Sondre Oddvoll Bøe | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sondre Oddvoll Bøe

Country
Norway
I don´t want to get my hopes up to much, because there is possibly a lot of things that could go wrong, but I can´t describe how happy this news made me!

This is a scenario I dreamed of. When I mentioned a few post ago that WC in Stockholm would be much easier for him travel-wise, I didn´t really believe it could happen. That there even is a possibility at all that he can qualify makes me really happy.

I´m also a bit confused about how this judging of the video will be done. If he can make several attempts and just send the most clean and best video, it should normally not be a problem for him to reach the TES. Mainly his problem has been nerves and that his FS has never really been clean. Even his best FS at Euros 2019 he popped a double toeloop and his triple triple wasn´t judged clean and he got 60.64 points. With clean program and positive GOE he should easily get past the 64. If they only judge BV and without the GOE, he can make some adjustment in the program and make a plan of how he can maximize the technical content without depending on GOEs. He won´t have the same pressure for this video application as a normal event, I seriously believe this the perfect possibility for Sondre!

What could go "wrong":
- Sondre won´t apply, because he doesn´t feel ready as he hasn´t been competing the whole season and he had already given up Worlds this year.( But I know this is one of his goals, so I believe he will do everything to grab this chance).
- He could have a injurie we don´t know about, which is the actual reason he didn´t compete this autumn. (But from trainings, it doesn´t look like it).
- The Skating Union decides not to fund/send Sondre to Stockholm because they don´t think it´s safe or they havn´t had any concrete result on him this season to justify to send him (I honestly don´t think this will happen as they have sent skaters to speed skating in Netherlands and they know very well what results his capable of)
- He won´t think it´s safe going and he doesn´t want to take the quarantine when returning (I think he easily would make this offer to achieve his DREAM).
- He will get the spot, but WC will be cancelled because of the pandemic and worsening of the situation (British mutation is spreading in Sweden now as well)
- He will have problems to close the borders, because Sweden has closed the borders to Norway because of the mutation (All though, I hope they will let the athletes in or that the borders will be open by then)
- They won´t choose him for several reasons (Too many qualified, doesn´t get the TES, etc.)

Yes, there might be a lot of reasons why we shouldn´t hope too much, but I have a really good feeling this can happen. Sondre is in a really in a good place now and I believe this really is his year to shine and rise further!

Last edited:
Country
Norway
When reading more closely about the rules it seems they only have one chance. Which would totally make more sense, otherwise it would be too easy. Well then there is a lot that could go wrong, but hey - at least he has a chance to qualify this season.

It seems the program must be filmed during February 16th and 19th. In about 2 weeks why might know if he applied and made it :)

DenissVFan

Medalist
When reading more closely about the rules it seems they only have one chance. Which would totally make more sense, otherwise it would be too easy. Well then there is a lot that could go wrong, but hey - at least he has a chance to qualify this season.

It seems the program must be filmed during February 16th and 19th. In about 2 weeks why might know if he applied and made it :)
The announcement says only one video may be submitted, but where does it say there's only one attempt to shoot it?

Country
Norway
The announcement says only one video may be submitted, but where does it say there's only one attempt to shoot it?
In this thread there is more details about the application.

"The ISU Member must send the Notification Form (Appendix A) to the ISU when entering the respective Skater in ORS. The ISU Member has 72h time to submit the video(s) for evaluation.
When submitting the video(s), the respective ISU Member must confirm that the program was performed only once at the time indicated in the Appendix B, and the video(s) submitted represent these performances."

DenissVFan

Medalist
In this thread there is more details about the application.

"The ISU Member must send the Notification Form (Appendix A) to the ISU when entering the respective Skater in ORS. The ISU Member has 72h time to submit the video(s) for evaluation.
When submitting the video(s), the respective ISU Member must confirm that the program was performed only once at the time indicated in the Appendix B, and the video(s) submitted represent these performances."
I see! Still, one chance is better than no chance.

Country
Norway
I see! Still, one chance is better than no chance.

Indeed. So the nerves and only one shot could get in the way of him making the TES. Still, the situation is much better because he won´t be in front of the judges and he already has the SP minimum which means he only needs to apply for the FS. He can fully focus on only practicing the FS now for 2 weeks and at the day the video is being filmed he hasn´t been competing the day before or travelled, so I guess there will be another level of energy and stamina.

The lack of competitions though this season could have affected him in a bad way if he hasn´t been running through the FS as much as usual. And he probably wasn´t excepting to fight for minimums in 2 weeks from now. But still, sometimes not having the pressure and focusing of other things could turn out positive.

This will also be the first time that he performs the Vivaldi FS "in front of judges" and I guess he is ready to show the world the program :)

PS: I have a feeling that we wont know before after if he applied or not. I think Sondre is a person to keep such thing a secret until he knows the outcome.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Indeed. So the nerves and only one shot could get in the way of him making the TES. Still, the situation is much better because he won´t be in front of the judges and he already has the SP minimum which means he only needs to apply for the FS. He can fully focus on only practicing the FS now for 2 weeks and at the day the video is being filmed he hasn´t been competing the day before or travelled, so I guess there will be another level of energy and stamina.

The lack of competitions though this season could have affected him in a bad way if he hasn´t been running through the FS as much as usual. And he probably wasn´t excepting to fight for minimums in 2 weeks from now. But still, sometimes not having the pressure and focusing of other things could turn out positive.

This will also be the first time that he performs the Vivaldi FS "in front of judges" and I guess he is ready to show the world the program :)

PS: I have a feeling that we wont know before after if he applied or not. I think Sondre is a person to keep such thing a secret until he knows the outcome.
Both outcomes have their upsides. If he doesn't make it, we won't have to worry about his health as much as if he does.

Since PCS doesn't count, he can focus exclusively on the elements and try to get the hardest ones out of the way at the very beginning. I think the layout with 2 3Ts doesn't give him a lot of room for error, so maybe he could try 2 3Lzes and 3Fs – I think the judges would like it better because he has 2 2As. At least he's used to being filmed and even did a 3Lz on a lake 😉

Country
Norway
I would love for him to try a more difficult layout. His 3Lz seems very stable, at least as a single jump. Maybe he can have one as a single jumps as well and the usual 3Lz-3T?

Discovery of the day, the Skating Lesson posted the sundown-video on Facebook:

And another beautiful skating video from Sondre today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK1jXgmp3Tn/

The story revealed a camera-man on the ice, i´m suspecting television is there, maybe he will be on the Norwegian news later today or tomorrow? I will watch closely for Sondre.

Maybe he is also filming a commercial or something. Btw, Sondre has passed 12,000 followers on his IG-account. So much interest these days for the ice prince of Norway :love: He is like the male version of Sonja Henie. Sondre Henie? :D

According to the IG-story, Sondre was at the rink to train at 06.25 today! If he applies for the video evaluation for WC, he seems very serious about it!

Country
Norway
Deadline to apply for the video evaluation is tonight and then another 72 hours to send the video! Very exciting. Sondre just posted on Instastory a glimpse from his FS. I don´t think it´s a coincidence that he posted this today, I would say it´s a good chance he is practicing in order to qualify. In that case, good luck to Sondre the next days. I´m really hoping he is applying and that he will make the minimum :pray:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Deadline to apply for the video evaluation is tonight and then another 72 hours to send the video! Very exciting. Sondre just posted on Instastory a glimpse from his FS. I don´t think it´s a coincidence that he posted this today, I would say it´s a good chance he is practicing in order to qualify. In that case, good luck to Sondre the next days. I´m really hoping he is applying and that he will make the minimum :pray:
I thought so too.

Here are some clips of Four Seasons for those who haven't seen them:
https://instagram.com/stories/sondr...urce=ig_story_item_share&igshid=1rrr6rj1ltwne
https://instagram.com/stories/sondr...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=3kyvhspg5wjc
https://instagram.com/stories/sondr...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=f75e6dkzt3np

Country
Norway

I noticed too, a very strong combo indeed. It looks so easy and he looks so strong jumpwise, I hope he can transfer this too when it really matters. He has really leveled up the technical content. With the clips from today and last night from the FS, and new improved content, I am now convinced he is applying and that he will perform really soon. Maybe tomorrow? It´s really nerve-wrecking not knowing when he will perform and when we will know about the results.

I think it´s the first time he does a triple euler triple combination too? I can´t not recall he has done that earlier. Only a double at the end before.

Country
Norway
Looking at the other thread, where scores are listed, it looks he never sent a tape :( I find it odd, because it certainly looked like he rehearsed his FS. My guess would be that he made a try, but it didn´t go well, so he never sent the tape.

It´s too bad, the scores looked a bit inflated so maybe he would have got if he did send it with minor mistakes.

There could also be other reasons I guess.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Looking at the other thread, where scores are listed, it looks he never sent a tape :( I find it odd, because it certainly looked like he rehearsed his FS. My guess would be that he made a try, but it didn´t go well, so he never sent the tape.

It´s too bad, the scores looked a bit inflated so maybe he would have got if he did send it with minor mistakes.

There could also be other reasons I guess.
I replied to you in the other thread. I think it's possible that he submitted the video. Some skaters who entered the video evaluation just didn't beat their best scores in one or both segments and that's why these scores are not included. We don't have a list of people who participated.

Country
Norway
I replied to you in the other thread. I think it's possible that he submitted the video. Some skaters who entered the video evaluation just didn't beat their best scores in one or both segments and that's why these scores are not included. We don't have a list of people who participated.

He must have scored lower than 58 TES if he submitted the tape, if you look at the page with best results from 2021/2020 season. I wish they would release videos from the skates, at this point I just want to see his new FS. I hate to think we have to wait another season to see the new programs!! :(

Country
Norway
I´m heartbroken 😭 I wasn´t mental prepared for this to happen now. It breaks my heart to think never made it to WC or OG. The whole world deserved to enjoy his artistic ability....

I have thought about that he would retire after the OG-season, but not right before.

Unfortunate I think if it wasn´t for this season with Covid, closed rinks, that he didn´t compete all season, I think he would have given next season a try. I had a feeling this was the season to qualify for WC, and to shine with his Vivaldi FS! I´m so heartbroken we will never be able to watch the FS...

At the same time, I completely understand his choice. Chances of going to Beijing now are slim. To qualify in NT when he hasn´t competed for 1,5 years is hard. It´s hard staying motivated, at the same time he has succeeded other ways in his life and it´s probably the right time for him to build his own career otherwise.

All though, I´m sure he will stay in the figure skating environment and do choreographing/coaching.

This will take some time to really sink in.