Recognition of skating performance by musicians (and other artists!) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Recognition of skating performance by musicians (and other artists!)

lappo

Final Flight
I think Milva made a comment for Shoma's Roco program, but I can't remember exactly.
R.I.P., Milva.
This one: https://fyshomauno.tumblr.com/post/161825541645/dear-eggplant-i-hope-everything-is-fine-with-you/amp (translation: I'm pleased that 19 years old Shoma Uno placed second at figure skating worlds in Helsinki, skating to the song "Balada para uno loco" by Astor Piazzolla, performed by me. I wish you well Shoma Uno).
Unfortunately the Italian singer Milva died after a long health battle yesterday; R.I.P.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Virtue and Moir got some shoutouts for their 2018 Olympic programs.

Baz Luhrmann tweeted about their FD a couple of times, plus was interviewed about it afterwords.
And Patti Hansen (wife of Kieth Richards of the Rolling Stones) posted about their SD, but I can't find the link now.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Also, this article has opinions of several dancers about figure skating in general and some skaters in particular (it is a bit dated though): https://www.salon.com/2010/02/17/dancers_on_figure_skating/
"In terms of watching it, I think of it as a closer relative to dance that emphasizes virtuosity and spectacle -- like classical ballet, Broadway-style jazz, even "Riverdance," all of which have a kind of "look what I can do" mentality -- than what we call "postmodern" dance."

On point! (No pun intended). I like this person's acknowledgement that some forms of dance are also showy and bravura, rather than outright dismissing skating for being spectacular. Classical ballet variations are practically made to show off technical skill, that's why many dancers break the fourth wall and bow to applause in the middle of a Petipa narrative ballet...
As for datedness, it would be interesting to do a follow-up interview now... Back in 2010 Jason Brown wasn't around :p

LutzDance

On the Ice
"In terms of watching it, I think of it as a closer relative to dance that emphasizes virtuosity and spectacle -- like classical ballet, Broadway-style jazz, even "Riverdance," all of which have a kind of "look what I can do" mentality -- than what we call "postmodern" dance."

On point! (No pun intended). I like this person's acknowledgement that some forms of dance are also showy and bravura, rather than outright dismissing skating for being spectacular. Classical ballet variations are practically made to show off technical skill, that's why many dancers break the fourth wall and bow to applause in the middle of a Petipa narrative ballet...
As for datedness, it would be interesting to do a follow-up interview now... Back in 2010 Jason Brown wasn't around :p
Thank you for pointing this out! I often lament the lack of “post-modern” choreography in figure skating, whereas the ballet/dance world has gone through Diaghilev, Balanchine, Ashton, MacMillan, Robbins, Béjart, Cunningham...and moved on to Ratmansky, McGregor, Pite, Khan and so many more, each of which has a collection of work that distinctively removes “look what I can do” from the foreground and let the music and creativity speak for themselves. In all fairness I’m a fan of “classical ballet”, “Broadway-style jazz”, and “even Riverdance”;), to the degree that I’ve paid to watch live performances of each genre (and multiple times in the case of classical ballet). What I want is not any one thing, but diversity. But at the same time, this is making me want to make a new thread just for skating programs that can be considered post modern :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How could I not mention this earlier... Govardo acknowledged Piper and Paul rendition of their Vincent.

« C’est vraiment spécial de voir des patineurs artistiques prendre votre narration et la développer », s’est exclamé Dom. « Ce fut le point saillant de notre année. »

My translation

It's very special to see figure skaters take your narrative and develop it -
said Dom (Dom Sky and Jack Rose are Govardo's musicians)
It was the highlight of our year.

lappo

Final Flight

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Narry Jenkins, director of Moonlight, about Jimmy Ma's performance to "Turn Down for what": https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/951855863953686528
The same performance earned Jimmy Ma a place in the music video for rapper Rich Brian "Cold": https://www.vulture.com/2018/02/rich-brians-new-video-is-totally-a-yuri-on-ice-homage.html
Also, Yuri on Ice is entirely an appreciation for multiple skaters from the mangaka and the various people involved in the making.
oh YOI!!! That's true that it is an expression of appreciation for many skaters. I watched the first series back then ... did they do a second season? (sorry for being off-topic briefly)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A couple Jason Brown shout outs from this past season:

Composer Alexey Kosenko posted a video of Jason's performance to Melancholy on his VK page with the comment (translated):

It's nice when you hear your track like this!)))))) Unexpectedly

Patricia Kelly / Gene Kelly Estate tweeted about Jason's performance of Slaughter on 10th Avenue after US Nationals:

@jasonbskates Thank you for the beautiful nod to my late husband @GeneKellyLegacy @PatriciaWKelly xxx

American singer Eva Cassidy died in 1996 at age 33. She was virtually unknown in the U.S., but two years afetr her death her reditions of Fields of Gold and Over the Rainbow were released in the U.K. and she became (posthumously) an overnight sensation there, and in other countries of Europe.

Michelle Kwan is widely credited with bringing Fields of Gold "back to America" with her emotional gala performance at the 2002 Olympic games. Michelle continued to use this program in exhibitions throughout the next saeaon. At a performance for Champions on Ice in 2003, Cassidy's family presented her backstage with a gold record, which the album "Songbird" had just acheived, honoring Michelle's comtribution to its success.

Krisdti Yamaguchi, Sarah Hughes and Kimmie Meissner also skated to songs from this album.

From left, Hugh Cassidy (Eva's father), Michelle, record producer Bill Straw, Barbara Cassidy, (Eva's mother).

(Added in proof): The relatively obscur British composer William Alwyn died in 1985 and never met Michelle. But his harp concerto Lyra Angelica had a burst of attention and became his most famous work when Michelle skated to it in 1998. (It was a favorite of Michelle's choreographer Lori Nichol.)

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
American singer Eva Cassidy died in 1996 at age 33.She was virtually unknown in the U.S.., but two years afetr her death her reditions of Fields of Gold and Over the Rainbow were released in the U.K. and she became (posthumously) an overnight sensation there, and in other countries of Europe.

Michelle Kwan is widely credited with bringing Fields of Gold "back to America" with her emotional gala performance at the 2002 Olympic games. Michelle continued to use this program in exhibitions throughout the next saeaon. At a performance for Champions on Ice in 2003, Cassidy's family presented her backstage with a gold record, which the album "Songbird" had just acheived, honoring Michelle's comtribution to its success.

Krisdti Yamaguchi, Sarah Hughes and Kimmie Meissner also skated to songs from this album.

From left, Hugh Cassidy (Eva's father), Michelle, record producer Bill Straw, Barbara Cassidy, (Eva's mother).
Wow, I can't believe this post. My husband started listening to her a couple of months ago. He loves her rendition of Over the Rainbow and he asked me if any skater was using her music. Thank you for this post.