2022 JGP Riga Cup Men's Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Riga Cup Men's Short Program

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That's such an odd choice. He could be a major player in UK skating.

Exactly!

Well, there is the whole no duel-nationality thing. And, with being based in Japan, it is probably easier to just represent Japan, rather than having to travel half-way across the world for Qualifiers and Nationals.

I think that is what happened with Rei Yoshimoto, who I mentioned later in the post that you quoted. Her family moved back to Japan, and that was when she stopped representing Great Britain. But, the difference is that Rei is completely Japanese - she was in the UK because of her Dad's work. Rio appears to be mixed race (just like Connor).

Either way, we have a skater to be proud of!

CaroLiza_fan

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:cheer: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIO!!! :cheer:

Wow. So, in this group we have a skater representing Japan who was born in the Great Britain, and in the final group we have a skater representing Great Britain who was born in Japan.

I knew Connor had a Japanese mother, but I didn't know Rio had a connection to the UK. I wonder if he has a British parent, or if circumstances just meant that he was born in Wales.
I believe Rio's mother is British as well. I don't know much about Rio either, but I hear his idol is Shoma. As an aside, I suppose his shirt may be Shoma-inspired as well, although I was thinking about Antons' shirt.