2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Kamila is not invincible, she has been beaten by Anna and Sasha before. If she has a performance like her cup final fp at nationals, I doubt she would even podium.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Kamila is not invincible, she has been beaten by Anna and Sasha before. If she has a performance like her cup final fp at nationals, I doubt she would even podium.
Nobody is invincible, but there are a lot more "ifs" with most of her competitors (apart from Anna perhaps) then there are "ifs" with her.

Also at the cup finals it was the very first time she put a 4S, 3A and two 4Ts into one free program so it was a lot like an experimental skate in a competition that meant only a little for her. Remember that at the start of the season Kamila's 4T was very wild, often with a lean axis and many people predicted that she won't be able to deliver two clean attempts in one program. Kamila answered those doubts very soon :)

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Prefixes are much worse.
"По дороге домой я [...]шёл в магазин."
There is no rational explanation for why it should be "зашёл" instead of "вшёл" or something. You can only memorize it, along with the other 40,000 instances.
You are seriously mistaken.
First, what does it mean "вшёл"? You probably wanted to write "вошёл"?
Secondly, of course there is a difference between "зашёл" and "вошёл". In this video, the Spanish Nuria who is studying Russian explains the difference just in your example "enter the store". Quoting Nuria "зайти", "зашёл" - it's mean "walk past the store, go in for a minute, and then get out", equivalent of "по пути домой я заскочил в магазин"
That awkward moment when a Spanish girl knows your native language better than you do :biggrin:
But seriously Nuria says at the beginning of the video that Russian "verbs of movement" is one of the biggest challenges in the Russian language for her.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
First, what does it mean "вшёл"? You probably wanted to write "вошёл"?
Secondly, of course there is a difference between "зашёл" and "вошёл". In this video, the Spanish Nuria who is studying Russian explains the difference just in your example "enter the store".
You cannot just figure it out that there is no word "вшёл", only "вошёл", and there is no indication that of the two possible verbs only "зашёл" is correct. The author of the video doesn't explain it, because there is no rational explanation, only common usage.
Of course, the correct variants are too obvious for a native speaker, so only foreigners normally notice such nuances.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agree, I think Trusova is the 1 most at risk of getting booted off the team of the 3 we all seem to have penciled in on the team (Shcherbakova, Valieva, Trusova) as she's the most unreliable 1 of the last 2 seasons and based on her own words of wanting to go for the 5 quads she's going to be all jumps, she gets bailed out that she can throw 4-5 quads and even if she falls on them can still manage 4-5 points a piece; I think if another skater pops up next season with a consistent quad and/or triple axel that the Fed would rather go with that skater over gambling on Trusova.
The problem I have with Trusova going for 5 quads is that, because of the long set-ups, there is no interesting choreography going on. Landing two or three and missing a few is still an impressive athletic feat, but it's hard to enjoy the empty program unless she hits all the technical elements to elevate the performance.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The problem I have with Trusova going for 5 quads is that, because of the long set-ups, there is no interesting choreography going on. Landing two or three and missing a few is still an impressive athletic feat, but it's hard to enjoy the empty program unless she hits all the technical elements to elevate the performance.
That, but have you really looked at Nathan Chen's programs? I wish Sasha would duplicate any one of Nathan's LP's and just quad quad quad with some fun dancy footworky random excitement in between. Would Sasha be held to a higher stand being a young woman and not a male jumping bean? I'd love to see Sasha repeat his program from this year and then see how PCS is a farce.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
That, but have you really looked at Nathan Chen's programs? I wish Sasha would duplicate any one of Nathan's LP's and just quad quad quad with some fun dancy footworky random excitement in between. Would Sasha be held to a higher stand being a young woman and not a male jumping bean? I'd love to see Sasha repeat his program from this year and then see how PCS is a farce.
At the moment she doesn't have the capacity to do so. With 3 quads (e.g. at RusNats) she has a bit of attention to spare for performance, but at 5 quads it's gone. Nathan's 5 quads are more secure and he takes less time going into them than other quadsters so he has some breathing room to perform the step sequence and choreo sequence properly. Sasha's quad entrances take longer and she's less consistent on them, so she has to concentrate more to get them landed, which means less energy devoted to performance.

If anything I think Sasha tends to get better PCS than a man with the same technical content would, as demonstrated at Worlds.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don’t know if anyone here has read the book on Trusova, but it definitely explains a lot. It seems that her personality has always been that if she wants something, she will fight for it until she gets it. She also seems to have been very athletic since childhood. I have no doubt that for better or worse she will continue to play the quad game until she gets it.

I think she is fully capable - she just needs to figure out a different way to play the game

Amei

Record Breaker

At the moment she doesn't have the capacity to do so. With 3 quads (e.g. at RusNats) she has a bit of attention to spare for performance, but at 5 quads it's gone. Nathan's 5 quads are more secure and he takes less time going into them than other quadsters so he has some breathing room to perform the step sequence and choreo sequence properly. Sasha's quad entrances take longer and she's less consistent on them, so she has to concentrate more to get them landed, which means less energy devoted to performance.

If anything I think Sasha tends to get better PCS than a man with the same technical content would, as demonstrated at Worlds.

Agree, if she is hell bent on going for the 5 quads, I think that best case scenario is they do it from the get go, so hopefully she gets a bit more comfortable with it and hopefully can get a bit more choreography and hopefully they get her on a shorter setup time on the quad.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agree, I think Trusova is the 1 most at risk of getting booted off the team of the 3 we all seem to have penciled in on the team (Shcherbakova, Valieva, Trusova) as she's the most unreliable 1 of the last 2 seasons and based on her own words of wanting to go for the 5 quads she's going to be all jumps, she gets bailed out that she can throw 4-5 quads and even if she falls on them can still manage 4-5 points a piece; I think if another skater pops up next season with a consistent quad and/or triple axel that the Fed would rather go with that skater over gambling on Trusova.
Only in Russia can the current WSM not be in the mix. And the former World champion and OSM not even considered for top 8 in Russia.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I have one question. How it influences belonging or not to the national team and the allocation of spots in the gp?

Amei

Record Breaker
I have one question. How it influences belonging or not to the national team and the allocation of spots in the gp?

My understanding is that the national team whether you are on the main, reserve or not at all is really just about funding from the state. Additionally cities like St. Petersburg and Moscow have city teams that provide funding to skaters.

Arbitrary

Medalist
What does this even mean??
Trying to explain.
There is a common consensus Tutberidze wasn't too happy with two renegades. Now both were allowed to return and sleep at the entry steps.
One found herself among Six of Elite and another is spared. Tutberidze could decide this or that but totally abstented. She didn't support the first returned and didn't kill the career of the second one.
Smartest move it looks like.

spicymacaron

On the Ice
What.
First of all, I really doubt that Eteri has that much influence in the first place.
And even if she did, why would she ruin her reputation for being unbiased to sabotage her own students? Her salary also depends on her students' success so she would want all of them to have every chance of winning.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So does this mean Evgenia is really finished?| Was she seriously going to compete?| Does this mean no Grand Prix spots for her? how is her health? What does she have for ammunition? was Alina really coming bck?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
So does this mean Evgenia is really finished?| Was she seriously going to compete?| Does this mean no Grand Prix spots for her? how is her health? What does she have for ammunition? was Alina really coming bck?
Alina and Med were never coming back. Certainly Alina. But Med really had no hope for a comeback. I'm sure her Eteri technique could still make her champion of the US or Canada in her 20s, but in Russia she's not even a top 10 skater anymore. I'm glad she finally came to her senses.