Indeed...can you imagine the brouhaha from such gems as:

"No-one cares who's Russian National Champion"
And
"What did you learn from (training) with Alexei Yagudin?"
"Nothing."

Skating Twitter would have a cow :laugh2:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
No, not the drama behind the scene, just how the competition unfolds, how the individual careers shape up, when the outcome is unknown 😊

For example, the junior women are starting just now, and I am on the edge of my chair 🤣🤣🤣
I respect this approach haha. Better to stay drama-free in this thing...

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I am just going forward. I tried watching older gen skaters, but I found them not as interesting as the current ones, and without the drama and the stakes of the competition, it’s just not the same. So for me figure skating sort of started with Uno and Zagitova in 2018
Understandable. I know a lot of new fans can't really appreciate what came before what is now because it doesn't seem as exciting. What's funny is back then, that was exciting. Sasha was all bendy and flexible and everyone was impressed...until Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu came along and outdid her...and then until Julia Lipnitskaya came along and outdid them. The sport is always growing and evolving.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For the Junior Men:

If the JGPF had been based on combined scores, the top six would be:
Gleb Lutfullin230.42231.26461.68
Ilia Malinin214.64245.35459.99
Ilya Yablokov207.39231.99439.38
Artem Kovalev212.32221.51433.83
Kirill Sarnovskiy215.96216.7432.66
Egor Rukhin223.29202.28425.57
With Wesley Chiu as the 1st alternate

If the JGPF had been done in the usual method (placements), the top six would be:
Gleb Lutfullin151530
Ilia Malinin151530
Ilya Yablokov131528
Kirill Sarnovskiy151126
Wesley Chiu151126
Arlet Levandi131326
With Rukhin as the 1st alt.

The actual results for this season should be:
Ilia Malinin
Wesley Chiu
Kirill Sarnovskiy
Gleb Lutfullin
Ilya Yablokov
Egor Rukhin

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The men's event at JGP Linz has concluded, and Ted at least was saying that his understanding of the rules was that it's the highest total score of any individual event to qualify, rather than combined score across two events. Which makes sense, in retrospect, since Zhilina is allowed in with only one event period.

Good news for Rukhin and bad news for Kovalev.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For the Junior Men:

If the JGPF had been based on combined scores, the top six would be:
Gleb Lutfullin230.42231.26461.68
Ilia Malinin214.64245.35459.99
Ilya Yablokov207.39231.99439.38
Artem Kovalev212.32221.51433.83
Kirill Sarnovskiy215.96216.7432.66
Egor Rukhin223.29202.28425.57
With Wesley Chiu as the 1st alternate

If the JGPF had been done in the usual method (placements), the top six would be:
Gleb Lutfullin151530
Ilia Malinin151530
Ilya Yablokov131528
Kirill Sarnovskiy151126
Wesley Chiu151126
Arlet Levandi131326
With Rukhin as the 1st alt.

The actual results for this season should be:
Ilia Malinin
Wesley Chiu
Kirill Sarnovskiy
Gleb Lutfullin
Ilya Yablokov
Egor Rukhin
Despite Arlet Levandi having a name that just brings to mind the glamour era of the movie industry, I think I actually like the new system result more than the total combined. Both Kovalev and Rukhin gave a good fight, but that’s how Rukhin, Chiu and Kovalev performed when they skated directly against one another, with Rukhin and Chiu getting ahead of Kovalev.

It’s actually kinda funny that the slapped together system hit closer to total combined scores than the regular one.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Despite Arlet Levandi having a name that just brings to mind the glamour era of the movie industry, I think I actually like the new system result more than the total combined. Both Kovalev and Rukhin gave a good fight, but that’s how Rukhin, Chiu and Kovalev performed when they skated directly against one another, with Rukhin and Chiu getting ahead of Kovalev.

It’s actually kinda funny that the slapped together system hit closer to total combined scores than the regular one.
That's a good point. I'd forgotten that they all skated head to head.

Ideally, they have just made it seven entries and all of them would be in. But I think for men this year's method worked okay. On the one hand, Artem has a higher total score than Wesley (and a couple others). On the other hand, that happened often for the junior men in normal years. And Wesley's first event was early and at altitude, and he beat Artem head to head when they were in the same competition.
Men finished skating first. Wait till tomorrow for the explosion.
Luckily, the dance and pairs finish before the women. So I can post those breakdowns before the women's stuff takes over.

EDIT: the dance one will be posted during pairs though. I'm not getting up that early

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m laughing because the ratio of posts of how this system affected the girls to how it affected the guys is closer to 350:1. Haha

Junior men have never gotten the love they deserve ;)

And it appears to me that posters who are invested in the junior women are truly and deeply invested. And I may love my junior men, but I'm not invested.:biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That's a good point. I'd forgotten that they all skated head to head.

Ideally, they have just made it seven entries and all of them would be in. But I think for men this year's method worked okay. On the one hand, Artem has a higher total score than Wesley (and a couple others). On the other hand, that happened often for the junior men in normal years. And Wesley's first event was early and at altitude, and he beat Artem head to head when they were in the same competition.

Luckily, the dance and pairs finish before the women. So I can post those breakdowns before the women's stuff takes over.

EDIT: the dance one will be posted during pairs though. I'm not getting up that early
Yup, Chiu skated at a disadvantage in his first event, overseas and at altitude. It really was very close between these three.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Junior men have never gotten the love they deserve ;)

And it appears to me that posters who are invested in the junior women are truly and deeply invested. And I may love my junior men, but I'm not invested.:biggrin:
To be more accurate, people are more invested in drama and controversy. Haha

The highest rated skates of all time in the US had nothing to do with skating after all.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Junior Dance

Actual Qualifiers:

Wolfkostin/Chen
Brown/Brown
D'Alessandro/Waddell
Khavronina/Cirisano
Kaganovskaia/Angelopol
Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy

Combined Scores:
Khavronina/Cirisano167.31168.96336.27
Wolfkostin/Chen165.01163.25328.26
Kaganovskaia/Angelopol160.72167.22327.94
D'Alessandro/Waddell163.04161.79324.83
Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy155.98162.28318.26
Ling/Wein160.23151.44311.67
Bashynska/Beaumont would be 1st alternates, then Flores/Tsarevski and Brown/Brown.

Placements:
Khavronina/Cirisano151530
Wolfkostin/Chen151328
Kaganovskaia/Angelopol131528
Brown/Brown151328
D'Alessandro/Waddell151126
Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy111526
Flores/Tsarevski would be first alts, followed by Ling/Wein and Bashynska/Beaumont.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interestingly, for dance the new system this year gives the same results as the old placement system would. Though the alternates aren't the same. I believe Leonteva/Gorelkin are first alts with this year's system.

Similar to the men, the combined scores system would swap L/W in for Br/Br, but the Browns did beat them when they went head to head.