Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Stepanova & Bukin got thrown to the wolves by RusFed. Likely to miss the Final with those assignments. Conversely, congratulations to Guignard & Fabbri, who unexpectedly got two easy silver medal assignments despite being the sixth seed.
Would the fed have known who else was being assigned to the different grand prixs? I thought it was just bad luck. Definitely looks unlikely that they will not be in the final which is disappointing.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
How Samsonov with a WS of 79 got two GP spots over Petr and Andrei who are 50 spots above him, is beyond my level of comprehension. Guess RusFed's favoritism for one camp pulled through again.
Does WS weigh more than SB? Samsonov has a better SB than both, he’s in top24 in SB list.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Does WS weigh more than SB? Samsonov has a better SB than both, he’s in top24 in SB list.
Andrei's and Samsonov's WS have no weight because they're not in the top 24. Petr's too because he got GP because of the bronze medal from JWC and he could get the second one only thanks to SB.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, I'm a bit surprised that Ilia Malinin isn't on anywhere. Hopefully he gets the TBA spot for Skate America.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
And he’s skating in GPs. So I am confused.
I am not. Nathan is very careful when it comes to the current situation. My assumption is he wants to minimize international travel. The 4th wave is likely coming due to the Delta variant, the UK is already largely affected and it's starting to spread in other countries as well.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And he’s skating in GPs. So I am confused.
When I said sabbatical, I meant from Yale, not from skating. ;) He is concentrating on skating this year.

I believe I have read that Nathan is contemplating simply retiring after the Olys, but I would defer to others if I have this incorrect.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
When I said sabbatical, I meant from Yale, not from skating. ;) He is concentrating on skating this year.

I believe I have read that Nathan is contemplating simply retiring after the Olys, but I would defer to others if I have this incorrect.
I think what he has said is that after the Olympics, he will concentrate on studies for at least a year. Then reassess if he wants to resume competing.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
How Samsonov with a WS of 79 got two GP spots over Petr and Andrei who are 50 spots above him, is beyond my level of comprehension. Guess RusFed's favoritism for one camp pulled through again.
They have obviously taken the SB list from season 2019-2020 into account. My guess is that they merged last season with 19-20 season. That would explain why both Samsonov and Sinitsyna got 2 assignments as they were both high on that list, and they didn't compete at all last season.