Peter Oppegard being investigated over abuse allegations | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Peter Oppegard being investigated over abuse allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Oppegard had much to to with Yuna Kim's training. Kim did have a small cup of coffee with Michelle's rink after falling out with Brian Orser, but she did not compete in the Grand Prix that yar -- or anywhere, except at th 2011 World championship. After that shee was heavily involved in advance work for th Pyongchang Olympics. When she returned to competition in 2012-13 shee was with a Korean coach.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think that Oppegard had much to to with Yuna Kim's training. Kim did have a small cup of coffee with Michelle's rink after falling out with Brian Orser, but she did not compete in the Grand Prix that yar -- or anywhere, except at th 2011 World championship. After that shee was heavily involved in advance work for th Pyongchang Olympics. When she returned to competition in 2012-13 shee was with a Korean coach.
She trained with Oppegard for the 2010-11 year and he was with her at Worlds. Definitely not just a "small cup of coffee."

b-man

Final Flight
Olivia will be 17 next month. She is in the 2022 rcruiting class for collegiate gymnastics.
My earlier comments on age were wrong, You and el Henry are correct. I think Olivia is a 16 yo level 10 gymnast, and Sophia, 14 yo, is into competitive dance.

isk82

On the Ice
I'm trying to imagine being a parent; paying exorbitant amounts of money towards coaching fees; then seeing a bruise with teeth-marks on her body. Then finding out it came from her coach. Then allowing my daughter to convince me not to say anything about this because it would 'only make things worse.' Then continuing to pay this man to coach my daughter.

This culture has to change. He did these things because he could and everyone around him LET HIM. Without consequence. For years.

I want to believe that I would have knocked this mans teeth out with a pipe for hurting any child much less my daughter.
You are EXACTLY right!!! Can you imagine this happening to your child and allowing them to go to another lesson with the coach? Parents bear some of the responsibility of letting this continue, whether it's figure skating, gymnastics, or softball.

Finley

Record Breaker
You are EXACTLY right!!! Can you imagine this happening to your child and allowing them to go to another lesson with the coach? Parents bear some of the responsibility of letting this continue, whether it's figure skating, gymnastics, or softball.
The fact that so many parents are afraid to report things tells me that this culture has brainwashed them into silence. They believe (understandably) that their child will not be believed. And that their child will suffer consequences. And that these consequences will ultimately cause more damage than remaining silent about the abuse.

Our entire culture needs to change to create an environment where reporting abusive behavior does not have consequences that outweigh doing the right thing. When the consequences of reporting something are worse than the abuse itself.

I can't ever blame a victim for remaining silent. I can't blame a parent for wanting to protect their child. But silence and shame are what feeds this toxic culture. Both need to end. What shames you controls you.

sc8

On the Ice
Really sad news. It hurts to read that the student didn’t want to say anything because she feared it would get worse. Means there was psychological abuse too! That makes me think she had reason to fear worse - and that’s a horrible feeling. Even though I didn’t like that my mom was an ever-present rink mom, as I am older now I appreciate her watchful eye. However, I am more than certain that if my mom saw bite marks on me - I’d fear much more what she would do to Oppegard than anything he’d do to me in the future. Sad that the pressure of this sport and the pursuit of dreams makes people feel they cannot defend themselves or their children without repercussions. I’m glad it’s finally on the surface - so we can weed out these types of coaches from the sport we all love and the victim(s) can work on healing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Please don't speculate. Yes, she was coached by Nabuo Sato, but he never beat her. She has discussed openly that there were Japanese coaches that she did see beat students at the training center she was at in Japan, but not Nabuo. Her own mother on the other hand, beat her instead while in Japan after witnessing it with others (and feeling like Lucinda wasn't working hard enough).
LR was very careful not to name names in her book. But if you read it, it is clear who she is talking about. What is the truth? I dont know but there are those that do know. They just dont talk. In Peter's case, it is the same.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The fact that so many parents are afraid to report things tells me that this culture has brainwashed them into silence. They believe (understandably) that their child will not be believed. And that their child will suffer consequences. And that these consequences will ultimately cause more damage than remaining silent about the abuse.

Our entire culture needs to change to create an environment where reporting abusive behavior does not have consequences that outweigh doing the right thing. When the consequences of reporting something are worse than the abuse itself.

I can't ever blame a victim for remaining silent. I can't blame a parent for wanting to protect their child. But silence and shame are what feeds this toxic culture. Both need to end. What shames you controls you.
Great evil is done when good people do nothing. And it is nothing new. From Bill Cosby to Larry Nassar to John Geddert to film producers to J. Epstein. It scares me to think how many people,,,people we admire.... in our world of figure skating know things and arent talking. So if you do know something, if you are a parent, skater or coach...can you go to Safesport and give a statement anonamously?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
LR was very careful not to name names in her book. But if you read it, it is clear who she is talking about. What is the truth? I dont know but there are those that do know. They just dont talk. In Peter's case, it is the same.
Again, as I said above, it wasn't Nabou who the person I quoted was speculating that it was, and Lucinda has given in depth very open interviews about the abuse in Japan.

Finley

Record Breaker
Great evil is done when good people do nothing. And it is nothing new. From Bill Cosby to Larry Nassar to John Geddert to film producers to J. Epstein. Itto t scares me to think how many people,,,people we admire.... in our world of figure skating know things and arent talking. So if you do know something, if you are a parent, skater or coach...can you go to Safesport and give a statement anonamously?
You can and you should. In my opinion we should all consider ourselves obligated to report suspected abuse of children. I also think if you witness a crime you should report it to the police. If you suspect abuse call Child Protective Services. Don't just rely on Safesport to do whatever it is they do.

withwings

On the Ice
Oh, :cry:... truly, no words... however, i am more than sure P.O. is having a psychological disorder and, like in the most of the cases with psychological disorders, it is very difficult to diagnose them because family, friends tend to think it is " a character"... Unfortunately, usually a treatment comes when it is already too late and, even if it comes early enough, the progress is very slow, if at all. It is much easier with mental diorders because they are too obvious; they are too obvious not to notice them, they are too obvious not to idetify them as a "charachter"... Individuals with psychoogical disorders may hurt very many people around them emotinally, psychologically and even physically Family members always are hurt most. But who I am to make " diagnosis" here, my field is music psychology, not pathology.

Hard to imagine all the sufferigs P.O. has caused to his family, to skaters and to himself.

Last edited:

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Again, as I said above, it wasn't Nabou who the person I quoted was speculating that it was, and Lucinda has given in depth very open interviews about the abuse in Japan.
Then who WAS the abusive coach? Why so secretive? Why protect the name of an abuser? The only way you'd know it is definitely not Nabuo Sato is by knowing from a credible source who it was, so...?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Then who WAS the abusive coach? Why so secretive? Why protect the name of an abuser? The only way you'd know it is definitely not Nabuo Sato is by knowing from a credible source who it was, so...?
It wasn't Nabou and Lucinda Ruh stated it herself, read upthread. It was other coaches beating another student in the freaking rink in Japan she skated in way back when. She openly talked about her own MOTHER beating her when she was training in Japan. I'm not protecting anyone, so stop accusing me of crap. Get a grip.

BTW---This stuff from Lucinda is openly on the internet from sources such as herself and other skaters who interviewed her for podcasts. Go find it.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
however, i am more than sure P.O. is having a psychological disorder
NO!

No making excuses for evil! It is just this sort of stupid garbage talk that allows evil abusers to walk free and harm others. "Oh, he must have some kind of disorder", they say, and then the next thing you know the judge feels sorry for them and lets them off. NO! NO MORE!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
NO!

No making excuses for evil! It is just this sort of stupid garbage talk that allows evil abusers to walk free and harm others. "Oh, he must have some kind of disorder", they say, and then the next thing you know the judge feels sorry for them and lets them off. NO! NO MORE!
It's not an excuse, it's an explanation. As someone with multiple mental disorders that make me extremely frustrated and angry, I've made some bad mistakes in my life. I explain it with my mental illness, however that doesn't excuse my behavior, and I know that. It's still important to look at the reason people do things; it makes treatment for psychological issues more effective in making sure that the same mistakes never happen again if we know what actually caused a person to do something. I never got better at controlling my anger until a therapist asked me why I did what I did while angry.

isk82

On the Ice

I completely get what you're saying. But I have to think that the parent(s) bear responsibility to remove their child from a harmful situation. Chances are this skater would do just fine switching to another coach. Isn't there some anonymity in Safe Sport reporting? Even if people would find out it was her, that's a small price to pay to stop this behavior. Most skaters aren't Olympic-bound and this likely wouldn't have further repercussions, nor hurt their future earning potential. This behavior is reprehensible and once the child tells the parent, the parent needs to remove their child and report it. It's not like the coach is going to stop doing this. They need to be out of the USFSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.