2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 202 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Lzbee

Final Flight
When I make predictions I always base them on both skaters going clean. From a Base Value standpoint, Karen is Behind Alysa, Lindsay, and a clean Mariah and Amber. Karen had all the momentum going into the season after her placement at Worlds but, she just hasn't been great, "Yet" I certainly didn't have her making the World Team last year and without the committee, she wouldn't have. I don't see her getting a committee pick this year with the way the rest of the field has been scoring. Has Karen broken 200 this year?
Yes, Karen got 202.49 at Finlandia.

Amei

Record Breaker
When I make predictions I always base them on both skaters going clean. From a Base Value standpoint, Karen is Behind Alysa, Lindsay, and a clean Mariah and Amber. Karen had all the momentum going into the season after her placement at Worlds but, she just hasn't been great, "Yet" I certainly didn't have her making the World Team last year and without the committee, she wouldn't have. I don't see her getting a committee pick this year with the way the rest of the field has been scoring. Has Karen broken 200 this year?

I'm an outspoken hater of the committee setting the team but if we are going to have it I think there should be 1 lifeline limit of the committee ignoring someone beating you at Nationals to send you to a prestigious competition.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
When I make predictions I always base them on both skaters going clean. From a Base Value standpoint, Karen is Behind Alysa, Lindsay, and a clean Mariah and Amber.
Karen’s BV is higher than both Mariah and Amber this season. 7 triple LP vs 6 triple LPs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Unfortunately Karen's BV isn't significantly higher enough to erase her carrot and q habit over Mariah if Mariah stays clean (or mostly clean).
Exactly. When was the last time Karen landed a clean triple triple? Never Mind......I just watched her LP from Finlandia and it was lovely. Now I don't know who will make the team. May the best skaters win.

Amei

Record Breaker
Exactly. When was the last time Karen landed a clean triple triple? Never Mind......I just watched her LP from Finlandia and it was lovely. Now I don't know who will make the team. May the best skaters win.

Well if you look at Finlandia where she scored the best of the season, it's still lower than what Mariah got at Rostelecom.

Amei

Record Breaker
I know. It's also lower than Alysa and Lindsay. This is why they all need to bring it at Nationals and may the best skaters make the team

Yep, but there are 3 spots so they only have to beat one another, maybe Bradie who is coming in cold at Nationals, and Amber who hasn't been great this season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's really two spots imho. ALyssa is going then the battle is Bradie who I am concerned is really injured. Karen, Mariah, Lindsay, Amber, I know there is the hope of a miracle but I am not sure one good skate by GRacie will be enough to send her to the olympics - maybe if she lands a triple axel.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's really two spots imho. ALyssa is going then the battle is Bradie who I am concerned is really injured. Karen, Mariah, Lindsay, Amber, I know there is the hope of a miracle but I am not sure one good skate by GRacie will be enough to send her to the olympics - maybe if she lands a triple axel.
Gracie still doesn’t have minimums. I would love it if she came in and landed a 3A and a couple of quads.

The average fan doesn’t know anything about minimums (and it isn’t usually an issue)

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Unfortunately Karen's BV isn't significantly higher enough to erase her carrot and q habit over Mariah if Mariah stays clean (or mostly clean).
But this literally isn't true. Once again, Karen beat Mariah in their head to head GP where Mariah was "mostly clean" and Karen had her usual qs and carrots called.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
But this literally isn't true. Once again, Karen beat Mariah in their head to head GP where Mariah was "mostly clean" and Karen had her usual qs and carrots called.
Didn't Mariah fall, on her combo, in the short? To me, that's not at all mostly clean. (eta: Fall on your combo in the short is a major error and loss of points.)

Not that overall I think the team selection is clear at this point, beyond Alysa. None of the women are clearly standing out from the rest, and Bradie is a complete question mark, of course. But just comparing GP results of Karen and Mariah, Karen beat Mariah by a smallish margin at what was Karen's stronger event, which was also Mariah's weaker event. Karen's GP scores are 194.00 and 183.41 ; Mariah's 210.35 and 190.79.

Anyway, I hope all the women have great skates at Nationals and the Olympic selection aligns with Nationals finish, but that's just my wishes/hopes. My dream team (given Bradie's absence) is Alysa, an Amber who is performing in competition like she does in practice, and Mariah, but trumping that _for me__ is whoever lays it down in Nashville.

Last edited:

bubblecherry

Final Flight

Sure. Except that wasn’t the claim. The claim was Karen has lower BV, which is entirely false and should be clarified.
When I make predictions I always base them on both skaters going clean. From a Base Value standpoint, Karen is Behind Alysa, Lindsay, and a clean Mariah and Amber.
So my point stands, as I was only clarifying, Karen actually has higher BV than these two.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, my bigger worry for Amber is that she gets the Courtney Hicks treatment, who got relatively better marks from international panels than the national ones. The USFSA has preferred more artistic women at least as far back as the Tonya vs Kristi/Nancy days.
So frustrating for those of us who prefer powerful skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly am not a judge, international or national.
Will just say that for li'l' ol' me, I find Amber superior to other U.S. women in drawing me into her performance and making me feel what she is expressing -- which is what I love most about her. For me, she is not less artistic than other women.

She is a great combination of artistic and powerful. NO reason a skater cannot be both!❤️

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I do hope Gracie's success at competitions just keeps building and building. She looks great in that picture!
So far it has been…knock on wood…from not so great at Philly Club comp to better at Cranberry Cup, better still at her next comp - Leesburg? to even better at Alpharetta. “Gracie Gold, Senior Ladies Gold Medalist” (at Alpharetta) has a lovely ring to it, don’t you think?

Amei

Record Breaker

I wouldn't consider a downgrade and fall on your combination in the SP, which is your big point element, as being mostly clean for Mariah. Only skaters like Shcherbakova, Valieva, Trusova can call a program with a fall in it as mostly clean program for them as they have a BV advantage against most non-Russians to absorb it.