2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1171 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Is this Sofia Akatieva? She, Kamila, Anna, and Daria are the main programs I've rewatched many times. Also, Maiia's FS at Russian Cup Final. Or is that who SuperSonic is? I was thinking the Sonia/Sonic connection.
Yes, it's the nickname of Sofia Akatieva (as Sonya is a familiar version of Sofia, there comes sonic).

Amei

Record Breaker
I can't find the 'juniors going senior' thread, so I'll ask here- do we know for sure that Usacheva and Khromykh are going senior? It makes sense for them, but I can't find a confirmation anywhere.

The only way I see 1 of them staying in juniors next year is if an unfortunate injury happens and they have to take an extended recovery time.

renebaebae

On the Ice
Something is finally working in the Zhilina camp. Alena has been almost clean in her last two competitions and has won both I think! Praying that this somehow extends to Nika.

What do people think about Nika's inclusion in the junior national team for next season based on her previous season(great potential but horrible consistency)?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
My top 3 performances by Russian ladies this season:

1. Anna Shcherbakova, FS, Russian Nationals
2. Kamila Valieva, SP, Channel 1 Cup
3. Kamila Valieva, FS, Channel 1 Cup

:points:
For me it was:

1. Maria Talalaikina, FS, Cup of Russia stage 1
2. Liza Tuktamysheva, FS, World Championships
3. Anna Shcherbakova, FS, Russian Nationals
Honorary mention to Sasha Trusova, FS, Russian Nationals

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
For me it was:

1. Maria Talalaikina, FS, Cup of Russia stage 1
2. Liza Tuktamysheva, FS, World Championships
3. Anna Shcherbakova, FS, Russian Nationals
Honorary mention to Sasha Trusova, FS, Russian Nationals
From my heart

1. Anna Shcherbakova FS Nationals (Anna amazed me again with her nerves of steel, just incredible)
2. Maria Talalaikina FS Nationals (looooved all Maria's performances of this program, it is just sooo cool, and she sells it so well. I know she hasn't all the goods that others have, but there is two 3Lz+triple combos in there, how many non-Russians can do that?)
3. Alexandra Trusova FS Nationals (the best I have ever seen Sasha, if only she could keep her quadmania in check, this is the result)
4. Kamila Valieva FS Nationals (the first time I saw her as a future champion, don't care much for the program though)
5. Maiia Khromykh RC Final (I still haven't found all the pieces to my jaw that dropped on the floor that day)

Last edited:

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Today, I started reading the 2017-18 Russian Ladies thread and it was fun to relive that season. Of course for me, the interesting drama was the juniors. Tarakanova and Kostornaya just switched to Eteri, Anna broke her leg, Sasha going for the quad, and all the political intrigue of getting places for the JGP. Fun stuff. I kind of breezed through the seniors because I really only liked Zagitova and Tsurskaya. Never a fan of Med's skating or theatrics, and the rest were pretty much the same and were either over the hill or not good enough.
I'm pretty new to these forums. How would you read threads from prior seasons? Thank you!

Now that Aliona has almost got her triple axel back, have predictions for the Olympics team changed?
I imagine that if Aliona keeps her consistency, Sasha will be on the chopping block...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I'm pretty new to these forums. How would you read threads from prior seasons? Thank you!

Now that Aliona has almost got her triple axel back, have predictions for the Olympics team changed?
I imagine that if Aliona keeps her consistency, Sasha will be on the chopping block...
I think it will all come down to Nationals. There is where things are decided, so you just HAVE to perform your best there. The top three will go to Euros, and only if one of these doesn't make the podium, they might change one skater for Olympics.

So I think it's impossible to predict what's going to happen at this point. Even if we get a full GP season next year and someone does well, that doesn't guarantee any spots for the Olympics, it's all about the Nationals.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Go the screen where you see all the forums. Scroll all the way to the bottom. You will see ā€˜members onlineā€™ and just above that there is something that says ā€™Archivesā€˜. There is a little toggle next to it. Click the toggle and you will see all the threads for the past seasons.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland

Aliona keeps her consistency? More like regains it?

Anyway I don't see how making any predictions makes sense. Figure Skating is all about hitting it when it counts, about being in a perfect place with your mind and body in a perfect time.

Skaters lose jumps and get jumps, lose motivation and gain it. Get injured and recover.

We have 3 A, 3 new seniors and one Empress worthy of the seat. And I can't wait to see how it plays out.

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Aliona keeps her consistency? More like regains it?

Anyway I don't see how making any predictions makes sense. Figure Skating is all about hitting it when it counts, about being in a perfect place with your mind and body in a perfect time.

Skaters lose jumps and get jumps, lose motivation and gain it. Get injured and recover.

We have 3 A, 3 new seniors and one Empress worthy of the seat. And I can't wait to see how it plays out.
She has always been quite consistent. Even when Aliona was really out of shape, her skates weren't disastrously messy. She did badly this year, but it wasn't like her base value was very high.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
She has always been quite consistent. Even when Aliona was really out of shape, her skates weren't disastrously messy. She did badly this year, but it wasn't like her base value was very high.
Only that her base value wasn't high because her 3-3s were not consistent?

She really lost all confidence this season, I'm hoping that she can figure it out :)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Only that her base value wasn't high because her 3-3s were not consistent?

She really lost all confidence this season, I'm hoping that she can figure it out :)
The season Kostornaia had last year was incredible. She didn't fall on her 3A even once, and she got lucky she wasn't called for URs a few times. But at Euros I think we can see she was going downwards. She looked a bit tired and her exhibition was even more lacklustre. Most people think she would have won the Worlds last season, but I'm not so sure. I think Shcherbakova (or Trusova, or both) would have overtaken her by then. We will never know how it would have played out...

What I am saying is that it is unlikely that Kostornaia will see such a fantastic season again. She had a wonderful streak. That might not happen again. Unfortunately, I think this "vacation" she had at Plushy's was not good at all. She lost valuable time to solidify things, instead she lost stuff. She has to work twice as hard now to get even near her last season form.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think it will all come down to Nationals. There is where things are decided, so you just HAVE to perform your best there. The top three will go to Euros, and only if one of these doesn't make the podium, they might change one skater for Olympics.

So I think it's impossible to predict what's going to happen at this point. Even if we get a full GP season next year and someone does well, that doesn't guarantee any spots for the Olympics, it's all about the Nationals.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with the whole "it all comes down to Nationals". If 1 of the assumed current favorites for the team were to have good showings at their GP events and GPF but then under-perform at Nationals, I think the Fed would bring in the much loved:laugh2: body of work argument to decide if that skater should still go to Europeans/Olympics. I mean theoretically if they went with the top 3 age-eligible skaters for Nationals goes to Europeans, then if someone under-performs they have to solidify their Olympic team spot at the cup final would likely be the best case scenario for the least amount of drama than bringing in the body of work argument in to determine the team but Feds don't do that because they want to have the final say in who goes. My understanding (and that's based on what I've read on here) is that usually only the top 2 finishers at nationals are guaranteed spots at Europeans, everything else is subject to the coach's council.

Azikin

Medalist
What I am saying is that it is unlikely that Kostornaia will see such a fantastic season again. She had a wonderful streak. That might not happen again. Unfortunately, I think this "vacation" she had at Plushy's was not good at all. She lost valuable time to solidify things, instead she lost stuff. She has to work twice as hard now to get even near her last season form.
It may actually be good to her. After this "vacation at Plush", she probably set her priorities right in her head, which can be the most important thing. So I wouldn't count her out.. :cool:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I don't know if I necessarily agree with the whole "it all comes down to Nationals". If 1 of the assumed current favorites for the team were to have good showings at their GP events and GPF but then under-perform at Nationals, I think the Fed would bring in the much loved:laugh2: body of work argument to decide if that skater should still go to Europeans/Olympics. I mean theoretically if they went with the top 3 age-eligible skaters for Nationals goes to Europeans, then if someone under-performs they have to solidify their Olympic team spot at the cup final would likely be the best case scenario for the least amount of drama than bringing in the body of work argument in to determine the team but Feds don't do that because they want to have the final say in who goes. My understanding (and that's based on what I've read on here) is that usually only the top 2 finishers at nationals are guaranteed spots at Europeans, everything else is subject to the coach's council.
Yes, I think the rule is that the top two at Nationals goes to Euros. Then the council decides the third spot. But history shows that they almost always goes for the 3rd best senior.

Except
2003 - Volchkova injured at Nationals, but sent to Euros over Basova.
2018 - Medvedeva injured at Nationals,, but sent to Euros over Konstantinova.

There's been a couple of other cases of ladies not sent to Euros, but then injuries have been the cause.

You have to medal at Euros though, or you might be swapped for (Olympics)/Worlds. Like Konstantinova in 2019. I have never seen any case where the GPs/GPF have mattered at all. And the RCF is usually at the end of February, the Olympics is before that.

So to me it looks like there is only two options if you don't place top three at Nationals:
- don't show up at nationals at all, and hope the council will have mercy on you
- hope that someone selected has a terrible skate at Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.