2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

Joekaz

On the Ice
Not that it makes a difference in standings, but Wakaba got 205.27 at Skate Canada.

Sadly, I think Rino's chances are almost gone by now. Her injury has prevented her from showing anywhere near her best on the GP, and she'll need to do her career best performances at Nationals to even be considered at this point. As for Rika, I think she'll be on the team as long as she makes the podium, but we haven't heard any promising updates about her condition, and Nationals is less than a month away.
Any of the girls that had GP assignments that podium will make it. No one has been good enough to warrant an exemption. Last Oly year, only a GPF victory would have automatically qualified, and Higuchi being the only one who qualified for GPF got no benefit. JSF usually goes with the podium unless it is injury to a superstar like Mao or Hanyu, regardless what the official criteria says. That doesn't apply here. JSF takes Nationals very seriously. However, Im sure they will take season performance along with other issues into account when it comes to how strict or lenient the judges are with different skaters.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think Sakamoto caught a break with the GPF cancellation. She avoids the fate of Higuchi, who finished dead last in the Finals in an Olympics year, and that did her no favors when trying to land an Olympics spot with a fourth place finish in Nationals.
I agree, better for Sakamoto to just concentrate on training for Nats. All she has to do is avoid a complete meltdown like she had a couple of years ago, which seems very unlikely.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The ISU is apparently still holding out hope of tacking the GPF on at the end of the season, following Worlds.

So here's an interesting thought: could Mai Mihara now get in as the third alternate?

Five Russians are ahead of her in qualifying. It is very likely that three of them will be going to the Olympics. Those three will already have a grueling gauntlet of Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds ahead of them. Would they have enough left in the tank to hang around for one more, lesser event? Would they even want to?

Sakamoto might be doing the triple as well. I wouldn't put it past her to step aside for the benefit of her good friend either.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The ISU is apparently still holding out hope of tacking the GPF on at the end of the season, following Worlds.

So here's an interesting thought: could Mai Mihara now get in as the third alternate?

Five Russians are ahead of her in qualifying. It is very likely that three of them will be going to the Olympics. Those three will already have a grueling gauntlet of Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds ahead of them. Would they have enough left in the tank to hang around for one more, lesser event? Would they even want to?
First of all, I think replacing the GPF with the time when WTT usually happens wouldn't be a bad idea. The skates will be in almost top condition, now have time to rest in between the series and Nats, and it'll be a fun way to close the season. Now, I think it's very possible that several of the Russian women could WD, either due to injury or as you said due to the tough schedule. I think it might be a stretch for Mai to make it in, but Young You should absolutely be preparing and with the way this season has been going, Mai shouldn't completely write herself off either.

Dawn825

Medalist
Not that it matters, but I wouldnt say this is good for Kaori. None of the top Russian women have lost to any non-Russians. If Kaori had managed to beat one or two if them, even ones that didnt end up making the Russian Olympic team, it could have been another big boost to her international reputation.

Reactions: Myr

Lzbee

Final Flight
Not that it matters, but I wouldnt say this is good for Kaori. None of the top Russian women have lost to any non-Russians. If Kaori had managed to beat one or two if them, even ones that didnt end up making the Russian Olympic team, it could have been another big boost to her international reputation.
Yeah I agree. It wasn't detrimental to Kaori that GPF was canceled/postponed but she missed out on an opportunity to improve her standing with international judges. And considering GPF would've been in Japan, she had a good chance to beat a couple of Russians.

Really, the only ones it actively benefited are Kamila and Liza as they had established positions that they'd have had to defend. And probably most detrimental to Maiia and Aliona as they needed to prove that they could beat each other, Kaori at home and possibly Liza too. But that's :ot:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Yeah I agree. It wasn't detrimental to Kaori that GPF was canceled/postponed but she missed out on an opportunity to improve her standing with international judges. And considering GPF would've been in Japan, she had a good chance to beat a couple of Russians.

Really, the only ones it actively benefited are Kamila and Liza as they had established positions that they'd have had to defend. And probably most detrimental to Maiia and Aliona as they needed to prove that they could beat each other, Kaori at home and possibly Liza too. But that's :ot:
I don't think beating a couple of the Russians would have made much difference because it would have been because those Russians messed up, not because Kaori is too good. The problem for Kaori is that her programs aren't difficult enough to compete with the Russians. She relies completely on favorable judging, which she doesn't always get internationally(last years WC for instance) Unfortunately for her, the Russians generally get lenient judging as well, but have much higher BV programs.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I don't think beating a couple of the Russians would have made much difference because it would have been because those Russians messed up, not because Kaori is too good. The problem for Kaori is that her programs aren't difficult enough to compete with the Russians. She relies completely on favorable judging, which she doesn't always get internationally(last years WC for instance) Unfortunately for her, the Russians generally get lenient judging as well, but have much higher BV programs.
Yeah I guess so. But beating the Russians would've established her as the top non ultra-c skater which might have helped with getting favourable judging outside of Japan. (And help her beat Loena, Karen, Young, Alysa, Mariah etc)

Joekaz

On the Ice
Yeah I guess so. But beating the Russians would've established her as the top non ultra-c skater which might have helped with getting favourable judging outside of Japan. (And help her beat Loena, Karen, Young, Alysa, Mariah etc)
I kind of agree, but the problem is that this sport isn't on the level. Kaori already gets favorable judging internationally, just not as much as domestically. But when it really counted at the WC last year, all of a sudden she didn't. But it seems like if Karen Chen needs to secure spots for the US or if Leona is the only non Russian European thats any good, they mysteriously get lenient judging. Just a coincidence I guess. Lol

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
A quick note of a local competition in Aichi (The The 31st Aichi Figure Skating Competition, so-called 'TP' competition, but I'm not quite sure what that stands for. And this is probably some of the final local competitions before Nationals.)

The category for competition is only for Short program.

Sr. women
5. Nana Araki 3F(fall) 2A 3Lo+2T 52.95
9. Hana Yoshida* WD (Hana was also competing at the Jr. women category. But her condition was not as good and she could only jump doubles in the competition...)
14. Mana Kawabe 2A 3Lz+3T 3F 64.24 (into first, 3A was voided)
21. Rin Nitaya 3F<< 2A 1Lz*+Combo 40.93 (Rin seems to be struggling still :(...)
22. Marin Honda 2S+3T 3F 2A 52.88 (2S was opened, but 3T was okay. BTW Marin changed the SP to Seven Nation Army)
24. Miyabi Oba 3S+3T 3Lo 2A 59.42 into 2nd
26. Chisato Uramatsu 3Lz3T 2A 3F 54.99
28. Mako Yamashita 3Lo 2A 3Lz+2T 62.16

Protocol

Last edited:

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
The Grand Prix series is over. I’m just going to post the top scores from the Japanese ladies for reference:

1. Kaori Sakamoto: 223.34
2. Mai Mihara: 214.95
3. Satoko Miyahara: 209.57
4. Mana Kawabe: 205.44
5. Wakabe Higuchi: 204.91
6. Rino Matsuike: 186.17

This is a rough blue-print of what we may see at Nationals, which is only a month away. The joker’s wild is Rika. If she shows up to Nationals, I expect for her to make the podium and make the Olympic team, even without a 3A. Another would be Matsuike’s condition by Nationals. This isn’t last year so even if she’s in form, I don’t see her on the Olympic team. See how quickly things change? The bottom line is that someone with some skills will be left off the team regardless if Rika or Matsuike show up ready to play ball.
Well if we add up their best short and free skate from the season we get:
1. Kaori 223.48
2. Wakaba 220.77
3. Mai 214.96
4. Satoko 209.57
5. Mana 207.10

But Wakaba is very unlikely to hit two clean programs and Satoko will get her URs overlooked, so I agree that Kaori Mai and Satoko are favorites for the podium unless Rika returns in form. But I do hope Wakaba lands that 3A in the short

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
A few days ago Shingo Nishiyama posted something on his IG stories at TCC that showed Rika landing a 3Lz. A couple of weeks ago TSL reported she wasn't jumping 3Lz or 3F, but it looks like now she's doing all triples except the axel. I doubt she'll have her ultra-c's back by Nats, but if she has a solid skate with basically all triples, she can make the podium and will then have a month to recover the 3A.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A few days ago Shingo Nishiyama posted something on his IG stories at TCC that showed Rika landing a 3Lz. A couple of weeks ago TSL reported she wasn't jumping 3Lz or 3F, but it looks like now she's doing all triples except the axel. I doubt she'll have her ultra-c's back by Nats, but if she has a solid skate with basically all triples, she can make the podium and will then have a month to recover the 3A.
That is good news! I really miss Rika and Bradie!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh! Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I can now lower my expectations regarding Rika so I, not disappointed during Japanese Nationals.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Oh... I thought Google translate was just being weird. So we're back to square one with Rika 😭

• Sad
Reactions: Giu

Joekaz

On the Ice
Well if we add up their best short and free skate from the season we get:
1. Kaori 223.48
2. Wakaba 220.77
3. Mai 214.96
4. Satoko 209.57
5. Mana 207.10

But Wakaba is very unlikely to hit two clean programs and Satoko will get her URs overlooked, so I agree that Kaori Mai and Satoko are favorites for the podium unless Rika returns in form. But I do hope Wakaba lands that 3A in the short
Wakaba does not need to be completely clean. She just needs to avoid pops or a fall. I agree the judging will be stricter for her than the girls you mentioned, but if she avoids major errors, her clear superiority over them should prevail.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Wakaba does not need to be completely clean. She just needs to avoid pops or a fall. I agree the judging will be stricter for her than the girls you mentioned, but if she avoids major errors, her clear superiority over them should prevail.
Wakaba's weakness is not making a mistake, but losing concentration and giving up the program after just one mistake.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba's weakness is not making a mistake, but losing concentration and giving up the program after just one mistake.
Actually, that does not really happen to her much when she is in decent form as she has been this year, or last Olympic year. The one exception was the Austrian challenger this season, but that was just a warmup event with little competition, no fans, and scores being written on post it notes. Lol