.

Last season we could be convinced that Valiyeva has no problems with her character. In the autumn, Kamila broke her leg - participation in the Grand Prix Finals was in doubt and depended on the timing of the skater's recovery. Kamila not only recovered, but also won that final, although she had to abstain from her quadruple jumps. She also has experience in getting ready for a clean skating run after a painful fall from her first jump. All other situations are probably modeled by Tutberidze in training, but it's better to consolidate on what has been happened in competitions - it's a pity that this season is tense with them because of the pandemic.
1c09b2d3f15e8bd2c209517c6b518f575f84353fa286b909898544.jpg

After the Test Skates, Valiyeva's new programs were discussed a lot. And if the short's lyrics are pleasant, but quite passable lyrics for the season, then the free's lyrics are one of their choices that speaks of the great ambitions of Ravel's "Bolero". This music has long been tested by top-level skaters, and this is the catch - usually "Bolero" is chosen by mature athletes for significant periods of their careers. Torville and Dean became icons of ice dancing under it, Carolina Kostner overcame the Olympic curse and won the bronze in Sochi-2014, Tarasova - Morozov returned to the ice with the renewed hand of Marina Zuyeva. Yelizaveta Tuktamysheva skated to Bolero when she was eighteen - this very lucrative season when Lisa became the World and European champion. Despite the complexity of interpretation, Ravel's music is, in fact, a win-win, but will young Kamila cope with this theme? If Eteri Tutberidze really has the Beijing Olympics in mind for Valiyeva, then two seasons should be enough for the program to take off.

The choice of costumes and the concept of choreography is a subjective matter. Someone may think that Valiyeva's Bolero should certainly be modern and minimalistic, in the same graphic of black unitard with red gloves from the Test Skates. Tutberidze has her own vision - this is a snake dance with the appropriate plasticity of the hands and thematic details in the costume. The only objective is the fact that the choreography of the program is still somewhat secondary - attentive spectators and specialists recognised the remains of different programs of Zagitova and Medvedeva, right up to repetitions of the position of the body and arms.

Daniil Gleikhengauz still has time to make a weapon out of a crude production so that Kamila can take Beijing without firing a single shot - and then the skater will have everything to force the judges to surrender.

(c) Анастасия Панина

Last edited: