Should I keep trying? If so what can I do to improve | Golden Skate

Should I keep trying? If so what can I do to improve

plasmaful

Spectator
Hi! I’m sorry if this is a lot to answer, any guidance is appreciated :)

I started learning to figure skate at around the middle of last year, I went frequently until I had to stop because of a move. Im 15 now. I have autism so balance is one thing I’ve struggled with (it took me a few months to learn how to do a swizzle 😬) so I know Im a slow learner + starting and an older age gives me a disadvantage. My goals are small, eventually I want to be able to preform at small local competitions or maybe even do the basic testing. I’m also not able to go skating as much as I want to but I hope to start going more in the future!

My question is; Should I keep trying to progress or do you think I’ll be trying to achieve something impossible? I love figure skating so much so I don’t want to quit. But I want to know if I can do anything like I dream? And what can I do to practice balancing and beginning figure skating things off ice? Thank you so much :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
If you love it, keep trying. Just because progress is slow is no reason to ever quit. Everyone hits plateaus and they need to be worked through.

Off ice for balance - yoga really helps as does ballet. If you can do a class where an instructor can correct position, that is better

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I’m sorry if this is a lot to answer, any guidance is appreciated :)

I started learning to figure skate at around the middle of last year, I went frequently until I had to stop because of a move. Im 15 now. I have autism so balance is one thing I’ve struggled with (it took me a few months to learn how to do a swizzle 😬) so I know Im a slow learner + starting and an older age gives me a disadvantage. My goals are small, eventually I want to be able to preform at small local competitions or maybe even do the basic testing. I’m also not able to go skating as much as I want to but I hope to start going more in the future!

My question is; Should I keep trying to progress or do you think I’ll be trying to achieve something impossible? I love figure skating so much so I don’t want to quit. But I want to know if I can do anything like I dream? And what can I do to practice balancing and beginning figure skating things off ice? Thank you so much :)
Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you have taken up figure skating as it's a wonderful sport for all.
Don't give up! You can keep progressing for as long as you like and take your time if need be. You can even compete into your adult years! :)

Off ice pilates, beginner barre/ballet.

Good luck and keep enjoying skating!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh, definitely don't stop! Skating is for everyone and all about the joy! You don't have to have started at the age of 3 with the Olympics firmly in your sights; people start at all ages and for many it's a lifelong love.

Progress isn't linear - things that you pick up quickly can disappear just as quickly, but they do come back - and every single one of us have what I call "Plank Days". You know those days when you feel like a piece of wood and skate like one? I promise you that we all have them. Even World Champions. We just keep going in the knowledge that there will be a better day.

To help with balance off ice, try yoga, pilates, barre, ballet, gymnastics and any of the specially-tailored off-ice programs that are available. Ask your coach if they can recommend something they feel will be good for you. And don't give up!

I don't know where you are in the world, but the UK has a wonderful organisation called Inclusive Skating which is really helpful for skaters with disabilities and a diagnosis of autism would mean that you qualify for their sessions and competitions, etc. You can find them on Facebook and Instagram and their website is here.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

Vicki7

On the Ice
I second Inclusive Skating - even if you’re outside the UK, they’re running competitions virtually so that people from all over the world can join in :) They’ve been life changing for me :)

But no matter what, if you love being on the ice, keep skating. We all progress differently (I tend to take the scenic route…) and that’s absolutely okay, as long as you’re enjoying the journey :)

plasmaful

Spectator
If you love it, keep trying. Just because progress is slow is no reason to ever quit. Everyone hits plateaus and they need to be worked through.

Off ice for balance - yoga really helps as does ballet. If you can do a class where an instructor can correct position, that is better
Thank you so much!!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just want to chime in with my own support. If you love it, don't stop. Your goals sound reasonable. They might take more time to achieve than you'd like, but as long as you make progress every time on the ice and you love what you do, that's all that matters.

I'm a coach and one of my favourite skaters to coach has been working on stage 2 CanSkate for 4 years. They just figured out how to skate by picking their feet up off the ice. Their progress has been slow, but I've never met a more enthusiastic skater in my life. Everything excites them, no matter how simple and they absolutely glow every time they're on the ice. That is what matters. That's what this sport needs more of. People who love being on the ice and it sounds like you are one of them 🥰