Jason Brown | Page 892 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
He's still on the official list, unlike Junhwan. Maybe they added the "withdrawn" before GPF was cancelled and did not change it yet??

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I also wonder if there were concerns about being able to get back to Canada if he did go to Europe.. Seems sensible to keep training on track for nationals than increase your risk of something that could seriously impact you and your training!

I also wondered about that but someone on FSU said that professional and amateur high performance athletes are currently exempt from quarantine requirements. So probably just trying to avoid unnecessary risks.

The good news is that since he tweeted “Training” it’s presumably not injury. Not sure where/when the pic was taken though.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I also wondered about that but someone on FSU said that professional and amateur high performance athletes are currently exempt from quarantine requirements. So probably just trying to avoid unnecessary risks.

The good news is that since he tweeted “Training” it’s presumably not injury. Not sure where/when the pic was taken though.
I thought that this exemption was only for athletes coming from abroad to compete in Canada? (I may be completely wrong.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The photo in the "training" post was taken at Finlandia. The photo credits are to the synchro dad in Helsinki who took pretty cool photos.

That's our Jason. Why be specific when vague will do:biggrin:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A short clip of Jason talking to a Chicago tv (?) station about coming back after his 2018 season (clip says radio, but there is video)

We've heard him talk about 2018 before, but he does sound so calm and collected about it now. And the interview must be somewhat recent, because Jason is rocking a Ralph Lauren Olympic polo. :)

ETA: And I just realized that there is a half hour audio interview on top of the short video clip:palmf:. It starts at 3:48.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And my earlier post, because I had not yet realized there was (or listened) to the half hour audio, buried the lede:

Jason says he feels good and may skate another two years:party2:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

O WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY

FOR NOT ONLY IS IT BATHURST DAY

BUT THIS BLESSING IN MY LIFE

Please let me see Jason skate in Sydney!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I will be interested to see, if someone else listens to the audio, if I was overly optimistic in my interpretation about Jason continuing. I hope not🤞

He does go over some ground we already know, but some information I had not heard before (actual distractions while skating, more stories about coming out) so it is worth a listen for Jasonites.

Although he thought he was going to GPF when he gave it:cry:

Ross74

Medalist
Well, I will be interested to see, if someone else listens to the audio, if I was overly optimistic in my interpretation about Jason continuing. I hope not🤞
I just listened to that part but haven't yet listened to the rest. IMO he is mainly using this to put emphasis on his current state of mind and condition. He says he feels strong, prepared, and excited, and at this moment he definitely feels he could even go a couple of more years, but then there are obviously days when he's really feeling it.

Whatever he means, I feel good that he's feeling good at the moment. (y)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason is listed as one of the skaters for "Stars on Ice" tour in spring 2022

and
it's coming to Allentown:party2:

( arena is four miles from my house. I could walk. I won't;))

I will definitely try to catch that show. Maybe even in Allentown. Just drove by there today on my way back home from NY!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
El thanks for posting this! My mom used to listen to WGN all the time when I was a kid because she was a big Cubs fan!

I just listened to the full interview - it was good! The interviewer asked some really interesting questions and Jason gave thoughtful answers. Most of all I’m happy that he seems so relaxed and balanced - much more so than in 2018.

I do find it a bit odd that his choreography is still being tweaked, bc I thought repetition was key to muscle memory etc. But hopefully it’s working for him, and it seems like new 4S entry has worked and (I like that it’s shorter and not so telegraphed) so I guess tweaking has its place! 😂

Re whether he’ll stay in after this year: to me it sounds like he’s leaving it open as a possibility. I would guess that if he was sure this would be his last year he’d probably say something like that, or convey more strongly that he’s ready for the next phase in his life. Although he’s probably so focused on this season that he’s not thinking about it, so maybe not!

I do think it was interesting that this came up in the context of his competitiveness- ie that he is in between generations and the next generation is growing up doing many quads etc. So I’m guessing one of the things he’ll take into account when deciding whether to continue will be how long he can remain competitive with skaters like Yuma, Shun, Ilia etc. Right now he’s mostly not competitive at the very top - ie for World /Oly gold - but he still medals on the GP etc. I’m guessing he may not want to keep skating if he can no longer medal on the GP, but that just my guess and it remains to be seen when that would actually start happening.

Anyway I’m really looking forward to seeing him at Nats!