2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey folks!

We used to have a volunteer who took care of the "Canadian Nationals" forum to post threads for regionals/sections. We have volunteers for the US, Russian and Japanese national threads, but no takers yet for Canada.

PM me if anyone is interested?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
well i would think that switching disciplines then overcoming injuries to compete at your first event is a good reason to celebrate... perhaps a bit more than getting a Q instead of a < :)
Wrong Q! Roman got the Q that indicated he qualified for the free program. You can decide if that is a good enough reason to celebrate; I think for him it was. It was especially nice that he got it immediately; the first skaters have to wait for it, no matter how well they skated.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wrong Q! Roman got the Q that indicated he qualified for the free program. You can decide if that is a good enough reason to celebrate; I think for him it was. It was especially nice that he got it immediately; the first skaters have to wait for it, no matter how well they skated.
haha.. i thought the OP meant a Q instead of a < (because there have been talks about Roman not getting dinged on under-rotations etc) i understand now LOL That will teach me for posting too late at night... on an empty stomach

I concur... yes... that would be a good reason to celebrate ....

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
haha.. i thought the OP meant a Q instead of a < (because there have been talks about Roman not getting dinged on under-rotations etc) i understand now LOL That will teach me for posting too late at night... on an empty stomach

I wouldn't have known what he meant, except that I saw it live (or time-delayed live). I was puzzled at first by what he meant, then the partial standings came up with a Q for qualified next to his name.

Sackie

Medalist
Pairs and Dance at Nationals are going to be nail biters for sure this year. At least we won't have to worry too much about callers playing favorites like we have seen in some international events.

yesterday

Record Breaker

Yeah sorry for the confusion 😅
ofc if it was the "q" not the "Q" then celebration would have been a bit weird

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In BC Sectionals, Amy Shao Ning Yang won the Senior Ladies competition rather easily. She nailed her two 3S and the 3Lo. But, had troubles with the 3F (she landed this jump in the SP). She won with 149. She is someone who should breeze through the Challenger event, and then fight for spots 10-18 at Nationals. The silver medalist, Emily Millard and bronze medalist, Melody Zhu, both scored 130+. I see them right at the borderline with whether or not they will qualify through the Challenger, based on how they did here. Good luck to them at the Challenger event. They have three weeks to prepare.

I’m looking forward to seeing the Junior event, as Kara Yun, seems to be one of Canada’s top three Junior girls.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In BC Sectionals, Amy Shao Ning Yang won the Senior Ladies competition rather easily. She nailed her two 3S and the 3Lo. But, had troubles with the 3F (she landed this jump in the SP). She won with 149. She is someone who should breeze through the Challenger event, and then fight for spots 10-18 at Nationals. The silver medalist, Emily Millard and bronze medalist, Melody Zhu, both scored 130+. I see them right at the borderline with whether or not they will qualify through the Challenger, based on how they did here. Good luck to them at the Challenger event. They have three weeks to prepare.

I’m looking forward to seeing the Junior event, as Kara Yun, seems to be one of Canada’s top three Junior girls.
I think Emily and Melody can do better than 130... let's see how it goes...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Marjorie & Zach seem to be definitively in the group of teams who can get an 80+ RD score, a big development for them.

Sigh, Roman, but that was entirely predictable.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In BC Sectionals, Kara Yun killed the competition. She is a technical wizard landing triple jump after triple jump. Her TES score was 62, and this is in Juniors! 😳

Her lack of artistry is obvious though. She gets low 40s. I think she reminds me of Mia Kalin in terms of big discrepancy between technical and presentation. She just skates through her program and focuses on triple after triple. She was the only Junior in Canada posting 160+ across all Sectionals. She has done this twice domestically and once internationally. I see her on the podium at both Challenger and Nationals due to this consistency. I just hope she had more of the charm and artistry from the runner up and bronze medalist at this event (who both scored 130+).

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
In BC Sectionals, Kara Yun killed the competition. She is a technical wizard landing triple jump after triple jump. Her TES score was 62, and this is in Juniors! 😳

Her lack of artistry is obvious though. She gets low 40s. I think she reminds me of Mia Kalin in terms of big discrepancy between technical and presentation. She just skates through her program and focuses on triple after triple. She was the only Junior in Canada posting 160+ across all Sectionals. She has done this twice domestically and once internationally. I see her on the podium at both Challenger and Nationals due to this consistency. I just hope she had more of the charm and artistry from the runner up and bronze medalist at this event (who both scored 130+).
She had 58.84 FS TES in the JGP, so for her that seems "doable" although it's still huge.
In that JGP, 8 of the 9 girls finishing ahead of her (FS only) had even bigger TES and the 9th was nearly on par.
The 8 range from 60 to 85. With 62, she would have placed three spots higher (assuming PCS would go along).
So still 6 stronger results.

I was just curious, this is not an official analysis or anything 😅

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She had 58.84 FS TES in the JGP, so for her that seems "doable" although it's still huge.
In that JGP, 8 of the 9 girls finishing ahead of her (FS only) had even bigger TES and the 9th was nearly on par.
The 8 range from 60 to 85. With 62, she would have placed three spots higher (assuming PCS would go along).
So still 6 stronger results.

I was just curious, this is not an official analysis or anything 😅
of course TES is a factor of two things.... BV and GOE. Judges were really harsh on Kaiya this weekend (especially the SP) with GOE.... to the point that she didn't even make the Tech minimums in the SP. This is something Canadian fans have noticed with our young skaters... it takes a whole lot of time for international judges to reward them in both GOEs and PCS... I hope both Kara and Kaiya will be given more and more opportunities to gain the approbation of the judges for their elements... This being said, yes, Kara needs to work on her overall skating.

Ziotic

Medalist
Lia & Trennt will be making their international debut at Golden Spin. Madeline is also going, so that will be great friend support.
I'm so happy they are going out to hopefully get minimums.

I'm surprised they aren't sending Kaiya as well, but I suppose she can get her worlds SP TES at 4CC.

I really can't see them sending anyone other than Maddy, Gabby and Kaiya.

I'm super excited for pairs at Nationals, I also hope they send top two to worlds and 4CC but split the two between 3rd and 4th place as there are so many developing teams that need the exposure.

Weathergal

Medalist
Don Jackson wrote a blog entry for Skate Ontario. Skate Ontario has various skaters do blogs for them; I found this one particularly interesting. Don Jackson blog entry
Thank you so much for sharing that - what an interesting post! I learned a lot as well, including the origin of 6.0. I had no idea that score came from the 6 allowed push-offs in figures! And Don Jackson sounds like a truly lovely person.

Status
Not open for further replies.