2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Congratulation to Lubov! I am happy Auroroa is back to training. Good luck to all skaters!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As has already been discussed extensively, no SCI this year.

But 2023 Junior Worlds in Calgary is officially a go. I have family and a close university friend in Calgary I haven't seen in a long time, so it may be time to start planning a pilgrimage.

A lot of our current prominent juniors won't be age-eligible for 2023, especially among the pairs/dance, but a few will.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I feel so sad for the skaters. Don't get me wrong, it's totally understandable and obviously health and safety are first. But it remains sad to see all the havoc the pandemic is causing (and obviously not just among skaters either)!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
IAM said in the replies to their Instagram post about the cancellation of IdF that they were working to arrange some sort of demonstration event for their teams (one imagines IAM Live 2.0, perhaps without the "live" part). So we may not have to wait until nationals to see a few of the Canadian dance teams' new programs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
From the videos, It appears Kaiya Ruiter is in the midst of a growth spurt, which may be why she is suddenly having problems with her jumps.

mrrice

Record Breaker
From the videos, It appears Kaiya Ruiter is in the midst of a growth spurt, which may be why she is suddenly having problems with her jumps.
Is Alaine Chartrand still involved in skating? I don't see her name listed anywhere at events so, I'm guessing she's retired. Is she coaching?

Backoutside

Empress of St. Petersburg
On the Ice
Thanks for sharing the videos of Kaiya's performances. I really like both of her new programs. They are a good step up, maturity-wise, and the choreography is well done. :)

Oh ❤️! The little 🐝 is growing up!

These two clips remind me of the old trope about an adolescent boy's voice cracking. But the progression here, from the bubbling charm that swept me away when she popped up on my JGP radar last year, through these two programs of freshly acquired style and sophistication, leads me to delightful speculation of what she could bring for us in Beijing!

One of my top five reasons I dream of applying for Canadian citizenship (along with Letterkenny), is to earn the right to call her our Kaiya.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The national championships will be pushed back four weeks, with two flights rather than three for seniors and juniors (which will mostly only affect singles, though it will also make the crunch in junior dance at Challenge pretty brutal). I'll just be glad if we can have a real, in-person nationals this year.