2022 US Stars on Ice | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2022 US Stars on Ice

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Also, not specifically related to the show, but had a lovely dinner with @Bookseller @iluvtodd (and hubby) and @Seven Sisters before the show. They can correct me for everything I probably got wrong. :biggrin:
Not to “correct” anything El Henry says, but I will add that I, for one, did applaud Hubbell/Donohue’s lift, which took place right in front of us :)

To me Knierim/Frazier were the biggest surprise of the evening. Alexa seemed much more genuine, and Brandon much more engaged, than I have ever seen either live or on video. They also endeared themselves to me by using Zhigansina/Gaszi’s infamous zombie dance music for one number :)

The other thing that truly surprised me was the shallowness of Chock & Bates’ edges. They were…just not what I would have expected from Worlds medalists. Yes, I know—this is not a competition and we spectators are here to have fun and to be entertained but—if you are ice dancers and you are going to skate right in front of me, I am going to watch you from the knees down, I can’t help myself :)

Their lifts are good though (as are H/D’s.) I had actually never seen either team live before and it was interesting to see how different they are from each other.

I have sort of a different take about Alysa Liu, too. Her programs, both set to Kpop, were perhaps not the best choices to appeal to a SOI audience, unlikely as it is to know all the nuances of the source material. They were also too similar, and they did kind of fall flat. But I didn’t think she seemed unengaged. I thought that she was probably skating to music she personally likes and maybe was not clear about why the audience wasn’t sharing the love.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to “correct” anything El Henry says, but I will add that I, for one, did applaud Hubbell/Donohue’s lift, which took place right in front of us :)

To me Knierim/Frazier were the biggest surprise of the evening. Alexa seemed much more genuine, and Brandon much more engaged, than I have ever seen either live or on video. They also endeared themselves to me by using Zhigansina/Gaszi’s infamous zombie dance music for one number :)

The other thing that truly surprised me was the shallowness of Chock & Bates’ edges. They were…just not what I would have expected from Worlds medalists. Yes, I know—this is not a competition and we spectators are here to have fun and to be entertained but—if you are ice dancers and you are going to skate right in front of me, I am going to watch you from the knees down, I can’t help myself :)

Their lifts are good though (as are H/D’s.) I had actually never seen either team live before and it was interesting to see how different they are from each other.

I have sort of a different take about Alysa Liu, too. Her programs, both set to Kpop, were perhaps not the best choices to appeal to a SOI audience, unlikely as it is to know all the nuances of the source material. They were also too similar, and they did kind of fall flat. But I didn’t think she seemed unengaged. I thought that she was probably skating to music she personally likes and maybe was not clear about why the audience wasn’t sharing the love.

Oh I had no doubt you were clapping:biggrin:

I appreciate the take on Alysa. Maybe I was just looking at her face, for more than that hint of a half smile, at the wrong times. But if she stays with it, she'll learn: the audience of skating aunties is willing to learn about new music. I never heard Vincent's or Nathan's "exhibition" music before, and didn't mind.

But no matter how much you love it, the music won't sell itself. You have to sell it too. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We applauded a LOT for Maddie & Zach, & Maddie & Evan, too!

I wish Alysa had done her "Gypsy Dance" short program as one of the numbers.

I went nuts over Jason doing 4 consecutive Russian Splits in his first program. @ the Meet & Greet, I thanked him for that. He was oh, so gracious about it Two years ago, I got to talk to him @ a top four men's autograph session @ US Nationals. I mentioned to him that we have a nephew who looks like him (since he ditched the pony tail). I didn't have the photo evidence back then, but I brought it this time, and I think Jason agreed with the assessment. My husband Mark asked if he would include a little message on the mini-autograph poster that was provided for each M&G attendee. He obliged and wrote "To Ross (our nephew) - always follow your heart!" I had a photo of myself with Mirai from Skate America (when she did the Ice Desk analysis there with Polina Edmunds). I was able to give it to her (enclosed in a note card) during the M&G. We made a point of saying "Hi" to everyone @ the M&G, even though it was short. A number of the skaters recognized us (we have given them photos from previous encounters - mostly @ Nationals). Many of them asked us if we enjoyed the show & thanked us for coming.

Oh, we really enjoyed the show, especially the second half! Loved seeing the competitive programs one more time!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I do wish US Stars on Ice would include international skaters, though. I was just reading an account of the Canadian version, which is also now on the road—it includes the lovely Satoko Miyahara, Kurt Browning skating “Nyah,” and this —-

I can assure you that I would have been on the edge of my seat for all three!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do wish US Stars on Ice would include international skaters, though. I was just reading an account of the Canadian version, which is also now on the road—it includes the lovely Satoko Miyahara, Kurt Browning skating “Nyah,” and this —-

I can assure you that I would have been on the edge of my seat for all three!

Other ice shows have always intrigued me. The men's line-up for The Ice in Japan: Kevin, Jun, JasonNathanVincentIlia and of course Shoma and Kazuki!😍

But, SOI in the US has not had international skaters for some time, whatever the reasons. Since the men are my favorite discipline, this year that was not much of a problem for me. Or any other year, for that matter.:biggrin:

I may have been too hard on Alysa, I saw snippets of an IG Live, and maybe she just needs to learn to grow into "tour life". However, I do not think she will be in the near future, after SOI.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see some international skaters on the US SOI tour, but I think especially with year - the US was celebrating its' showing at the Olympics with a particularly strong team and the men's OGM. Maybe they also think that mainstream US audiences might not know or appreciate seeing skaters from other countries, who knows?

Still, I am very jealous that the Canadian tour has Satoko. I think Evgenia was also a cast member in previous years, so clearly the Canadian organizers are a bit more adventurous when it comes to inviting skaters from other countries. Also Canada didn't win any skating medals in the Olympics this time around so we are seeing only a few representatives from their team (Keegan, Piper and Paul, Kirsten and Michael) and the rest are retired champs plus Alissa Czisny, Satoko and fan fave Elladj. I would have loved to see Maddie or Roman invited as well, maybe future tours?

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see some international skaters on the US SOI tour, but I think especially with year - the US was celebrating its' showing at the Olympics with a particularly strong team and the men's OGM. Maybe they also think that mainstream US audiences might not know or appreciate seeing skaters from other countries, who knows?

Still, I am very jealous that the Canadian tour has Satoko. I think Evgenia was also a cast member in previous years, so clearly the Canadian organizers are a bit more adventurous when it comes to inviting skaters from other countries. Also Canada didn't win any medals in the Olympics this time around so we are seeing only a few representatives from their team (Keegan, Piper and Paul, Kirsten and Michael) and the rest are retired champs plus Alissa Czisny and Satoko. I would have loved to see Maddie or Roman invited as well, maybe future tours?

As those of us who were there know, this SOI tour was the "Nathan Chen and his All Stars Tour". :biggrin: I don't blame them at all. He is the biggest draw, and they need to publicize the biggest draw.

Frankly, for me, although there are skaters I would certainly enjoy seeing in the Canadian SOI, the American SOI has more skaters that I am interested in. But I hope that if anyone goes to Canadian SOI, they were start a thread where we can read all about it.

In the meantime, get yourself a hype man like Jason Brown hypes his castmates in SOI

(the video is to the right at the top of the page)

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had never been to a SOI show, from the early 90s through the mid 00s I was going to Champions On Ice. They always did a great show.

Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call on Wednesday from a coworker, that a mutual friend we both know had two tickets to SOI and she wanted to know if we wanted to join her, so they didn't go to waste! The show was in Newark, NJ, and the seats were amazing! We were in the 4th row from the ice, I had never been so close.

:)

It was such a great show, and the choreographed group numbers were fun! There were a few bobbles here and there with some skaters, but you could tell they were giving their all.

I'm so happy I got to see it!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had never been to a SOI show, from the early 90s through the mid 00s I was going to Champions On Ice. They always did a great show.

Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call on Wednesday from a coworker, that a mutual friend we both know had two tickets to SOI and she wanted to know if we wanted to join her, so they didn't go to waste! The show was in Newark, NJ, and the seats were amazing! We were in the 4th row from the ice, I had never been so close.

:)

It was such a great show, and the choreographed group numbers were fun! There were a few bobbles here and there with some skaters, but you could tell they were giving their all.

I'm so happy I got to see it!
Glad you got to attend. I was also at the same show in Newark. My thoughts are on page 6 of this thread.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two very minor points, (first one I would be interested in hearing from other "non-Allentown" SOI attendees if the same music was played).

1. The "walk out music", after the lights went up, was "Shining Star" by Earth Wind & Fire. I adored EW&F back in the day the way I adore Jason now. I was boogeying up the very long staircase. Folks probably thought I was nuts or inspired by the show:laugh:

2. I bought the T-Shirt, of course horribly overpriced, but that's how I roll. The back said "We're Still Skating" (the final group number has "I'm Still Standing" prominently featured). Cute.

@CellarDweller I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was at the Boston show last night after not seeing SOI since 2018 when I was skating it so it was a completely different experience.

It started at 7:30 with a 10 min delay due to Karen not skating due to illness. Very few open seats left - it really was sold out, but about half the size as providence. I was in $30 seats and they were great right near the front. I did have a bright spotlight on me for some numbers tho.

I know other people have done post show reports so I'll leave it brief but can elaborate on anyone if wanted. There were no major mistakes besides Evan's? accidental fall in Elton John. So happy I got to see Sinnerman live and Jason's 4 russian splits in a row were amazing. Everyone had good speed and edges (they had just gotten adjustments and sharpening earlier that day)
My fav skaters of the night were K/F - I loved their fix you program and agree with what people said about that they shouldn't retire.
My least fav skater of the night was Alysa - she just seemed to be focusing more on the arm movements than actual skating. This was my first time seeing her skate in person - she defiantly got the crowd going though. Also Mirai - I've seen her skate stronger at our rink so I know she can do more than what she put out there.

I went to the meet and greet post show - was very rushed for my friend but I was towards the end and go to talk to everyone and got pics with everyone. I can post them on my Instagram today so you can see the setup. Probably was in the room for 10 min max - Alysa was probably my best interaction when we talked about the Instagram lives - she had given me axel tips years ago and wanted to know if i ever got it so great memory. Also it was nice to see Madi's engagement ring in person again :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry to hear that Karen was ill. Hopefully it wasn't covid! I admit to being a little concerned about all that unmasked close contact in the arena in Allentown, but I wore an N95 mask from street to seat and seat to car. I skipped the M&G but most people that went did have good experiences. I had an hour to drive after I left the arena and I opted for safe passage instead of the 10 minutes at the M&G. But I fully enjoyed the program and was dancing in my seat to Sinnerman!

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I was at Hershey with a friend. Jason was so popular in this show and skated beautifully. I met another big Jason fan sitting in front of me and found out that she lives near me. We are going to get together. Lots to talk about!!! I was happy to see Vincent skate so well - and he looked really happy. Wasn’t crazy about the EJ theme because I felt the choreography could have been better. Did anyone else feel that way? I guess bc a lot of the fluff was about the Olympic Champion (mostly back flips and a few jumps - lots of skating around with bad posture and arms above the head). It’s just not a style I personally like. This review is my opinion only. The pairs and dance programs were great. The audience enjoyed them too. Mariah skated very well and seemed to be having the time of her life. It was nice to see some of these skaters live for the first time. I didn’t care for the costuming on some of the group numbers. The individual costumes were very nice for the most part. I missed Jason after the show on the way home yesterday - it was so nice to see him skate again live. Remember- this is my opinion!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I’m heading to the show in Long Island tonight and I had a few questions! (I apologise if these have already been asked/answered before) I’ve never seen skating live before and I’m quite excited!

1. How long is the show?

2. How much in advance should I arrive? Does the show start right on time? (And for those who’ve been to the UBS arena before, what’s the parking situation?)

3. How cold is it? I’ve been to a skating rink before, and I know it’s cold, but how cold is it actually?

And finally, any tips or anything else?!

Thanks,
Minz

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m heading to the show in Long Island tonight and I had a few questions! (I apologise if these have already been asked/answered before) I’ve never seen skating live before and I’m quite excited!

1. How long is the show?

2. How much in advance should I arrive? Does the show start right on time? (And for those who’ve been to the UBS arena before, what’s the parking situation?)

3. How cold is it? I’ve been to a skating rink before, and I know it’s cold, but how cold is it actually?

Thanks,
Minz

Based on my experiences in Allentown:

1. the show, with all the cast, ends just a little before 10 pm. 20 minute intermission. (ETA: with a 7:30 start. So 2 1/2 hours as @apgold rightfully pointed out)

2. Maybe 5 minutes late? not significantly. And when it starts, it starts. Nathan comes out and skates. :)

3. I was not cold. But Thursday here the high was 52 degrees with a 20 mph wind, so I had on a sweatshirt and a light vest. That said, it didn't feel cold like a comp arena.

4. Pro's tip: If you can get out right before the intermission, do so. Skip the shilling for an adoption agency. I knew what was coming and used my aisle seat to leave right after the skaters left the ice.

Hope you have a great time!

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt at 55 still has the ankles to do Nyah? :rock:

I've seen reports that Kurt is not quite the Kurt of competitive skating, (and I am not a huge fan of Nyah no matter who skates it) but gets huge reactions from the crowd.

I would love to see Jason still skating in shows at 55, he's that good with the performance level. And I would love even more to be here 30 years from now to see it.:laugh:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

1. How long is the show?

Thanks,
Minz

I think the Elmont show is a matinee, correct? I had considered going but chose Newark. If it starts at 4PM - it should be over by 6:30PM. There are two one hour acts with a 20 minute intermission. And I agree with @elhenry that you should get up at intermission - I found the charity pitch to be really awkward.

I think if you arrive 15 minutes before showtime, you should be ok not to miss anything - give you time to use the restroom or buy food or drink. The Newark show started about 5 minutes after showtime.

I've not been to the UBS Arena - I believe it's a relatively new facility next to Belmont Park? I think there is a LIRR stop that goes right there so perhaps I will check it out for future events/ice shows.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States

1. How long is the show?

Thanks,
Minz
2 hours with 20 min intermission. Highly recommend leaving during the charity pitch to use the bathroom/get food.

I was an hour in advanced b/c i told everyone id meet up before the show. doors don't open earlier than that. Show started 10 min late for us.

It's a rink. I wore a light jacket. I was sweating for the m&g though.