Status
Not open for further replies.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
nice opening combo !! 3t-2t + 2a
SBS are strong . nice lift too.
These two new pairs are showing lots of promise. I am afraid for Lia's fans as a single woman skater that she will get into pairs seriously with these early successes...
The score is high (we see only half the program) considering it was a double twist and double throw... :)
wow! They were really good. Top 10 potential for Worlds. Canada is solid. Lia should switch to pairs.
Canada looking solid in ice dance and pairs. Wasn’t there also a Russian lady that moved to Canada?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lia Pereira and Trennt Michaud also made their debut as a pair this weekend, at Ontario Sectionals, placing 1st with a score of 188.89 (!)

Here's their Free Skate from the event:

While many were worried about the state of Canadian pairs with all of the retirements and split-ups of established and successful teams, it seems that there might be nothing to worry about after all. With Deanna and Maxime, Emma and Nic, Lia and Trennt and even Brooke and Benjamin, pairs in Canada is definitely looking quite strong.

Nice to see Trennt again. Looking promising!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
P/M

All level 4s except for the twist... i watched the second half... some of the lifts are a bit laboured but they will come

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow! They were really good. Top 10 potential for Worlds. Canada is solid. Lia should switch to pairs.
Canada looking solid in ice dance and pairs. Wasn’t there also a Russian lady that moved to Canada?
yes.. we were talking about her...just a few posts back..., but she wasn't at sectionals...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Figure Skating families
Benjamin Leduc, brother of Alexis Leduc, both skating pairs from Boucherville Clup in QC. Benjamin and partner Beau Callahan won the Novice pairs sectionals... Alexis and partner Martina Ariano Kent won the Juniors, but they were the only team competing.

Seniors are warming up.

Proft- Nadeau will skate first, followed by Carignan-Pierro.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Proft Nadeau started with a strong 2tw4 with good GOE... then 3s-2t-2t... but then both lifts were difficult...
they regrouped (SBS 2Lo, both double throws, a nice final 3group lift level 4.)

So, not a bad outing for a first time. The SP is much better but the LP can get there too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
100... for 156 total..
Nic looks happy and said " we are first" but they skated first ... I think he is just excited to be back on the ice

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Carignan Pierro... just like i was going to say they improved so much on lift... aborted lift... too bad...

SBS jumps lower level... 2a and 2f eu 2s.

They did have triple twist and throws but a fall on the flip and lower quality on twist and salchow.

92.37... = 149...

Nic and Emma win sectionals (only two teams)

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Close competition in pairs. Don’t forget Trent has a lot of experience in pairs, while, Nic is just debuting. So happy for him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Close competition in pairs. Don’t forget Trent has a lot of experience in pairs, while, Nic is just debuting. So happy for him.
yes! I was thinking the same... and Lia did skate pairs when younger. So the learning curve will be slower. For instance, Emma didn't seem super comfortable getting up on a couple lifts... Good thing Nic is super strong .. but I can see how this will improve a lot.

Also, we don't really know how "careful" they have to be with Emma's injury. Are they planning SBS 3loops for instance (it's one of Nic's super nice jumps) and are they already working on the triple throws etc.

Very promising for both pairs. Assuming that Deanna and Max are first, and Brooke and Ben second, there will be a good battle with Matte-Ferland, Laurin-Éthier, and now these two new teams. I think Matte and Ferland are stronger, but they just pulled out of their first GP... so who knows what is going on? (injury ? illness? not ready? )

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, Junior Girls just wrapped up. Aleksa Volkova held on to the gold medal thanks to her SP. She won with 146. I preferred her SP. In her FP, she went for too hard jumps with two triple lutzes and triple flips in her first three jumping passes. In the second half, she landed 3T and 3S. I think she should stick with only one hard jump and then the 3Lo and two 3Ts and 3Ss.

Rose Theroux was horrible here…. She finished in fifth place. Last note, was the girl in 8th place, Julianne Vézina, only skated doubles throughout the competition and managed to qualify to the Challenger event.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And some say, TEAMS events are irrelevant? Just ask my hometown Halifax, Ellie Black, former renowned provincial figure skater, turned World Gymnastics Champion, World Team Bronze and Beam Silver Medalists 2022, how much what she thinks of TEAMS. Her favorite event, BTW. Her reaction, PURE JOY!

bozzy

Spectator
Keeping track of the Top Junior Women's Results at Sectionals so far:

Top 20
  1. Kara Yun BC - 162.02
  2. Angelina Grant AB - 153.78
  3. Lulu Lin ON - 150.13
  4. Megan Woodley ON - 149.59
  5. Aleksa Volkova QC - 146.51
  6. Hetty Shi ON - 143.87
  7. Marie-France D'Amour QC - 140.73
  8. Angelina YinLin Guan BC - 138.59
  9. Megan Yudin - 135.51
  10. Stavrina Arantis QC - 135.24
  11. Breken Brezden MB - 135.24
  12. Paulina Grant AB - 132.09
  13. Marie-Raphaele Savoie QC - 133.60
  14. Rose Theroux QC - 133.26
  15. Paulina Grant AB - 132.09
  16. Mia Clarke QC - 131.06
  17. Alys Rajotte QC - 128.02
  18. Kayla Halliday AB - 127.71
  19. Tian Qing ON - 123.26
  20. Abby Bouma ON - 123.07

***Note that judging from each section varies

https://mbskates.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2023JrSrSeJuniorWomenShortProgramCR.pdf
www.skatinginbc.com/sites/default/files/results/23secjuniorwomencr.pdf

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Lia Pereira and Trennt Michaud also made their debut as a pair this weekend, at Ontario Sectionals, placing 1st with a score of 188.89 (!)

Here's their Free Skate from the event:

While many were worried about the state of Canadian pairs with all of the retirements and split-ups of established and successful teams, it seems that there might be nothing to worry about after all. With Deanna and Maxime, Emma and Nic, Lia and Trennt and even Brooke and Benjamin, pairs in Canada is definitely looking quite strong.

whew!
As I like PotC I'm all in for the second part here. The first might also be music form the part/film where they are in China, but I didn't recognise.
Is Lia a bit shorter than Evelyn?

yesterday

Record Breaker
The second half is in the next tweet, I wasn't able to find it (or the Short) uploaded in one piece anywhere else yet.

And yes, I agree that the score is a bit high (as they only did a 2LoTh and 2STh, though the twist was called as a triple), but the SBS and lifts really helped bolster their score, though the PCS also seem to be quite generous.
The lifts are ofc stable but seem slow to me? Rotation wise?

yesterday

Record Breaker
100... for 156 total..
Nic looks happy and said " we are first" but they skated first ... I think he is just excited to be back on the ice
Reminds me of Roman's "I got a Q!" at Montpellier - celebrate what you get :biggrin: and why not

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Keeping track of the Top Junior Women's Results at Sectionals so far:

Top 20
  1. Angelina Grant AB - 153.78
  2. Lulu Lin ON - 150.13
  3. Megan Woodley ON - 149.59
  4. Aleksa Volkova QC - 146.51
  5. Hetty Shi ON - 143.87
  6. Marie-France D'Amour QC - 140.73
  7. Stavrina Arantis QC - 135.24
  8. Breken Brezden MB - 135.24
  9. Paulina Grant AB - 132.09
  10. Marie-Raphaele Savoie QC - 133.60
  11. Rose Theroux QC - 133.26
  12. Paulina Grant AB - 132.09
  13. Mia Clarke QC - 131.06
  14. Alys Rajotte QC - 128.02
  15. Kayla Halliday AB - 127.71
  16. Tian Qing ON - 123.26
  17. Abby Bouma ON - 123.07
  18. Reese Rose ON - 121.93
  19. Lara Zeldovich ON - 119.97
  20. Julianne Vezina QC - 118.98

***Note that judging from each section varies

https://mbskates.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2023JrSrSeJuniorWomenShortProgramCR.pdf
Wow, it seems that a lot of these skaters have been consistent when comparing them to the summer events. It's a shame that there's only one chance to get the CMS and rank high enough to qualify for skate Canada challenge (ontario skaters specifically)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Reminds me of Roman's "I got a Q!" at Montpellier - celebrate what you get :biggrin: and why not
well i would think that switching disciplines then overcoming injuries to compete at your first event is a good reason to celebrate... perhaps a bit more than getting a Q instead of a < :)

Status
Not open for further replies.