2022 Skate Canada Entries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Entries

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Let's not forget one thing though : this spot was not given to a Canadian woman and it is a host spot that was not fulfilled. Skate Canada has strict requirements to give out these spots... but with the lack of competitions, injuries and retirements, they preferred giving it away than offering it to a lower level Canadian woman. That is the issue some of us have. It is rather uncanny for host countries to give away their host spots... yet, looking at the entries, in pairs and in women, Canada is only having two of the three spots allowed.

It gets aggravating for Canadian fans, considering the athletes lost out on Nationals due to covid, couldn't travel out, etc etc... At this point, it would be expected for Skate Canada to give these opportunities to local athletes, even if they may finish in last place.

It's not like there are absolutely NO athletes available. Just NO athletes having scored high enough to meet the strict Skate Canada requirements. However, this becomes a chicken or egg situation... if the athletes do not get out, they cannot achieve these scores... so they cannot get out ... etc

So then this is an issue of how Canada is choosing to deal with its athletes. Not of a U.S. skater getting the spot due to the U.S. tossing money around.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So then this is an issue of how Canada is choosing to deal with its athletes. Not of a U.S. skater getting the spot due to the U.S. tossing money around.
My post did not mention anything about the usa...simply explained why some Canadians fans are fed up.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
My post did not mention anything about the usa...simply explained why some Canadians fans are fed up.
You directly quoted my response, which included my U.S. mention.
So although your own comment did not mention the U.S., your entire post did include it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cmon. A lot of the issue with late replacements is the cost of getting the skater to the venue. If Skate Canada feels it doesn't have a Canadian woman with the skill set to compete in the GP and has to look elsewhere, then it is A LOT cheaper to get a replacement from south of the Canadian border who trains in an area as close to the competition venue as possible. No money has to be "waved around".

I can think of many, many SA events where last minute replacements were chosen from Canada, for the same reason.

The reason there weren't many Canadian women available for assignment to the GP is that this is the post-Olympic season where many senior skaters retired: Veronik Mallet, Alison Schumacher, Emily Bausback, Alicia Pineault, Michelle Long. Injury has kept Kaya Ruiter off the ice for over a year. And many of the top junior skaters (Shi, Theroux, Pereira, Miclette, Yun, Dupuis) did the JGP this season, which meant they could not skate in the GP.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
In general it seems there's quite some skaters doing back-to-back American GPs this year? More than last season?
I did not count so ofc I could be totally wrong :laugh:

Ziotic

Medalist
In general it seems there's quite some skaters doing back-to-back American GPs this year? More than last season?
I did not count so ofc I could be totally wrong :laugh:
It usually happens with more replacements from the original assigned skaters

Reverie

On the Ice
Let's not forget one thing though : this spot was not given to a Canadian woman and it is a host spot that was not fulfilled. Skate Canada has strict requirements to give out these spots... but with the lack of competitions, injuries and retirements, they preferred giving it away than offering it to a lower level Canadian woman. That is the issue some of us have. It is rather uncanny for host countries to give away their host spots... yet, looking at the entries, in pairs and in women, Canada is only having two of the three spots allowed.

It gets aggravating for Canadian fans, considering the athletes lost out on Nationals due to covid, couldn't travel out, etc etc... At this point, it would be expected for Skate Canada to give these opportunities to local athletes, even if they may finish in last place.

It's not like there are absolutely NO athletes available. Just NO athletes having scored high enough to meet the strict Skate Canada requirements. However, this becomes a chicken or egg situation... if the athletes do not get out, they cannot achieve these scores... so they cannot get out ... etc
I wonder if this international benchmark of 155 for Womens only applies to senior events scored internationally and is not applicable if the score was achieved at JGP event?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder if this international benchmark of 155 for Womens only applies to senior events scored internationally and is not applicable if the score was achieved at JGP event?
if the score was achieved at JGP event this year, the skater is not eligible anyways.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You directly quoted my response, which included my U.S. mention.
So although your own comment did not mention the U.S., your entire post did include it.
My point starts with, Let's not forget... bla bla bla... and explains why some Canadian fans are fed up and are hoping for more opportunities for Canadian skaters... so in light of this, it was addressing the concept that yes, some fans will complain when a host spot is given to a skater from the USA.... and that happened in both pairs and women. So, I personally didn't bring the "USA factor" up, but I am more than able to comprehend why the person who brought it up is upset. And I agree with being upset about these host spots not being given to Canadian athletes... maybe read my original post in that context. It's not always easy to make sure that we are understood completely and entirely.

readernick

Medalist
I understand why Canadian fans would be upset. It is upsetting when feds don't trust their own skaters enough to send them to challengers to get the minimum scores they need to participate in the GP. Hopefully, SC learns from its mistakes and makes better decisions next year.

In the past, US fed frequently made the same mistake. However, this year, they appear to be making an effort to send any skater who appeared to have some potential to challengers. Ava-Marie winning the Challenger she was sent to is likely the reason she was chosen for this event (like Rinka), in addition to the fact that it is cheaper for SC to invite her because she trains in the US. The inviting fed pays the travel cost so it is common for them to invite skaters who live close by. It is a matter of money but not in the way that the OP suggested. (not talking about @4everchan who never made such a suggestion. )

Personally, I am very happy Ava-Marie got the invite. She isn't the most consistent skater. But, she has such amazingly powerful skating and powerful jumps. She deserves a chance to learn how to compete. In terms of Canadian ladies, I like Kaiya very much and I am sure she would have been chosen for this spot if she was healthy earlier in the year. Hopefully, if she does improve her conditioning throughout the year, SC will send her to several international events. She has a lot of potential.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I understand why Canadian fans would be upset. It is upsetting when feds don't trust their own skaters enough to send them to challengers to get the minimum scores they need to participate in the GP. Hopefully, SC learns from its mistakes and makes better decisions next year.

In the past, US fed frequently made the same mistake. However, this year, they appear to be making an effort to send any skater who appeared to have some potential to challengers. Ava-Marie winning the Challenger she was sent to is likely the reason she was chosen for this event (like Rinka), in addition to the fact that it is cheaper for SC to invite her because she trains in the US. The inviting fed pays the travel cost so it is common for them to invite skaters who live close by. It is a matter of money but not in the way that the OP suggested. (not talking about @4everchan who never made such a suggestion. )

Personally, I am very happy Ava-Marie got the invite. She isn't the most consistent skater. But, she has such amazingly powerful skating and powerful jumps. She deserves a chance to learn how to compete. In terms of Canadian ladies, I like Kaya very much and I am sure she would have been chosen for this spot if she was healthy earlier in the year. Hopefully, if she does improve her conditioning throughout the year, SC will send her to several international events. She has a lot of potential.
par 1

they do not learn...it's been like this for years....

par 2

happy for US skaters. they deserve to compete ! and yes, thank you for reading my post carefully ;)

par 3

i haven't had a chance to watch Ava Marie yet. Looking forward to doing so but still, I know that I will have a "too bad they didn't invite one of the relatively strong junior women who didn't even get to compete on the JGP circuit this year like Fiona Bombardier for instance... (or Ruitter). In a sport where consistency is key it pains me to see Canadian athletes not being given opportunities.

Consistency comes with confidence

Confidence comes with experience

Experience doesn't come when you are not competing... thanks to your own Fed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Cmon. A lot of the issue with late replacements is the cost of getting the skater to the venue. If Skate Canada feels it doesn't have a Canadian woman with the skill set to compete in the GP and has to look elsewhere, then it is A LOT cheaper to get a replacement from south of the Canadian border who trains in an area as close to the competition venue as possible. No money has to be "waved around".

I can think of many, many SA events where last minute replacements were chosen from Canada, for the same reason.
I don't disagree with what you are saying but you are omitting ONE very important detail.... The disgruntled Canadian fans are happy when spots are filled (for instance Wakaba replaced by Rinka etc)... nobody wants to pay to attend a depleted field. That's not the point. The point is that when Alison withdrew or Walsh and Michaud, was it completely impossible to replace those athletes, who were local athletes by Canadian athletes....?

How many times have USA host spots been given to people not representing the USA, even after withdrawals? There were 3 American women, men pairs and dance teams at SKAM... This year, only 2 pairs and women are from Canada at Skate Canada...
That's the point being made...

readernick

Medalist
par 1

they do not learn...it's been like this for years....

par 2

happy for US skaters. they deserve to compete ! and yes, thank you for reading my post carefully ;)

par 3

i haven't had a chance to watch Ava Marie yet. Looking forward to doing so but still, I know that I will have a "too bad they didn't invite one of the relatively strong junior women who didn't even get to compete on the JGP circuit this year like Fiona Bombardier for instance... (or Ruitter). In a sport where consistency is key it pains me to see Canadian athletes not being given opportunities.

Consistency comes with confidence

Confidence comes with experience

Experience doesn't come when you are not competing... thanks to your own Fed.

I agree 100% that Canadian skaters should be given more opportunities. I’m sorry that isn’t happening. Consistency usually does only result from frequent competition. I think the reason many people responded less that favorably to your complaints has nothing to do with your post but rather to the rather ridiculous suggestion that the US bribed Canada for this spot. But, they shouldn’t have roped you into that argument.

I will say that there were times in the past when the US didn’t use all their spots but the US fed is getting smarter and giving skaters opportunities. Hopefully, Canada will, too. And Japan who frequently give up their ice dance spots and pairs spots.

I can’t say I’m familiar with Fiona’s skating but I certainly hope she gets opportunities in the future.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree 100% that Canadian skaters should be given more opportunities. I’m sorry that isn’t happening. Consistency usually does only result from frequent competition. I think the reason many people responded less that favorably to your complaints has nothing to do with your post but rather to the rather ridiculous suggestion that the US bribed Canada for this spot. But, they shouldn’t have roped you into that argument.

I will say that there were times in the past when the US didn’t use all their spots but the US fed is getting smarter and giving skaters opportunities. Hopefully, Canada will, too. And Japan who frequently give up their ice dance spots and pairs spots.

I can’t say I’m familiar with Fiona’s skating but I certainly hope she gets opportunities in the future.
Japan often had to give up their host spots in dance and pairs because they simply didn't have teams competing...

In pairs, there are a couple CAN teams developing. Not great yet (Élizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot & Daniel Villeneuve or Carignan/Pierro)... but considering what was seen at SKAM with some lower level teams attempting a double twist and SBS single axels... I think they would have been just fine... (I have covered women already). So it's not like there aren't any CAN athletes available... they are lower level at this point with the many injuries and retirements...

I cannot speak for the user who mentioned $ and the USA getting spots... but this is what happens when one starts losing faith in their national federation. There are hypothesis thrown out there... because really... what else could explain it...?

I have another suggestion : I believe that Laurin -Éthier were given a pairs spot at SKAM (giving them back to back spots) in exchange for the women spot in SCI :)

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Japan often had to give up their host spots in dance and pairs because they simply didn't have teams competing.
Off topic but this was true in the past but it isn't true now. Japan has several ice dance teams who they could've invited to GP Japan last year and they chose not to. Instead they only used one host pick. I thought they were pretty stupid for doing so. Canadian fed is also pretty stupid for not using its host picks. Although, if they did trade a lady for a pairs team, they may have made a good trade since the Canadian pair got bronze and a medal seems out of reach for the Canadian women ( possible exception Madeline) at SC.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Off topic but this was true in the past but it isn't true now. Japan has several ice dance teams who they could've invited to GP Japan last year and they chose not to. Instead they only used one host pick. I thought they were pretty stupid for doing so. Canadian fed is also pretty stupid for not using it's host picks. Although, if they did trade a lady for a pairs team, that may have made a good trade since the Canadian pair got bronze and a medal seems out of reach for the Canadian women ( possible exception Madeline) at SC.
since we mentioned Kaiya... she is listed for Ice Challenge in a couple weeks for now (in Seniors)... so it's not like she cannot compete.. it's really because Skate Canada will not send their skaters unless they got the kind of scores they want... I haven't seen her skate since the injury... but I doubt it would be a wasted spot to send her at Skate Canada... btw... it makes me think about Kaetlyn going to skate Canada after injury and falling on every jump... it wasn't fabulous.. but it gave her perspective of the work needed to be done and that she could only go up from there... and up she went. anyways... I will drop the topic for now...

Regarding Laurin and Ethier... very few people could have predicted they would medal...
Regarding Madeline : she didn't need any help as she got the two spots on her own merits.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did see a video of Kaiya skating recently at a Canadian event about a month ago, and she was still having a few jump problems. Perhaps Skate Canada felt she wasn't quite ready for her GP debut. Ice Challenge is in mid-November and she will have more recovery and practice time.

You can't make a comparison between Kaiya (whose last international competition was a JGP event in August 2021) and Kaetlyn Osmond, who had had years of successful senior competitions, including the GP, until she suffered her broken leg.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What I am saying is that many Canadian fans would prefer watching Kaiya, ready or not, than an out of country skater taking a host spot... That's all. And let's be realistic : if SKAM had given some host spots to skaters from other countries, there would be a "what about giving these spots to one of our athletes" uproar as well... There probably be would be an entire thread with hundreds of posts about it...

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
It is just hard to accept the fact that there are 3 USA ladies skating at Skate Canada and only 2 CAN ladies at a home event. And for some of us with long memories it is hard to also accept that Ava Marie got picked simply because she won a B event. Yet the year Osmond won Skate Canada she was never given a 2nd GP even though there were some openings.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is just hard to accept the fact that there are 3 USA ladies skating at Skate Canada and only 2 CAN ladies at a home event. And for some of us with long memories it is hard to also accept that Ava Marie got picked simply because she won a B event. Yet the year Osmond won Skate Canada she was never given a 2nd GP even though there were some openings.
Yup... another aggravating element... gosh those memories are vivid.. Young Osmond shocks the figure skating world and wins Skate Canada... she had been given a host spot... she didn't have a second spot... all season, we watched skaters withdraw and be replaced by someone else... why? Osmond was a threat to earn a GP final spot... And people wonder why some Canadian fans are at times upset when our skaters are not given opportunities... :)