Injuries and the 2021-2022 Olympic Season | Golden Skate

Injuries and the 2021-2022 Olympic Season

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Injjuries are part of any sport. In an olympic season everyone is really giving their best to go to the Olympics and win a medal. Maybe it is just me but there are some major injuries that probably will have a huge impact on the olympics and this season results.

Men

Yuzuru Hanyu going for his third Oly title and has a shot but dropping out of a GP event concerns me that the ankle injury is serious One wonders about the 4A if that had any influence

Women

Rika Khira - the great threat to the Russian dominance is injured and still isn't competing. According to reports she does not have her repertoire of triple let alone I am concerned that time may be running out. I really thought she could be the one to win gold this oly cycle but I am not so confident now.

Anna S our world champion I thought was still recovering but she seems to be healing/recovering fairly well despite a shaky SP in Italy. Not sure she has enough ammunition to challenge Kamila. But I will be watching her carefully.

Bradie Tennell at once an outside shot for a medal or darkhorse the hope seems to be dwindling. She has been out of competition for a while and time is running out. Just making the American team will be a challenge. She was the workhore/ the rock for the US ladies and now that seems to be Liu.

Some skaters have even taken themselves out already. ET and her mother sadly succombed to injuries. And the same arguably can be said about Evgenia M.

DANCE

The world champions and favorites for silver are in trouble with Nikita' back. The lack of training and competitive sharpness I think ends the hope of OGM - not ot mention the French are so good and by far the faves. I really hope SK don't pull a D/S from 2010 where they Domina and Shabalin seemed to be surviving on a prayer due to injury.

PAIRS

Not sure if there is any major injury. Some skaters always have ailments too.

I just hope in an olympic year everyone was at their best and skated their best but that is not likely.

INteresting that Russia's third dance team is injured too. One wonders if Diana Davis and Gleb will go to the olympics as some people are saying.

I wonder if there was an injury to H and B - I haven't heard from them in a while.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Injjuries are part of any sport. In an olympic season everyone is really giving their best to go to the Olympics and win a medal. Maybe it is just me but there are some major injuries that probably will have a huge impact on the olympics and this season results.

Men

Yuzuru Hanyu going for his third Oly title and has a shot but dropping out of a GP event concerns me that the ankle injury is serious One wonders about the 4A if that had any influence

Women

Rika Khira - the great threat to the Russian dominance is injured and still isn't competing. According to reports she does not have her repertoire of triple let alone I am concerned that time may be running out. I really thought she could be the one to win gold this oly cycle but I am not so confident now.

Anna S our world champion I thought was still recovering but she seems to be healing/recovering fairly well despite a shaky SP in Italy. Not sure she has enough ammunition to challenge Kamila. But I will be watching her carefully.

Bradie Tennell at once an outside shot for a medal or darkhorse the hope seems to be dwindling. She has been out of competition for a while and time is running out. Just making the American team will be a challenge. She was the workhore/ the rock for the US ladies and now that seems to be Liu.

Some skaters have even taken themselves out already. ET and her mother sadly succombed to injuries. And the same arguably can be said about Evgenia M.

DANCE

The world champions and favorites for silver are in trouble with Nikita' back. The lack of training and competitive sharpness I think ends the hope of OGM - not ot mention the French are so good and by far the faves. I really hope SK don't pull a D/S from 2010 where they Domina and Shabalin seemed to be surviving on a prayer due to injury.

PAIRS

I just hope in an olympic year everyone was at their best and skated their best but that is not likely.

INteresting that Russia's third dance team is injured too. One wonders if Diana Davis and Gleb will go to the olympics as some people are saying.

I wonder if there was an injury to H and B - I haven't heard from them in a while.
H/B just withdrew from NHK. She has a concussion. I shall go drown myself now.

Weathergal

Medalist
The only thing that could save this is Jimmy Ma getting a spot..
My first thought when I heard about Hawayek / Baker withdrawing was on no poor Moonvine - and of course poor Kaitlin and Jean-Luc.

Unfortunately - if I understand correctly - the Japanese Fed said they're not going to be substituting for any WD for NHK other than Japanese one. I think they're substituting Soto Yamamoto for Yuzu. There are a lot of WDs for this event.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what Olga Mikutina and Miriam Ziegler / Severin Kiefer withdrew? COVID? Injuries? Something else?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My first thought when I heard about Hawayek / Baker withdrawing was on no poor Moonvine - and of course poor Kaitlin and Jean-Luc.

Unfortunately - if I understand correctly - the Japanese Fed said they're not going to be substituting for any WD for NHK other than Japanese one. I think they're substituting Soto Yamamoto for Yuzu. There are a lot of WDs for this event.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what Olga Mikutina and Miriam Ziegler / Severin Kiefer withdrew? COVID? Injuries? Something else?
Well then drowning myself is the only solution.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This injury news is super sad. Especially Sasha she was going so well! She's always avoided injury until last season 😔 I hope she can recover.

And that's awful about Kaitlin, I've been waiting to see her and Jean Luc too. Sigh.

It looks like Anna S is back, good for her.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The only thing that could save this is Jimmy Ma getting a spot.

... Unfortunately - if I understand correctly - the Japanese Fed said they're not going to be substituting for any WD for NHK other than Japanese one. I think they're substituting Soto Yamamoto for Yuzu. There are a lot of WDs for this event. ....

Well then drowning myself is the only solution.

moonvine, if it's any consolation :pray:: The only chance that our beloved Jimmy Ma 🤗 ever had for a spot at NHK would have required the withdrawal of Vincent, Tomoki, or Camden. From the very beginning, Team USA 🇺🇸 men already had the maximum of three spots per federation.
(I know that you were just wanting the best for Jimmy as always and that you never would wish bad luck for any of the other guys.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
moonvine, if it's any consolation :pray:: The only chance that our beloved Jimmy Ma 🤗 ever had for a spot at NHK would have required the withdrawal of Vincent, Tomoki, or Camden. From the very beginning, Team USA 🇺🇸 men already had the maximum of three spots per federation.
(I know that you were just wanting the best for Jimmy as always and that you never would wish bad luck for any of the other guys.)
Oh yes you are right. No I certainly would not wish any of our guys bad luck.

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is the source for this bad news:
From US Figure Skating
www.usfigureskating.org

Hawayek and Baker Withdraw from 2021 NHK Trophy | U.S. Figure Skating

"Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker have withdrawn from NHK Trophy due to injury, U.S. Figure Skating announced Sunday. NHK Trophy, set for Nov. 11-14, 2021 in Tokyo, is the fourth stop of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series.

Hawayek is recovering from a concussion sustained while training earlier this season. The tandem has three Grand Prix Series medals, including gold at 2018 NHK Trophy."

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I applaud the starting of this thread and hope that it becomes sticky. I would like to propose some changes and corrections. Refer to the skaters by name so this is no confusion as to who you are talking about. For example does ET refer to the space alien, Elizabet Tursynbaeva or Eteri Tuberidze? Just the facts on the injury please, do not include speculations, that can be discussed in other forums. Some of the phrasing is downright scary and others are insulting such as your (I hope) unintended description of Bradie Tennell. Above all, please reread your post before posting. If this sounds cranky to you I apologize. But English is not everybody's first language here and I do not want any confusion caused by such remarks.

Men

Yuzuru Hanyu going for his third Oly title and has a shot but dropping out of a GP event concerns me that the ankle injury is serious (Speculation). One wonders about the 4A if that had any influence

Women

Rika Khira - the great threat to the Russian dominance is injured and still isn't competing. According to reports (what reports? cite your source please) she does not have her repertoire of triple let alone I am concerned that time may be running out. I really thought she could be the one to win gold this oly cycle but I am not so confident now.

Anna S our world champion I thought was still recovering but she seems to be healing/recovering fairly well despite a shaky SP in Italy. Not sure she has enough ammunition to challenge Kamila (speculation). But I will be watching her carefully.

Bradie Tennell at once an outside shot for a medal or darkhorse the hope seems to be dwindling. She has been out of competition for a while and time is running out. Just making the American team will be a challenge. She was the workhore (how very rude)/ the rock for the US ladies and now that seems to be Liu.

Some skaters have even taken themselves out already(please rephrase, it sounds like something tragic happened). ET(who?) and her mother sadly succombed to injuries (sounds like they died tragically, is this related to the skaters above who took themselves out). And the same arguably can be said about Evgenia M(Evgenia died too?)

DANCE

The world champions and favorites for silver are in trouble with Nikita' back. The lack of training and competitive sharpness I think ends the hope of OGM (speculation) - not ot mention the French are so good and by far the faves. I really hope SK don't pull a D/S from 2010 where they Domina and Shabalin seemed to be surviving on a prayer due to injury.

PAIRS

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please don't drown yourself. I would miss you too much. I am very upset as well. I haven't been this sad since Michelle Kwan lost to Tara and well since Tai & Randy.
That said I am glad we have Green & Parsons in case our faves cannot recover in time.

😭:console::ghug:

Last edited: