Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Wow no Medvedeva - though there is theRostelecom host spot open, interesting that Sinistaya got 2 GP assignments but Nugumanova didn't get any and she's on the national team (reserve).
Two years ago Gubanova was on the Reserve Team, AND she was on the SB24 list, but still didn't get a GP.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
I'm thrilled that Madeline Schizas got 2 spots ! Well deserve girl ! :clap:

I'm sad to not see thoses skaters having a least one spot :( :

Evgenia Medvedeva
Gabrielle Daleman
Marin Honda
Nicolas Nadeau
Gracie Gold

I hope that one of these 5 skaters get a host pick ! 🙏

I love them all and I'm sad that they don't have at least one grand prix spot.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Evgenia Medvedeva
Gabrielle Daleman
Marin Honda
Nicolas Nadeau
Gracie Gold

Personally, I think it's better that Daleman and Gold ease back into it with Senior Bs instead.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
That was to be expected.
National team tag - only about money, not assignments. Ksenia has an international SB and rating, Liza N. doesn‘t, she last was on international competition probably during her jgp days.
Besides, Ksenia trying 4Ts last season probably put her as higher priority on Rusfed‘s list.
Nugumanova was 3rd at Warzaw Cup 2019/2020 season so she was on the SB list as 37th. She still got two Russians above her, Frolova at 34th and Tarakanova at 25th. And those two didn't get a GP either. Sinitsyna was 11th on that list, and Samodurova is still 11th on the WS list as they haven't changed it because of COVID. So too many Russian girls ahead makes it impossible for Nugumanova to get a spot. I'm pretty sure the host spot at Rostelecom will probably go to Khromykh (or perhaps Samodurova).

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
They have obviously taken the SB list from season 2019-2020 into account. My guess is that they merged last season with 19-20 season. That would explain why both Samsonov and Sinitsyna got 2 assignments as they were both high on that list, and they didn't compete at all last season.
No, it does not explain it. The lists of the 2019/20 season even give Petr and Andrei more rights to two spots. Andrei won Gold!!! at Junior Worlds and is in the Top SB 24 list. That is usually a 100% guarantee for two GP spots. Also he is 53 places above Samsonov in the WS list. Also Petr may not be in the Top 24 SB list, but he is in the Top 24 WS list and won bronze at Junior Worlds and therefore has the same, if not more rights to two spots as Samsonov, and considering that he had a much better season than Samsonov last season (Petr won bronze at Rostelecom Cup and silver at the Cup Final!) it should have been given to him.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice

Evgenia Medvedeva
Gabrielle Daleman
Marin Honda
Nicolas Nadeau
Gracie Gold

There's still an unfilled host pick at Skate America, that will almost certainly be either Gracie or Audrey Shin.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
No, it does not explain it. The lists of the 2019/20 season even give Petr and Andrei more rights to two spots. Andrei won Gold!!! at Junior Worlds and is in the Top SB 24 list. That is usually a 100% guarantee for two GP spots. Also he is 53 places above Samsonov in the WS list. Also Petr may not be in the Top 24 SB list, but he is in the Top 24 WS list and won bronze at Junior Worlds and therefore has the same, if not more rights to two spots as Samsonov, and considering that he had a much better season than Samsonov last season (Petr won bronze at Rostelecom Cup and silver at the Cup Final!) it should have been given to him.
Yes I agree with you. But being top 24 in the SB or WS list only guarantees one spot. Probably Russia ran out of spots and gave a second spot to Samsonov for some reason. But I'm pretty upset too that Gumennik and Mozalev only got one. One of them will probably get the host spot at Rostelecom though.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree that that one is a head-scratcher. I would have thought USFS would fight hard to have their marquee ladies’ hopeful at Skate America. There must have been some horse-trading there, to achieve some larger objective.
Isn't Alysa still in the process of building her way back? She had a decent showing at 2021 U.S. Nationals, and recently, she appears to have been getting her 3-axel back. But that doesn't mean she's in full competitive shape and confidence to go out and land quads and 3-axels consistently and cleanly.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Rusfed is probably not considering last seasons domestic results when nominating their skaters for GPs. Otherwise Sinitsina also barely would’ve gotten 2 assignments, considering she pretty much missed the whole season.

WS-wise of course Petr and Andrei would be higher than Samsonov, that’s obvious. He only had that one junior season and had to withdraw from JrWorlds, of course he doesn’t have the same WS score as others. He couldn’t attend the same amount of competitions as guys older than him, but he still managed to get good results for his age by getting a higher SB than them, qualifying and medaling at debut JGPF.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I so hope Corona travel regulations allow me to go to Rostelecom: Mishina/Galllyamov, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Liza Tuktik, SinKats, Moris, Misha and Yuzu!!!! :cheer2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
tZhou I understand better (he did get his world bronze after all) than Samsonov over Boyang and Mozalev, because despite bright hopes Samsonov didn’t deliver in medals.
I understand Zhou as well. In the US, he is the reigning Silver Medalist and I truly hope his Bomb at Worlds was a fluke. He needs to show the US Fed and Fans that that was a one time thing.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
I have to wonder why Skate America didn't offer Alysa a spot instead of Skate Canada?
Brady has a high ranking (right under Trusova-w/out the newest results factored in) so she gets some say in not wanting to compete against Liu. I think. 1-3 control their own destinys, but higher ranking gets some leverage as well.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I understand Zhou as well. In the US, he is the reigning Silver Medalist and I truly hope his Bomb at Worlds was fluke. He needs to show the US Fed and Fans that that was a one time thing.
For sure. I am really hoping to see beautiful skates from him this season!

edit: who are the potential candidate for Skate America host spot for men? Hiwatashi and Naumov?

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For sure. I am really hoping to see beautiful skates from him this season!

edit: who are the potential candidate for Skate America host spot for men? Hiwatashi and Naumov?

Tomoki has two assignments already, SC and NHK. Naumov is a possibility, as is Ilia Malinin. ETA: Although Ilia may be staying junior. There is also Jimmy Ma, which would be a crowd favorite.

I'm sending up a prayer for my boy Andrew T.:pray: I don't think Yaro Paniot is high enough on "The List", but I really don't know.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, no Hiwatashi… so Naumov, Ma, and to a lesser degree Torgashev or Paniot? I don’t really see Malinin going into seniors either. Looking forward to seeing him in juniors though!

randomfan

Record Breaker
Interesting that Japan didn’t seem to mind putting their very top skaters (minus Yuma) together in NHK for both men and ladies (Yuzuru and Shoma, Kaori and Rika). Even without NHK, they would’ve been guaranteed a second spot elsewhere and one of the host spots for each could’ve been used for skaters who needed them more.

I guess for ladies they just really wanted their national champion to be there but since Kaori was the only seeded skater they wanted her too? But for mens, I really can’t understand…:confused: Yes, Yuzuru and Shoma were not in the same seeds but surely they could have still separated the two? Since they needed to have either Yuma or Yuzuru at NHK, they could’ve had Shoma elsewhere and I don’t think there would’ve been a problem with that.

Amei

Record Breaker
Oh, no Hiwatashi… so Naumov, Ma, and to a lesser degree Torgashev or Paniot? I don’t really see Malinin going into seniors either. Looking forward to seeing him in juniors though!

I think Torgashev retired. Paniot or Hiwatashi makes the most sense as they have the goods to challenge for a podium spot- I'd give the nod to Paniot since he's the most capable of actually possibly medaling doing 3 quads including the Flip, Naumov doesn't do a quad (or at least he didn't last year), Ma's inconsistent on his.