Shoma Uno | Page 914 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:bow: I saw this elsewhere and it's too good to not share! What did Stephane say? He was 14 and his eyes were all sparkly and full of dreams?...Little did he know the trajectory his skating career would take. He is still the same Shoma with a great work ethic, humility, and a respectful regard for his fellow competitors. :points:

Right now, I’m 14 (T/N: Interview was before his 15th birthday on December 17, 2012.)… so I’ll be 24. In 10 years, I’ll almost be 25. Will I have made it to the Olympics yet? It would be right after an Olympic year right? The Olympics will be held when I’m 16, 20, 24, and 28 years old. If I haven’t made it to the Olympics yet, I’ll be working hard trying to get there. I don’t know whether I’ll make it there by then but… I hope I’ll still be skating and injury-free.”

What will skating be like 10 years from now?

“Everyone will have like three types of quads. I’ll have like one (smiles).”

Shoma Uno (From Cutting Edge 2013, p. 85)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
:bow: I saw this elsewhere and it's too good to not share! What did Stephane say? He was 14 and his eyes were all sparkly and full of dreams?...Little did he know the trajectory his skating career would take. He is still the same Shoma with a great work ethic, humility, and a respectful regard for his fellow competitors. :points:

Right now, I’m 14 (T/N: Interview was before his 15th birthday on December 17, 2012.)… so I’ll be 24. In 10 years, I’ll almost be 25. Will I have made it to the Olympics yet? It would be right after an Olympic year right? The Olympics will be held when I’m 16, 20, 24, and 28 years old. If I haven’t made it to the Olympics yet, I’ll be working hard trying to get there. I don’t know whether I’ll make it there by then but… I hope I’ll still be skating and injury-free.”

What will skating be like 10 years from now?

“Everyone will have like three types of quads. I’ll have like one (smiles).”

Shoma Uno (From Cutting Edge 2013, p. 85)
Such a fun interview 🥰

My dream now is to go to GPF, obviously not this year due to understandable reasons, and for Uno to make it… fingers crossed! I really hope that Uno can make GPF this year too!

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma flew back to Japan immediately after the gala and is back in JPN quarantining at a hotel. I am guessing Emma is moping around the house wondering where that little guy is that she likes so much.
Ah, that explains something I saw in person! Since I wasn't able to throw my stuffed animals onto the ice during the men's event due to confusing regulations, I realized that in order to give them to the appropriate skaters, I had to give them to them directly. This prospect made me quite nervous, as I knew it meant I had to meet Shoma in person, but I soon formulated a plan. In order to meet him, I had to rush outside after the gala to the gate where I knew the skaters would exit and give it to him there. As soon as I got there, he was there! It seemed like he really wanted to get out of there, but I quickly stopped him and asked him in Japanese to please take my stuffed giraffe. He seemed a little confused at first, so I asked again, then he took the giraffe from me. He just responded with a soft little "Arigato gozaimasu." There was a little bit of kindness in those eyes, maybe he was smiling under the mask. It all felt like a dream, and I was definitely shocked, so I didn't say anything else afterwards and let him leave. He was walking back to the hotel with Stephane and he was really booking it! Never knew how fast an Olympic medalist could walk until now, lol. I suspected afterwards that maybe he had to catch a flight home and I am glad to see that suspicion confirmed.

After the initial shock wore off, I felt very proud of myself for having given him the giraffe, to the point of shouting, "He took the giraffe!" Knowing that the giraffe will somehow comfort him during quarantine is priceless. I know not how the skating gods have smiled upon me, but they truly have.😭😭😭

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ah, that explains something I saw in person! Since I wasn't able to throw my stuffed animals onto the ice during the men's event due to confusing regulations, I realized that in order to give them to the appropriate skaters, I had to give them to them directly. This prospect made me quite nervous, as I knew it meant I had to meet Shoma in person, but I soon formulated a plan. In order to meet him, I had to rush outside after the gala to the gate where I knew the skaters would exit and give it to him there. As soon as I got there, he was there! It seemed like he really wanted to get out of there, but I quickly stopped him and asked him in Japanese to please take my stuffed giraffe. He seemed a little confused at first, so I asked again, then he took the giraffe from me. He just responded with a soft little "Arigato gozaimasu." There was a little bit of kindness in those eyes, maybe he was smiling under the mask. It all felt like a dream, and I was definitely shocked, so I didn't say anything else afterwards and let him leave. He was walking back to the hotel with Stephane and he was really booking it! Never knew how fast an Olympic medalist could walk until now, lol. I suspected afterwards that maybe he had to catch a flight home and I am glad to see that suspicion confirmed.

After the initial shock wore off, I felt very proud of myself for having given him the giraffe, to the point of shouting, "He took the giraffe!" Knowing that the giraffe will somehow comfort him during quarantine is priceless. I know not how the skating gods have smiled upon me, but they truly have.😭😭😭
Aww, that’s so nice ❤️

16Olympics

On the Ice

So nice of you to give him that gift. I hope he has a lot of good memories and joy from SA (including your giraffe) to tide him over during quarantine. How long is quarantine, anyone know? I'm assuming he can still practice but not sure.

Matthew

On the Ice

Thank you for your report. I feel a little sad about not always being able to watch each other's facial expressions. There's some communication lost, isn't it? But, of course, wearing a mask is very necessary these days.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast I spoke to Brent D. who does all kinds of public relations for the events and told him we need to do what they have done for other events (in Canada? Japan?) -- separate skater boxes where people can put cards, gifts, etc. for their favorites. I had a gift for Sho and for Emma chan and Toro chan, but I ended up not doing anything with it, So here I am (still) with the gifts I bought for Montreal Worlds!

Gate B was the place to be if you wanted to see skaters and coaches, since it was the only door they could go in and out! The first day of practice, I thought that was where I was supposed to enter, so I went to B. All of a sudden I realized I was standing next to Eteri and Dudakov, among others! "Oops, I think I'm in the wrong line!" :bang:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rating the Skate America costumes. If you scroll far down, you'll find the reviews of you-know-who's costumes. Can you guess which oostume received a 9.99 and which received a 9.75?

Sigh...that costume IS amazing!

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
At the Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast I spoke to Brent D. who does all kinds of public relations for the events and told him we need to do what they have done for other events (in Canada? Japan?) -- separate skater boxes where people can put cards, gifts, etc. for their favorites. I had a gift for Sho and for Emma chan and Toro chan, but I ended up not doing anything with it, So here I am (still) with the gifts I bought for Montreal Worlds!

Gate B was the place to be if you wanted to see skaters and coaches, since it was the only door they could go in and out! The first day of practice, I thought that was where I was supposed to enter, so I went to B. All of a sudden I realized I was standing next to Eteri and Dudakov, among others! "Oops, I think I'm in the wrong line!" :bang:
I also still have all my Montreal stuffies, but Junior Worlds are coming to Calgary (hopefully) so I am just going to give it to the juniors 😇 wow, I had no idea there was a secret Gate 🤩

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for your report. I feel a little sad about not always being able to watch each other's facial expressions. There's some communication lost, isn't it? But, of course, wearing a mask is very necessary these days.
I was very glad they were strict about masking, but I really felt bad about not being able to see their emotions and facial expressions in the Kiss and Cry. Seeing their joy (and sometimes their sadness) is part of the experience.

SuYue Chng

Rinkside

It's great that you got to meet him in person. Thanks for sharing!

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Seems it's two week quarantine and practicing at a rink by himself. Sad.

Wow still a rigid 2 week quarantine? I'm assuming it's the same arrangement as WTT last season, where Team Japan got a rink to practice on? At least he has access to a rink, instead of just idling in a hotel room.