Injuries and the 2021-2022 Olympic Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Injuries and the 2021-2022 Olympic Season

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please don't drown yourself. I would miss you too much. I am very upset as well. I haven't been this sad since Michelle Kwan lost to Tara and well since Tai & Randy.
That said I am glad we have Green & Parsons in case our faves cannot recover in time.

😭:console::ghug:
That’s so sweet. I pray they can recover. Can they just decide they want to go to say, Golden Spin? Or doss US Fed have to send them?

Thank you for keeping the pull Arabians safely tucked away.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s so sweet. I pray they can recover. Can they just decide they want to go to say, Golden Spin? Or doss US Fed have to send them?

In the US Dance thread #178 DanceLion21 says this

Will they (H/B) have any more opportunities for International competition other than their one remaining GP event?
Golden Spin is December 8-11, so in exactly one month. That's the last major international as defined by USFS. There might be other minor international competitions in late December that they could enter.
BTW: 2022 Nats RD is scheduled for Jan 7.
Early January will be too late to add mileage at an international event.
I forgot that Nationals was so early this year, since it's usually January 20 something, but with the Olympics, that makes sense. I just remember when C/B came back from injury in the 2018-19 season, they competed in Poland in early January to get some mileage before Nationals. Hopefully, H/B can go to Golden Spin or some other international before nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Can they just decide they want to go to say, Golden Spin? Or doss US Fed have to send them? ...

Federations must enter their skaters into Golden Spin.
USFS would need to send Hawayek/Baker. H/B would not be able to just decide to send themselves.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Federations must enter their skaters into Golden Spin.
USFS would need to send Hawayek/Baker. H/B would not be able to just decide to send themselves.
How does that work? Do H/B ask to go? Does USFS issue an invitation to those they want to send?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How does that work? Do H/B ask to go? Does USFS issue an invitation to those they want to send?

Just my two cents (all very cautious, of course :)):

First, I am uncertain whether it would be an absolute given that H/B would feel that Golden Spin would be a good idea for them.
Depending on her (unknown-to-us) progress toward recovery, there could be both pros and cons for H/B to weigh.
(Regardless of the theoretical benefit in broadest terms for healthy skaters to gain competition mileage.)
Translation ;): If H/B do not appear on the Golden Spin entry list, I will wonder whether perhaps H/B did not think it would be in their own best interest to go?

For ISP skaters in general, would it be the skaters or USFS who would initiate discussion of a potential assignment to a particular event? I imagine that the answer could vary from one situation to another.
For skaters of H/B's caliber (repeatedly on U.S. podium and on World team), I would guess that it would be standard operating procedure for USFS to have open channels of communication with such skaters and with their coaches?
In the specific case of H/B at present, I would expect that USFS more than ever would be keeping a supportive eye on their state of competition readiness -- because they remain entered in Rostelecom. (And because it is an Olympic season.)​

FWIW, the official entry deadline for Golden Spin is Fri Nov 12.
I am not saying that it "means" something one way or the other with respect to H/B's circumstances.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I understand there were injuries, but I'm sure @CrazyKittenLady will know better about them.
Yes, Olga apparently has been suffering from an injury for some time. There are no details about Miriam and Severin, just that they also had to withdraw because of an unspecified injury. I hope everyone will be well in time for the Olys, Olga for a successful Olympic debut and Miriam and Severin probably for their swan song. At least they don't have to worry about their Olympic spots, even if they don't recover by Austrian Nats. Though the competition will miss its big stars without Olga, Miriam and Severin. :(

Seven Sisters

Medalist

First, I am uncertain whether it would be an absolute given that H/B would feel that Golden Spin would be a good idea for them.​
Depending on her (unknown-to-us) progress toward recovery, there could be both pros and cons for H/B to weigh.​
(Regardless of the theoretical benefit in broadest terms for healthy skaters to gain competition mileage.)​
Translation ;): If H/B do not appear on the Golden Spin entry list, I will wonder whether perhaps H/B did not think it would be in their own best interest to go?​
For ISP skaters in general, would it be the skaters or USFS who would initiate discussion of a potential assignment to a particular event? I imagine that the answer could vary from one situation to another.​
For skaters of H/B's caliber (repeatedly on U.S. podium and on World team), I would guess that it would be standard operating procedure for USFS to have open channels of communication with such skaters and with their coaches?​
In the specific case of H/B at present, I would expect that USFS more than ever would be keeping a supportive eye on their state of competition readiness -- because they remain entered in Rostelecom. (And because it is an Olympic season.)​

I am not saying that it "means" something one way or the other with respect to H/B's circumstances.
Just an observation, inspired by ice coverage’s account above—the fact that we first learned about this issue via an official news release from USFS, with nice photo and everything, suggests to me that HB and their coaches have already discussed the withdrawal and all it’s implications (including options for future assignments), with USFS. I would imagine that USFS has been carefully monitoring the situation for at least a little while, as it takes time to develop an official public notification like this.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just an observation, inspired by ice coverage’s account above—the fact that we first learned about this issue via an official news release from USFS, with nice photo and everything, suggests to me that HB and their coaches have already discussed the withdrawal and all it’s implications (including options for future assignments), with USFS. I would imagine that USFS has been carefully monitoring the situation for at least a little while, as it takes time to develop an official public notification like this.
See I was wondering, and this is of course speculation, she wanted to go and was prevented by a doctor? She posted on IG last week how they were looking forward to skating in Japan again.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

First, I am uncertain whether it would be an absolute given that H/B would feel that Golden Spin would be a good idea for them.
Depending on her (unknown-to-us) progress toward recovery, there could be both pros and cons for H/B to weigh.
(Regardless of the theoretical benefit in broadest terms for healthy skaters to gain competition mileage.)
Translation ;): If H/B do not appear on the Golden Spin entry list, I will wonder whether perhaps H/B did not think it would be in their own best interest to go?

For ISP skaters in general, would it be the skaters or USFS who would initiate discussion of a potential assignment to a particular event? I imagine that the answer could vary from one situation to another.
For skaters of H/B's caliber (repeatedly on U.S. podium and on World team), I would guess that it would be standard operating procedure for USFS to have open channels of communication with such skaters and with their coaches?

I’m of course primarily concerned for her health.

Assuming her health to be good *fingers crossed* I think it’s less than ideal to go into Nationals with one single International and no domestic competitions.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
See I was wondering, and this is of course speculation, she wanted to go and was prevented by a doctor? She posted on IG last week how they were looking forward to skating in Japan again.
The thing that I do wonder about, is when the concussion happened. Note that the press release does not say, and I have to think that omission was not accidental. That such care was taken with the announcement is all the more reason to think that USFS has known about this for a while.

But I completely agree with being cautious in dealing with an injury like this, and hope that Kaitlin & Jean Luc will be back to delight us as soon as they are ready!

mrrice

Record Breaker
If you're from the US, the biggest, and in my opinion, saddest injury has to be our defending National Champion, Bradie Tennel. She was so prepared for last years Nationals and she won BIG! To see her pull out of all of her events breaks my heart. The way she looked last year, if she could have recreated that this year.....The sky was the limit. :(

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you're from the US, the biggest, and in my opinion, saddest injury has to be our defending National Champion, Bradie Tennel. She was so prepared for last years Nationals and she won BIG! To see her pull out of all of her events breaks my heart. The way she looked last year, if she could have recreated that this year.....The sky was the limit. :(
I agree. Bradie has been working hard despite her injuries and trying to get ready for this Olympic season as she recovers. I don't know what kind of foot injury she has and sincerely hope it is not like the one that derailed Polina Edmunds.

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing that I do wonder about, is when the concussion happened. Note that the press release does not say, and I have to think that omission was not accidental. That such care was taken with the announcement is all the more reason to think that USFS has known about this for a while.

But I completely agree with being cautious in dealing with an injury like this, and hope that Kaitlin & Jean Luc will be back to delight us as soon as they are ready!
I do not know for sure when the fall happened. Did they skate at Champs Camp? I thought she had a knee injury there and wonder if that injury is related to the concussion. I really know nothing and am speculating.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there some sort of medical clearance she has to get first? Maybe she did not get signed off. Maybe they wanted to go, but their coaches recommended against it? It sounds like they must be preparing in some way since there is music and an anticipated competition, If it is a matter of a bit more time, then I am hopeful that they will only travel once to Rostelecom instead of two trips. I can only imagine that traveling is probably harder post concussion and should be limited so as to not exhaust the skater and risk another injury.

I'm sure the skaters themselves are eager to get on the ice in competition to get much needed feedback.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I do not know for sure when the fall happened. Did they skate at Champs Camp? I thought she had a knee injury there and wonder if that injury is related to the concussion. I really know nothing and am speculating.
I remember seeing reports of their music choices around the time of Champs Camp in August, so I believe they did go and gave their programs there. But I also remember that they were scheduled to compete at US Classic in Sept and withdrew, no reason given; that withdrawal could be due to injury, or it could be completely unrelated. We simply don’t know. All they say in the press release is that this happened “while training earlier in the season.”

i‘ve also wondered about Yaro Paniot. Remember how he pulled out of an early season comp, apparently due to a problem with his boot? Then he withdrew from Skate America, no reason given. Radio silence ever since, no additional assignments that I know of. Is he OK?

my theory is that all these injuries we are seeing might be conditioning-related, growing out of the rink closures/lack of ice time/lack of regular competition that accompanied the pandemic.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember seeing reports of their music choices around the time of Champs Camp in August, so I believe they did go and gave their programs there. But I also remember that they were scheduled to compete at US Classic in Sept and withdrew, no reason given; that withdrawal could be due to injury, or it could be completely unrelated. We simply don’t know. All they say in the press release is that this happened “while training earlier in the season.”

i‘ve also wondered about Yaro Paniot. Remember how he pulled out of an early season comp, apparently due to a problem with his boot? Then he withdrew from Skate America, no reason given. Radio silence ever since, no additional assignments that I know of. Is he OK?

my theory is that all these injuries we are seeing might be conditioning-related, growing out of the rink closures/lack of ice time/lack of regular competition that accompanied the pandemic.
Reading back some of the other threads I see that I referenced TSL hinting at a knee surgery/injury for Kaitlin around Champs Camp.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think she’s in less of a bind than H&B. If I were forced to go to Nationals as my first comp of the year I’d rather do it as a singles skater than as a dance team. If anyone can do it Bradie can.