2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Congratulation to Lubov! I am happy Auroroa is back to training. Good luck to all skaters!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As has already been discussed extensively, no SCI this year.

But 2023 Junior Worlds in Calgary is officially a go. I have family and a close university friend in Calgary I haven't seen in a long time, so it may be time to start planning a pilgrimage.

A lot of our current prominent juniors won't be age-eligible for 2023, especially among the pairs/dance, but a few will.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I feel so sad for the skaters. Don't get me wrong, it's totally understandable and obviously health and safety are first. But it remains sad to see all the havoc the pandemic is causing (and obviously not just among skaters either)!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Kaiya's new SP in a separate clip:
and FP:

Is Kaiya a 'lefty' and clockwise skater?

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
IAM said in the replies to their Instagram post about the cancellation of IdF that they were working to arrange some sort of demonstration event for their teams (one imagines IAM Live 2.0, perhaps without the "live" part). So we may not have to wait until nationals to see a few of the Canadian dance teams' new programs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the videos, It appears Kaiya Ruiter is in the midst of a growth spurt, which may be why she is suddenly having problems with her jumps.

mrrice

Record Breaker
From the videos, It appears Kaiya Ruiter is in the midst of a growth spurt, which may be why she is suddenly having problems with her jumps.
Is Alaine Chartrand still involved in skating? I don't see her name listed anywhere at events so, I'm guessing she's retired. Is she coaching?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is Alaine Chartrand still involved in skating? I don't see her name listed anywhere at events so, I'm guessing she's retired. Is she coaching?
She hasn't "officially" retired, but effectively she is.

Coach Evans posted a two-minute video of McIntosh/Mimar's short program in development:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The national championships will be pushed back four weeks, with two flights rather than three for seniors and juniors (which will mostly only affect singles, though it will also make the crunch in junior dance at Challenge pretty brutal). I'll just be glad if we can have a real, in-person nationals this year.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Keegan wins what may end up being Canada's only international medal of the season, the way things are going. The free skate dogged him all through last season after the Autumn Classic (i.e., after his family tragedy), so it was great to see a clean-ish version of it with all the big jumps delivered.

Scott, Lubov and Trennt are all seeking Skate Ontario coaching certification:

haribobo

On the Ice
AB/NWT/NUN Sectionals Results Summary - Top 3

SENIOR LADIES
1 Madison Moore 123.04
2 Sydney Blensch 92.48
3 Alisha McCann 82.95

JUNIOR MEN
1 Matthew Newnham 171.23
2 Brian Chiem 165.40
3 Tim Pomares 150.93

JUNIOR LADIES
1 Michelle Deng 133.21
2 Alexandra Sarmiento Diaz 128.85
3 Grace Johnson 124.38

JUNIOR DANCE
1 Saunders/Oddson 132.44
2 Robinson/Portz 130.75
3 Hollstein/Burger 122.98

slider11

Medalist
I hope this is true and they can make a go of a partnership. I think Justine Brasseur is immensely talented. I'm not as familiar with Zach Daleman's skating. I'd also love to see a partner come out of the woodwork for Lubov, and Julianne Seguin (if she wanted to return). It's so incredibly sad to see these amazing pairs girls languish without partner options.
I must agree with your dismay that Lubov and Julianne are still waiting for partners. They are such talented pair skaters. They don't need a huge guy, either.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lubov and julianne will not return... i am pretty sure of that. Julianne is young but her history of concussions is probably one of the reasons why it didn't work out after the olympics.... and lubov seems to have moved on... to me, though i adored julianne and charlie together, the real heartbreak is that we never saw what could have been with lubov and charlie... one season wasn't enough.. i feel that julianne and charlie had their moments... i do not imagine them improving upon their previous glorious days.. but lubov... sigh...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan wins what may end up being Canada's only international medal of the season, the way things are going. The free skate dogged him all through last season after the Autumn Classic (i.e., after his family tragedy), so it was great to see a clean-ish version of it with all the big jumps delivered.

Scott, Lubov and Trennt are all seeking Skate Ontario coaching certification:

I was so proud of my Keegan!❤️