2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sackie

Medalist
of course TES is a factor of two things.... BV and GOE. Judges were really harsh on Kaiya this weekend (especially the SP) with GOE.... to the point that she didn't even make the Tech minimums in the SP. This is something Canadian fans have noticed with our young skaters... it takes a whole lot of time for international judges to reward them in both GOEs and PCS... I hope both Kara and Kaiya will be given more and more opportunities to gain the approbation of the judges for their elements... This being said, yes, Kara needs to work on her overall skating.
And the worse is that skaters form other countries can score well on GOE and PCS in their 1st event even with major errors. CAN skaters - especially our women have to skate a clean routine to get even OK GOE and PCS. Maddy is one of those who is still not getting great GOEs or PCS even when she skates a clean routine, while other skaters are scoring close to her with major errors.
But this is nothing new - how long did it take for judges to reward Elvis. And he was only rewarded when he went clean. He lost a world medal one year because he had an error in the short and was binged harder then others.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting dance result in the RD at NHK, though the score is a bit of an outlier for F-B/S until shown otherwise. But it does suggest they're going to be pushing toward the top group of dancers, even if I'm not expecting them to hold their current placement.

Fingers crossed for Brooke & Ben.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interesting dance result in the RD at NHK, though the score is a bit of an outlier for F-B/S until shown otherwise. But it does suggest they're going to be pushing toward the top group of dancers, even if I'm not expecting them to hold their current placement.

Fingers crossed for Brooke & Ben.
it was a tech panel decision. Judges had chock and bates ahead in pcs and it was close in goe... but FBS had higher levels due to a much better pattern type step seq and chock's mistake on the MIStepSeq...

So... IF, and it's a big IF, FBS delivered again, and get a couple points ahead in BV, which is not impossible considering that Chock and Bates are still a bit messy (early season for them compared to FBS who did challengers), then... who knows..

Am I saying it will keep this way? No... but it's not impossible.

Sackie

Medalist
If Brooke and Ben were skating in Finland chances are they would be going to the GPF which would be impressive for their 1st year as seniors. They just ended up with harder events though.
What gets me in the Dance though is that the CANs had to skate clean in order to beat C/B with errors. So it still was closer then it should have been. Any time CAN Dancers have had errors they have gotten binged big time, while others still score well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Anyone willing to bet on if Canada can keep its three pairs spots for 2024?
Deanna & Maxime have the third-best total score of the Grand Prix thus far, while Brooke & Ben have the eighth-best (and only a couple of points removed from sixth-best). I would say it’s reasonable to assume they can manage it.

rain

Record Breaker
I hadn't seen this article linked anywhere around these parts, and wasn't completely sure where to put it, but figured people here would be interested. So for anyone who wondered exactly what the deal with formerly quite celebrated coach Richard Gauthier suddenly and quietly disappearing from the figure skating world was:
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...-mais-n-a-pas-consenti-plaide-la-couronne.php

The gist of it is that Gauthier is accused of sexually abusing a male student in the 1980s. His defence is claiming it was a consensual relationship, as the age of consent at the time in Canada was 14 and there weren't rules about those in positions of authority (age of consent is now 16, and even then if you are a coach, teacher, doctor or someone else in a position of authority over the individual a relationship is a no-go). The judge will rule on the case in January.

The story is from September, so if this has already been posted somewhere I apologize. I hadn't seen it and it was news to me, and the resolution is coming up in a month or so. Rather sickening.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The entry list for the Canadian Challenger event is out:

I’m most looking forward to Senior Pairs (Nicolas Nadeau) and Senior Ladies (Kaiya Ruiter)! 😀
Lia is looking to qualify to Nationals in two events 😳

If anybody knows which athletes are exempt, I think it is the following:

Ice Dance

1) Piper & Paul
2) Laurence & Nikolaj
3) Marjorie & Zachary
4) Carolane & Shane
5) Haley & Nicholas
6) Alicia & Paul

Pairs

1) Deanne & Maxime

Ladies

1) Madeline
2) Gabrielle
3) Alison ??

Men

1) Keegan
2) Roman
3) Stephen
4) Conrad
5) Corey

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I’m most looking forward to Senior Pairs (Nicolas Nadeau) and Senior Ladies (Kaiya Ruiter)! 😀

Ice Dance

1) Piper & Paul
2) Laurence & Nikolaj
3) Marjorie & Zachary
4) Carolane & Shane
5) Haley & Nicholas
6) Alicia & Paul

Pairs

1) Deanne & Maxime

Ladies

1) Madeline
2) Gabrielle
3) Alison ??

Men

1) Keegan
2) Roman
3) Stephen
4) Conrad
What abour Corey? I don't see him on the Challenge entry list.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Ice Dance

1) Piper & Paul
2) Laurence & Nikolaj
3) Marjorie & Zachary
4) Carolane & Shane
5) Haley & Nicholas
6) Alicia & Paul

Pairs

1) Deanne & Maxime

Ladies

1) Madeline
2) Gabrielle
3) Alison ??

Men

1) Keegan
2) Roman
3) Stephen
4) Conrad
alison has withdrawn from everything since the summer.. not sure she would be exempt... unless there is an exemption given to injured athletes... same with miku and tyler... same with matte and ferland... we will just have to see what is up with that.

in pairs, I have the feeling that the teams who did participate in GP (laurin/éthier as well as brooke an ben) are also exempt but chose to compete?? because they are all pretty much new... farand-alteryd probably also have a bye...

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
alison has withdrawn from everything since the summer.. not sure she would be exempt... unless there is an exemption given to injured athletes... same with miku and tyler... same with matte and ferland... we will just have to see what is up with that.

in pairs, I have the feeling that the teams who did participate in GP (laurin/éthier as well as brooke an ben) are also exempt but chose to compete?? because they are all pretty much new... farand-alteryd probably also have a bye...
That is why I’m so confused 🫤
I wish the rules were clearly stated. I think all pairs team advance to Nationals anyways. So, good practice for some of the teams.
By the way, I read that Nadeau and his partner needs to score over 160 at Nationals to be selected for international assignments next year. So, I’m going to be nervous for this team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That is why I’m so confused 🫤
I wish the rules were clearly stated. I think all pairs team advance to Nationals anyways. So, good practice for some of the teams.
By the way, I read that Nadeau and his partner needs to score over 160 at Nationals to be selected for international assignments next year. So, I’m going to be nervous for this team.
well... there is a lot of time until next year :) they probably could get assignments if they do very well in the summer events as well... let's just give them time to develop. They are so promising.

rain

Record Breaker

I seem to recall in previous years hearing about high level athletes who already would have had a bye to nationals competing at challenge, so I think it's their choice. The two young pairs teams you mentioned for sure must have byes (not only participated in the GP, but medalled), as, I expect would the likes of Lauriault/le Gac and Razgulajevs/ Lanaghan.

Will be very curious to see Pereira/Michaud (who looked very promising at their last comp) and Proft/Nadeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.