NBCSN will shut down by the end of the year. | Golden Skate

NBCSN will shut down by the end of the year.

NaVi

Medalist

NBC has told distributors and some sports leagues that it plans to shut down its NBCSN sports channel by the end of the year. NBC’s most recent affiliate deals with Charter and Dish Network do not include carriage for NBCSN beyond this year, sources said. Plus, sports leagues that have deals with NBC were being told of the changes this week.

The move is in line with the current media trend of consolidating cable channels. For NBC, it also is part of a bigger strategy to grow its Peacock streaming service, while, at the same time, bolstering the programming schedule for other NBC channels like USA Network. Bigger properties, like the NHL, NASCAR and EPL, will move to USA Network while keeping some windows on the broadcast channel. Smaller properties, like car shows, dog shows and some motorsports, will have to find new linear TV outlets.

Will be interesting what happens with figure skating. I figure most of what is shown on tv currently will find a new home on a cable channel and not just a streaming option like Peacock. Most likely the Olympic channel but perhaps the USA Network. The rights deal with NBC expires at the end of the 2025-6 season.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m happy. The skiing, speed skating and figure skating on the service is complete and with no commentary. Nothing better than listening to the skis and skates instead of endless chatter about nothing.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I see this being a frequent thing, networks develop a streaming service and then slowly move things from being available on streaming and cable channels and then slowly migrate them to only being available via streaming. On the upside this will give me a leverage point with my cable company to lower my rates

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see this being a frequent thing, networks develop a streaming service and then slowly move things from being available on streaming and cable channels and then slowly migrate them to only being available via streaming. On the upside this will give me a leverage point with my cable company to lower my rates
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but one of the main reasons it is closing is because it gets some of the lowest carriage rates around.

Gets around 40 cents a subscriber, if that.

This was no surprise; when all the NBC gold stuff was going to Peacock, you knew they wanted to increase subscribers to that service.

When the Premier League top of the table clashes were streamed instead of aired, that sent the alarm bells ringing and told you where NBC saw the future.

And the big events will move to USA network so they prop up that network with live sports instead of reruns in prime time and on the weekends.

I am even more ecstatic because I subscribed to peacock just for the prem and was going to purchase the snow package this year anyway.

Now I get that included, and get figure skating, speed skating, and the supercross, rugby package also included! And I’m sure I missed a sport or 2 as well.

So for me, it’s a bargain to say the least.

And yes, I will admit to watching a few old school saved by the bell episodes to remember my youth. Don’t judge. Haha

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Does NBC actually pay for the rights, or is it like Canada where they essentially buy the air time and sell their own ads (in SC's case, those of their sponsors).

Cause if it's the former, that may be hard to replace... the latter not so much

Amei

Record Breaker
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but one of the main reasons it is closing is because it gets some of the lowest carriage rates around.

Gets around 40 cents a subscriber, if that.

This was no surprise; when all the NBC gold stuff was going to Peacock, you knew they wanted to increase subscribers to that service.

When the Premier League top of the table clashes were streamed instead of aired, that sent the alarm bells ringing and told you where NBC saw the future.

And the big events will move to USA network so they prop up that network with live sports instead of reruns in prime time and on the weekends.

I am even more ecstatic because I subscribed to peacock just for the prem and was going to purchase the snow package this year anyway.

Now I get that included, and get figure skating, speed skating, and the supercross, rugby package also included! And I’m sure I missed a sport or 2 as well.

So for me, it’s a bargain to say the least.

And yes, I will admit to watching a few old school saved by the bell episodes to remember my youth. Don’t judge. Haha

I wasn't attempting to say that NBCSN was some gold mine of a channel. Just that I can foresee companies moving channels or 'content' to their own streaming services where they don't have to negotiate their profits with the cable/satellite providers. Yes "big" events will migrate to another cable channel for now, but there's going to be a good amount of content that will not and NBC is hoping to drive people to their streaming service.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't attempting to say that NBCSN was some gold mine of a channel. Just that I can foresee companies moving channels or 'content' to their own streaming services where they don't have to negotiate their profits with the cable/satellite providers. Yes "big" events will migrate to another cable channel for now, but there's going to be a good amount of content that will not and NBC is hoping to drive people to their streaming service.
That being said, I do hope you get some money back.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
As long as I maintain good relations with the Canadian stream bandits, I'm good.

I've said it before: If I'm ever in a circumstance where my life depends on access to a sketchy livestream, I'm screaming "Get me a Canadian in here, stat!"

What are the Canadian stream bandits? How do they differ than random re-streams?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are the Canadian stream bandits? How do they differ than random re-streams?
They are wonderful people who are wizards at finding streams. They take it to a completely different level.

I once watched Canadian Nationals live via a Youtube link of a lady sitting in a recliner streaming her laptop from her phone.

How they found that jewel, I will never know.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peacock is absolutely awful. Will not pay one more cent for it. Terrible terrible coverage. Who owns the Olympic Channel?

Amei

Record Breaker
Peacock is absolutely awful. Will not pay one more cent for it. Terrible terrible coverage. Who owns the Olympic Channel?

Olympic channel is owned by the IOC, streaming platform rights owned by NBC Sports, the actual TV channel depends on where you live, the IOC sells the channel out.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm disappointed - I watched NBCSN for Pairs and Ice Dance during Nationals as well during the shortened GP Series. Does this mean next year, I have to purchase Peacock Premium to watch those disciplines? I have Verizon FIOS, so Peacock Premium is not part of my package.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually prefer Peacock because there's no obnoxious commentary, but I get it with my Internet/cable service for free. I use it as a streaming app on my TV, and I think it's awesome.
I would have to pay and will not do so. Things have been steadily going downhill since Ice Network folded. This is the worst iteration yet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm disappointed - I watched NBCSN for Pairs and Ice Dance during Nationals as well during the shortened GP Series. Does this mean next year, I have to purchase Peacock Premium to watch those disciplines? I have Verizon FIOS, so Peacock Premium is not part of my package.
I would hope they would be shown on the Olympic Channel. But who knows.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

LOL We all have our secret "I'm such a nerd for liking this" guilty pleasures. No, I'm not naming mine. ;)

Though I will admit to being a big fan of rugby so lucky you!

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I would have to pay and will not do so. Things have been steadily going downhill since Ice Network folded. This is the worst iteration yet.
Well, I would have had to pay for Ice Network, so I had no access for years, except whatever NBC and NBCSN decided to show and international streams. I’ve never thought paying for a streaming service for only one thing is worth it. It’s also why I’ve never been a fan of Flo. I prefer streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, and Disney+ because I have many interests.

Last edited:

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why do the powers that be always make it harder to watch figure skating? Peacock was ok but i still preferred to watch on NBCsn where I could easily pause and rewind.

NaVi

Medalist
OT(here's not really a good recent thread for this), all the content from the WWE Network is going to be put on Peacock. The WWE network actually costed $10 so it's now cheaper for those subscribers

Personally, I haven't watched wrestling since the end of the Attitude Era except for the occasional Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania.