Jason Brown | Page 854 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think Jason will peak in his career this Olympic season, so I don't see him retiring after 21-22. With all the setbacks from previous seasons, this season seems only the beginning of seeing him at full potential. But that's just my impression and gut feeling. That being said, I see him going for maybe two more seasons besides this one, I don't see him wanting to do 2026, but who knows... (again, just my impression and speculation).
I agree that he has a couple more seasons in him, but it will depend on how well he does this season and how he feels after that. He has said he may go on. And that would be great! But I agree that he is unlikely to go another 4 years on an Olympic cycle. I think he would love to spend a year in Japan and skate ice shows, maybe 2 years? He wants to become fluent, so that would be an opportunity. And he does want to finish his degree. So there will be a lot of decisions to be considered and made after the end of his season in 2022.

noskates

Record Breaker
I hope y'all are right but I don't think Jason will continue after the Olys. I do hope he stays in the skating world though. He's so awesome with children and would probably make an excellent coach. What I will miss the most is his dedication to his performance and the style of skating that made me love the sport in the first place. This is when I bemoan the fact that the professional competitions and professional ice shows have all but gone away. He would have such a fantastic career in the professional skating arena.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
Speaking of ice shows ..whatever happened to them? I never hear of any in the u.s. Long ago, I recall there was the Ice Capades, and I think others.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Speaking of ice shows ..whatever happened to them? I never hear of any in the u.s. Long ago, I recall there was the Ice Capades, and I think others.
Ice Shows disappeared during the pandemic. They are still around, but they are smaller and there are fewer of them. They do thrive in Russia and Japan, however. And skaters can earn a good living doing those shows. The Russian shows seem to be all Russian casts. But the Japanese shows do bring in skaters from elsewhere. Jason was actually supposed to skate in Japan in 2020 with Zhenya's Sailor Moon show, but it was a victim of the pandemic. It never happened. Scott Hamilton sent his Stars on Ice Show out for many years. I saw one in Allentown PA a few years ago. But the next year when it traveled it wasn't scheduled for anywhere near me and then got shut down. One of those travels Canada as well. But the opportunity to make millions of dollars skating like the Brians did and Peggy Fleming did, are only available in Japan now as far as I know. And only for big stars of course. Stars on Ice was a fun show. Back in the 90s I did see a Champions on Ice show that was fun also. The only skater I can remember, though, was Irina Slutskaya doing her cowboy number. Memory is funny.

noskates

Record Breaker
The ice shows got progressively less popular with the diminishing coverage of figure skating on television, the lack of many major well-known stars that the public was interested in seeing, and very poor attendance. I went to Stars on Ice and the World Champion Figure Skating Show (cant remember the exact name but it was produced by Tom Collins) for years and years. The last time I went to SOI in San Jose, about 5 years ago, it was held on Mother's Day and there were maybe 3000 people - if that - in the arena. The major draw was Charlie and Meryl but most of the other skaters were not that well-known to anybody but figure skating fans. After going to a skating show on Mother's Day for a few years and irritating my family, I just stopped going. Figure skating lost the casual viewer. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg - what came first, the lack of TV coverage or the overall lack of interest because that casual viewer didn't know any of the skaters anymore. Just my opinion, of course.

AWWW - thanks Bookseller. Champions on Ice was the other show in the US. I think the ice shows were on the way out way before the pandemic though.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
Bookseller and noskates- Thanks for the informative replies. It’s a shame about the ice shows. And so disappointing that there’s no way for most of us to watch talented skaters continue to perform after they’ve left competition. ☹️

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Rohene has skated in Holiday on Ice, a European Show. I kind of hoped Jason might skate in it sometime. There is also Art On Ice.
There are quite a few ice shows around, but not many in the US and they aren't big buck productions except for maybe Cirque de Soleil and in Russia and Japan. You can make a modest living doing ice shows. Very few can make a good living doing ice shows now. The US used to be very dominant in singles skating and still is, but not AS dominant. Casual viewers think that the only medal that counts is Gold. It's been a while since a US singles Skater has won gold. Evan was the last, I believe. And a lot of the attention to Olympic Sports was connected to the cold war. The dynamic has changed. Time change and some things get more popular and some get less popular. Most kids doing sport training in this country tend to try the big name, big buck sports and from that comes overall interest. Football, Baseball, to a lesser extent Hockey.

Compare to Gymnastics. The US wins gold medals. So interest is much higher, more kids go into it and more interest is paid. But not nearly as much as our success might lead one to expect. It will be a marquis event at the Olympics, but it's more or less an every 4 year sport, like Figure Skating.

If Nathan Chen wins gold, then maybe interest will rise. We'll see!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rohene's photos from Holiday on Ice were fascinating, they put on quite a production.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I see Japanese ice shows in Jason's future. He moves to Japan, perfects his Japanese, coaches adorable young kids and skates in shows.

And I will have a sad selfishly for me🥲 but be happy for Jason :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Rohene's photos from Holiday on Ice were fascinating, they put on quite a production.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I see Japanese ice shows in Jason's future. He moves to Japan, perfects his Japanese, coaches adorable young kids and skates in shows.

And I will have a sad selfishly for me🥲 but be happy for Jason :)
It is definitely something he wants to do. He's said that he'd like to spend a couple of years skating, coaching, teaching and living in Japan. Maybe he'll end up with a totally cute Japanese boyfriend too!

sdwyer52

On the Ice
It is definitely something he wants to do. He's said that he'd like to spend a couple of years skating, coaching, teaching and living in Japan. Maybe he'll end up with a totally cute Japanese boyfriend too!
Rohene skates in a show out of NY too. I think they will work together when he retires from competition. I’d like him to stay with USFS in some capacity, but not sure how. I think he will have many options and hopefully enjoy trying many different things. He will be a success in anything he does because of his attitude toward life.

noskates

Record Breaker
Actually - if Nathan does win the OGM it might bring some popularity in the US back to the sport. He's great fun to watch and the OGM would attract the attention of the casual fan. That might be what it takes. I agree that it's very sad that SOI, especially, has such limited dates. I would love to see the Canadian version with Kurt Browning this year. I can totally see Jason skating in Japan! But I agree with El - good for him but we'd never see it
:console:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Jason would be wise not to make a rash decision after the Olympic season - though this is Jason we're talking about, rash decisions aren't his go ;)

We already know Nathan does not intend to continue after Beijing and I had read somewhere that Zhou isn't continuing either. With those two not continuing, and thus far none of the younger skaters really shining or showing any type of consistency, Jason has a huge opportunity. He will be the veteran and the undisputed best skater in the US.

I'd love to see Jason crowned National Champion one more time before....well.

noskates

Record Breaker
I, too, would love to see Jason win another Nats. But I doubt at his age that he'll stay in competition. I really don't think he'll continue after the Olympics. But I also don't agree that some of the younger men aren't capable of stepping up. Will there be another Nathan or another Jason? Who knows. I think Camden Pulkinen has the chops - just needs the consistency. Dinh Tran is another skater that gets better and better each year. I'm not ready to write off some of the youngsters coming up. I don't think there will ever be another Jason though.👍

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think Jason would be wise not to make a rash decision after the Olympic season - though this is Jason we're talking about, rash decisions aren't his go ;)

We already know Nathan does not intend to continue after Beijing and I had read somewhere that Zhou isn't continuing either. With those two not continuing, and thus far none of the younger skaters really shining or showing any type of consistency, Jason has a huge opportunity. He will be the veteran and the undisputed best skater in the US.

I'd love to see Jason crowned National Champion one more time before....well.
That is an interesting scenario, actually. Nathan hasn't completely ruled out another Olympic run, but he's going back to school after this Olympics. If he decides to re-enter the fray, it will probably be after he graduates from Yale and before grad school. I think Vince will retire from competition. It's hard to predict whether a new star will pop up in the two years after this Olympics. But we'll see. A lot will depend on whether Jason makes the team this year, a scenario that I see as likely but not assured, and whether Nathan does win the OGM, which I think is likely. If they all stay healthy and have good skates, it will be an exciting year! I am going to be at Nats, and I really want to see Jason on that podium. And I agree. I would love to see him get one more Nat Championship. 2023 could be that year. I'm sure that Brian and Tracy would love having him at Cricket for another year. So much to speculate about!

And let's face it, none of us want to contemplate figure skating without Jason. I have other skaters who I love and will be interested in seeing, but not at the same level as my interest in Jason. He's skating to me!

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I genuinely would be so excited if Jason continued skating for another year or two. After this Olympic cycle, I have a feeling we'll lose a lot of top skaters (Yuzu, Vincent, Nathan, etc.), and especially if he gets a consistent quad, I think Jason can win the US title and make it on to the GPF, medal at multiple GP events, 4CC, etc. Plus, he's such a unique, one-in-a-generation skater that I would hate to see him retire.