Jason Brown | Page 805 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm also bummed for Jason (and for all of us)!
I guess now they are working toward Nationals, period. Hoping Jordan gets to Cricket and films Jason doing his FS at least so that we can see it. I'd pay for that! I'm sure the final version will be so much more than what we saw on the ISP video.

I'd love to see Jordan film Jason's SP as well as the FS. He did some intricate footwork at the far end of the rink during the the step sequence that I want to see up close and personal.

From Phil Hersh
@USFigureSkating just reconfirmed to me that Skate America still is a go for Oct. 23-25 in Las Vegas and added that, despite cancellation of Skate Canada, @jasonbskates has decided to stay at his Canada training base rather than deal with travel issues to get to Skate America.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm also bummed for Jason (and for all of us)!

I'd love to see Jordan film Jason's SP as well as the FS. He did some intricate footwork at the far end of the rink during the the step sequence that I want to see up close and personal.

From Phil Hersh
@USFigureSkating just reconfirmed to me that Skate America still is a go for Oct. 23-25 in Las Vegas and added that, despite cancellation of Skate Canada, @jasonbskates has decided to stay at his Canada training base rather than deal with travel issues to get to Skate America.
Jason has made a wise decision. Nationals is the next goal. I'm just so disappointed not to see how his programs are coming along. Safety first!

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
Since Skate Canada was canceled in Ottawa due to Ottawa’s new COVID-19 outbreak and new restrictions, I wonder why they couldn’t just move it to Montreal or Toronto, or at least do a virtual event?

So disappointed.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Since Skate Canada was canceled in Ottawa due to Ottawa’s new COVID-19 outbreak and new restrictions, I wonder why they couldn’t just move it to Montreal or Toronto, or at least do a virtual event?

So disappointed.
Because Montreal and Toronto are both COVID-19 hotspots too, and as we've seen with the US attempts, virtual competitions are hardly worth the name due to the varying facilities available to different skaters, frequent poor quality of filming, and resulting inconsistent judging quality.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Because Montreal and Toronto are both COVID-19 hotspots too, and as we've seen with the US attempts, virtual competitions are hardly worth the name due to the varying facilities available to different skaters, frequent poor quality of filming, and resulting inconsistent judging quality.
Agree with the hotspots.

I think virtual or hybrid competitions can be worth doing, but need more work. Skate Canada will be doing Challenge (the qualifier for Nationals) as a virtual competition.

Skate BC had an interesting competition where most of the skaters were in Burnaby (Vancouver area) but a few skaters were in Kelowna. I believe they competed in real time, and the live stream just switched to a different feed for the Kelowna skaters. They must have judged the Kelowna skaters by video, or maybe they did video judging for everyone, so it would be uniform. The Kelowna skaters in each event skated one after another, so there was minimal flipping back and forth.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Canadian authorities strike again. I get the numbers are high, but I don't see why local competitions without spectators and all the precautions we've seen at Nebelhorn are still cancelled. And isn't the testing greater as well and therefore making the numbers higher?

I'm questioning even US Nationals taking place; I just wish they wouldn't announce these competitions so we wouldn't hope for something that is not going to be.

And how long before they decide that keeping rinks like the one Jason trains at open is not important either?

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I can speak for everyone that we are all skating fans and in this FF we all :love2: Jason and that is what matters. And we are all disappointed that he is not skating. Criticism of responses to the pandemic can lead to politics IME, or at least it does in the US. Best for me to stick to skating politics:laugh:

now my hope lies with Jordan and OnIce Perspectives🤞

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think I can speak for everyone that we are all skating fans and in this FF we all :love2: Jason and that is what matters. And we are all disappointed that he is not skating. Criticism of responses to the pandemic can lead to politics IME, or at least it does in the US. Best for me to stick to skating politics:laugh:

now my hope lies with Jordan and OnIce Perspectives🤞
Maybe we should all comment on Jordan's Instagram account that Jason fans everywhere would appreciate a good video of the current state of Jason's programs. He can take it from there!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canadian authorities strike again. I get the numbers are high, but I don't see why local competitions without spectators and all the precautions we've seen at Nebelhorn are still cancelled. And isn't the testing greater as well and therefore making the numbers higher? I'm questioning even US Nationals taking place, I just wish they wouldn't announce these competitions so we wouldn't hope for something that is not going to be.

And how long before they decide that keeping rinks like the one Jason trains at open is not important either?

It's a "you can run, but you cannot hide" situation with this virus and we cannot run forever, it will just prolong situations like numbers being high time and time again like a cycle until they will open everything no matter what because "the economy". Maybe Worlds will take place since Sweden has understood we cannot live in a "bubble".
Not in Ontario. They've had to restrict testing because the system was overwhelmed when school started and there was a huge backlog of tests. So we're testing less than in the summer right now. Also, testing of the sewage system is being used for a more accurate picture of case rates, and it's very high in Ottawa right now. Public health officials and the hospitals are really concerned. And moving the event to another city really wasn't an option, since not only are Toronto and Montreal (the two obvious options) also hotspots, but most of the competitors train in those cities, and traveling out of a hotspot to somewhere else is highly discouraged right now.

Rinks closing again in Ontario (in the hotspots at least) is a possibility with how things are going, but I haven't heard anything about further closures (beyond the restaurants, bars, and gyms) at the moment. I hope it won't come to that.

So yes, the event needed to be cancelled, as disappointing as it is. It's not "Canadian officials strike again".

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Anyone with access to facebook, I posted in the fan group a series of screenshots from yesterday's Cooking/Chat event with Brian Boitano. I know a few people who watched it and sounds like it was a lot of fun, especially when Jason had a massive struggle trying to halve a whole cabbage :ROFLMAO: they whipped up some sort of stir fry with steak and vegetables. Hopefully we will get to see some of it eventually, and the recipe!

Ross74

Medalist
Anyone with access to facebook, I posted in the fan group a series of screenshots from yesterday's Cooking/Chat event with Brian Boitano. I know a few people who watched it and sounds like it was a lot of fun, especially when Jason had a massive struggle trying to halve a whole cabbage :ROFLMAO: they whipped up some sort of stir fry with steak and vegetables. Hopefully we will get to see some of it eventually, and the recipe!
Thank you! It looks like a fun time. :) There are also some pics on twitter if you search on Jason or Cookingwithchampions.

Rinks closing again in Ontario (in the hotspots at least) is a possibility with how things are going, but I haven't heard anything about further closures (beyond the restaurants, bars, and gyms) at the moment. I hope it won't come to that.
SnowWhite, that's a very real fear of mine. I'm afraid when I check the boards in the morning, I'm going to see an announcement about it. I also hope it doesn't come to this. Geeez, editing a post here has become really difficult. :bang:

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for this! I would have loved to participate and was sorry that I couldn't. Jason and Brian are both a lot of fun.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those of us who remember the USFS fluff with Jason cooking last year, he could have just used his skate blade on the cabbage:laugh:

so cool that Jason knew that Japanese fans had signed up and said a few words in Japanese(y)