2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Are ice rinks closed in Toronto?
Yeah, for 28 days as of Monday 😭 Lucky Roman... hopefully York Region can stave off further measures for now.
Wish I could sneak over there to skate, but probably shouldn't really, for the purpose of containment...

Does anyone know if TCC/Granite/other private clubs are still allowed to operate (i.e. can Orzel, Daleman, Circelli etc. train as usual?)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I was happy to see Gabby skating again. Gorgeous start, but the good things didn't last long. She showed signs of doubting for the Loop and after that all jumps were a struggle.
One skater I liked is Kristina Ivanova, though she had mistakes. And Emmanuele Proft, showed some good signs among other booboo.

Last edited:

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Really, so this win is not a surprise.
Alison Shumacher (who came 5th) actually got silver at nationals last year. So maybe you could say Madeline is moving up, but I'm not sure who people expected to win. I didn't know this competition happened until today :laugh:
Edit: Did they release the results before streaming the competition?

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Yeah, for 28 days as of Monday 😭 Lucky Roman... hopefully York Region can stave off further measures for now.
Wish I could sneak over there to skate, but probably shouldn't really, for the purpose of containment...

Does anyone know if TCC/Granite/other private clubs are still allowed to operate (i.e. can Orzel, Daleman, Circelli etc. train as usual?)
This lockdown makes no sense for me. Couldn't people just go to York? :scratch2:

haribobo

On the Ice
In Jr and Sr, 15/8/5/3 for Ont/Que/BC/AB make it to Challenge, and then 2 each for every other province.

Just a reminder that only 2 warm up groups make it to Nationals this season in each discipline, so 12 ladies and men, 8 pairs, and 10 dance teams, from what I understand.

My best guess on who we could see at Nationals in Senior

Men (12)
Nguyen Messing 266, Sadovsky Phan Orzel Nadeau
Circelli 201, Eric Liu, Rakic, Gogolev, Toman 187, Clements

Ladies (10 so far)
Bausback, Pineault
Schizas 162 Schumacher 156 Daleman 157 Long 157 Orzel 157, Mallet, Cotop, Ruiter

Pairs (8)
Walsh/Michaud, Stellato/Deschamps, MTM, Brasseur/Daleman, Matte/Ferland, McIntosh/Mimar 158, Ruest/Wolfe, Purich/Chudak

Dance (8 so far)
Soucisse/Firus Lajoie/Lagha Gilles/Poirier, FBS, Sales/Wamsteeker, Lanaghan/Razgulajevs, Fabbri/Ayer Campbell/Fawcett

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I think Justine & Zachary show a lot of potential here. She already seems to click much more with him than she did with Mark. She's still kind of leaning on the jump/throw like she's expecting to have to put a hand down, but progress is being made in this area (once Meagan gets back to the rink full-time, I'm sure she's got plans).

Brooke & Benjamin have already got a lot of strong-looking elements (their final lift almost circles the rink).

From today's IAM Live feed, Zach (ugh, now we've got two of them domestically, this is going to get confusing in the future, I can tell; and just after we got rid of the Kaetlyn/Kaitlyn problem) did a solo run-through of their new free dance (they don't say why Marjorie wasn't there), which looks like the most unusual program they've ever done. They really run with the bird theme.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

I think Justine & Zachary show a lot of potential here. She already seems to click much more with him than she did with Mark. She's still kind of leaning on the jump/throw like she's expecting to have to put a hand down, but progress is being made in this area (once Meagan gets back to the rink full-time, I'm sure she's got plans).

Brooke & Benjamin have already got a lot of strong-looking elements (their final lift almost circles the rink).

From today's IAM Live feed, Zach (ugh, now we've got two of them domestically, this is going to get confusing in the future, I can tell; and just after we got rid of the Kaetlyn/Kaitlyn problem) did a solo run-through of their new free dance (they don't say why Marjorie wasn't there), which looks like the most unusual program they've ever done. They really run with the bird theme.

Looks like Justine and Zachary are mates. That helps so much!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
This lockdown makes no sense for me. Couldn't people just go to York? :scratch2:
They could, and I think many might just do that... A lot of the Ontario government's response has made little sense...
BOTB is still going on for another week so I assume they must be filming it somewhere in the non-locked-down part of the GTA. If TV's considered essential, then I feel that high-level figure skaters (National/Next-gen/pro, not me) should be able to do at least the same without trouble 😅

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
They could, and I think many might just do that... A lot of the Ontario government's response has made little sense...
BOTB is still going on for another week so I assume they must be filming it somewhere in the non-locked-down part of the GTA. If TV's considered essential, then I feel that high-level figure skaters (National/Next-gen/pro, not me) should be able to do at least the same without trouble 😅
According to wikipedia, they're filming it in brampton

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Thanks. I saw this on Roman's channel when he first posted. I'm hugely excited for Roman pushing the boundaries athletically, artistically, and cinematically!!! He's so talented. :love2: Roman said he would follow-up with a video* on how he and the filmmaker put this video together, including how they got the sound of the blades on the ice so crisp and clear. This is a fantastic program beautifully filmed! It accentuates Roman's flowing ice coverage, his wingspan and extension, his statuesque elegance, and his bravura athleticism. It's all the more sad that there haven't been any competitive opportunities as usual this season.

I said in another thread today that I feel like the sport is dying before our eyes, but I suppose it's really more that a difficult transition is taking place with eventual outcomes unknown. Plus, it's that coverage and access are so lame and increasingly complicated. But it's the skaters, as always, who inspire hope and who are keeping the sport on life support. The athletes, as always, are the only reason to continue watching.

So far this season, I'm in love with Roman's FS, and also with Jason's, Kolyada's, and Nathan's programs on the men's side.

ETA:
*Here's Roman's video explaining how his FP was filmed:

Last edited:

janetliz

Rinkside
I wonder how Skate Canada will handle the virtual Challenge if a significant number of rinks are in lockdown in January. Although the Toronto/Peel lockdown is currently 28 days (until Dec. 21), it seems likey that it will be extended into January, so those skaters would have very little, if any, ice time to prepare. They may not even have ice available at the time of Challenge. I would expect that York region and Halton will be added to this lockdown soon, and I have no idea if other provinces are closing rinks again.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I wonder how Skate Canada will handle the virtual Challenge if a significant number of rinks are in lockdown in January. Although the Toronto/Peel lockdown is currently 28 days (until Dec. 21), it seems likey that it will be extended into January, so those skaters would have very little, if any, ice time to prepare. They may not even have ice available at the time of Challenge. I would expect that York region and Halton will be added to this lockdown soon, and I have no idea if other provinces are closing rinks again.
Have they announced how it's going to work yet? The format and such? If too many people can't compete they'll likely cancel it, I'd think. If people couldn't skate for Challenge, nationals might be bust too (due to restrictions and such) :shrug: