2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Madeline had to fight on a lot of those jumps, but the fact that she managed to do the triple loop despite stumbling on the way into it was very impressive. I don't have reservation in saying that she's probably the only one of our senior women who could have managed that.

Elsewhere, congratulations to Nadiia & Peter on their come-from-behind second JGP medal:

That makes four dance medals, our best tally since the 2014/15 JGP season.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm soo jealous. I would have loved to see Patrick (and Tessa and Scott)!!
I saw all of them live and will never forget it. Patrick is, bar none, the very best skater I have ever seen. Television is very deceptive in this way; it tends to make many skaters appear at a similar speed or flow or skill level, when in person it is quite obvious there is a difference. That's why I could never take seriously people criticizing Patrick's components — if you ever saw him live you know that yes, he is just that good. The only other man that I've seen live that came close was actually Liam Firus. He didn't have the technical arsenal, of course, but the basic skating.... I have not seen Han Yan live, but he looks like he may at least come close. It's that extra something that in my opinion is not rewarded enough.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I saw all of them live and will never forget it. Patrick is, bar none, the very best skater I have ever seen. Television is very deceptive in this way; it tends to make many skaters appear at a similar speed or flow or skill level, when in person it is quite obvious there is a difference. That's why I could never take seriously people criticizing Patrick's components — if you ever saw him live you know that yes, he is just that good. The only other man that I've seen live that came close was actually Liam Firus. He didn't have the technical arsenal, of course, but the basic skating.... I have not seen Han Yan live, but he looks like he may at least come close. It's that extra something that in my opinion is not rewarded enough.
yup... Patrick and then Liam. I haven't seen Han Yan either live. I would tend to agree that he may be close as well. Nobody else I have seen is up there though and that includes many of the top skaters as I have been lucky to go to Skate Canada and many ACI (including Yuzuru, Javier, and more) When people complain about PCS and scores.... well I will never forget how Patrick was marked below/on par with some others for his stellar performance of blackbird at worlds... He should have had all the PCS, and an even bigger score. And it's not like he didn't have a quad in his program. I guess it is appropriate to say thank you Patrick as it's TG weekend in Canada ...

The commentator : "let me be clear no one in the world skates like Patrick Chan."

ashleyming

On the Ice
yup... Patrick and then Liam. I haven't seen Han Yan either live. I would tend to agree that he may be close as well. Nobody else I have seen is up there though and that includes many of the top skaters as I have been lucky to go to Skate Canada and many ACI (including Yuzuru, Javier, and more) When people complain about PCS and scores.... well I will never forget how Patrick was marked below/on par with some others for his stellar performance of blackbird at worlds... He should have had all the PCS, and an even bigger score. And it's not like he didn't have a quad in his program. I guess it is appropriate to say thank you Patrick as it's TG weekend in Canada ...

The commentator : "let me be clear no one in the world skates like Patrick Chan."

"What I really want to work for before I retire -- one of the big goals that I have -- is to have my skating skills and edge quality comparable to where Patrick Chan left off." That was what Keegan said in an interview in 2020 - two years after Patrick farewell day. Simply, Patrick Chan is just Patrick Chan and he surely is special. It's no wonder that he has such an impact on Canadian and world skating. Unfortunately, after he retired, Skate Canada did not have the right development strategy to enable athletes to represent the country as well as Patrick did. I remember in 2008, Jeff had his crowning moment as the world champion from Canada and then he retired. Patrick at that time was seen as the successor to the mission left by Jeff, and the rest was history. 😊 The way our Canadian World Champions passing the torch to the later generations was somehow traditional and emotional as well!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gogolev... if he can regain his form when he stops growing?
Maybe. However, we were lucky before. We did not have to wait so long.... I am still set on jo because of his overall skating skills. Hopefully he gets there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You've still got Keegan! Not for long maybe (he's a grandpa and I love the grandpa's), and he might not be a World Champion but he's a great skater.
yeah... keegan is great but not a world champion or even a contender like the other guys we have had.. you know... we are just spoiled ;)

ashleyming

On the Ice
Yup we had brian then kurt then elvis then emanuel though he did not fulfill his potential then jeff and then patrick.... Who will be the next one.
That successor was once expected to be Nam. The day he won the Junior World Championship in 2014, the media hyped him up and definitely put too much pressure on his career development. Unfortunately, after that, his career did not stand out anymore. Sometimes looking at Nam, I have a feeling that he is still being stuck in his junior time and even peaked there. As a result, peaking too soon in the junior years has taken everything from him, includes Skate Canada's soft spot. 😢 Yesterday, I watched the vids of 2014 Junior Worlds again and seeing a young cute Nam. He looked so much potential there and he even won over Nathan in the same tournament. If only he could have that package in a senior version...

rain

Record Breaker
That successor was once expected to be Nam. The day he won the Junior World Championship in 2014, the media hyped him up and definitely put too much pressure on his career development. Unfortunately, after that, his career did not stand out anymore. Sometimes looking at Nam, I have a feeling that he is still being stuck in his junior time and even peaked there. As a result, peaking too soon in the junior years has taken everything from him, includes Skate Canada's soft spot. 😢 Yesterday, I watched the vids of 2014 Junior Worlds again and seeing a young cute Nam. He looked so much potential there and he even won over Nathan in the same tournament. If only he could have that package in a senior version...
The problem with Nam was that there was not enough focus on the basic skating and technique early in his career, so now he's still playing catch-up on speed, edges etc. There was a big push to get the big jumps, but they did not make him a well-rounded skater. He had (and still has) a natural showmanship that was able to make up for it when he was a cute kid, but at some point that's not enough and you hit a ceiling in the senior ranks. He has made some strides on this front, but it's still a work in progress.

ashleyming

On the Ice
The problem with Nam was that there was not enough focus on the basic skating and technique early in his career, so now he's still playing catch-up on speed, edges etc. There was a big push to get the big jumps, but they did not make him a well-rounded skater. He had (and still has) a natural showmanship that was able to make up for it when he was a cute kid, but at some point that's not enough and you hit a ceiling in the senior ranks. He has made some strides on this front, but it's still a work in progress.
Remembering when the media and even SC hyped him up as if Patrick had not been existed anymore, those things just make me feel annoyed. When he did not appear in the Skate Canada Int. Ex. Gala 2015, Nam's fans also yelled at Patrick for stealing the highlights from him while forgetting that Nam had not won anything for Canada as a senior skater. Time and strategy has proved everything. Even without Patrick, Nam is still not the one that stand up for the team. He's still has many problems to fix, now or never!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I wish for Nam is for him to be his authentic self. Choose music he connects with, present his true artistic vision.

When I see him skate, I'm left unsatisfied, because I feel like everything is off, and that the trouble begins with programs that are paint by numbers and lack a point of view. I know artistic disciplines requre some degree of "suspension of disbelief" but his programs are just misses.

I haven't seen him skate this season, but I've seen his music choices. I don't remember what they are, because I am old and that happens, but I remember feeling some degree of optimism about them this season.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I always found Nguyen to be fun to watch.

Whatever happened to Gogolev? Is he injured this season?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We basically never get any news about Gogolev — some reports suggested he was still dealing with some combination of growth (the nemesis of every promising Canadian junior in the last seven years or so) and injury.
Aww, that’s a pity. Was looking forward to seeing him in JGP 🥲

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why is everyone so dismissive of Keegan?
nobody is dismissive of Keegan. You have to read the context. I personally ADORE Keegan. I first saw him at ACI and was mesmerized by his speed, his spins, and his will power. At that event, his laces got broken or undone... it took him about 60 seconds to get them fixed... so, he had to cut down his choreo and jump and spin until the end... he was on a mission. He was fighting so hard for every element he could manage to include in such circumstances.

What has been discussed was in the context of missing Patrick, because since his retirement, Canadian skating hasn't had a steady and strong leader who is competing to win world medals. Some of us, definitely myself, are also mentioning that Patrick's style of skating is unmatched. We were spoiled for so many years with Patrick, a bit more than a decade !!!! That's an awesome career for an awesome skater and leader.

So, though I would say the general feeling in this thread is that we love Keegan, we wish he could show more consistency so he could compete with the top guys. There is nothing negative really. Keegan has very big skates to fill in the context of the series of Canadian men.

This is actually one of the most positive place to talk about Keegan :) if anything, there are some moments of tough love as we wish Canadian skaters the best.... just like we are tough on Nam or Roman.

Last edited: