2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I seem to recall in previous years hearing about high level athletes who already would have had a bye to nationals competing at challenge, so I think it's their choice. The two young pairs teams you mentioned for sure must have byes (not only participated in the GP, but medalled), as, I expect would the likes of Lauriault/le Gac and Razgulajevs/ Lanaghan.

Will be very curious to see Pereira/Michaud (who looked very promising at their last comp) and Proft/Nadeau.
yup... that's what i think too... but i am careful with wording ;) because I haven't never read the rules officially :)

Weathergal

Medalist
The entry list for the Canadian Challenger event is out:

I’m most looking forward to Senior Pairs (Nicolas Nadeau) and Senior Ladies (Kaiya Ruiter)! 😀
Lia is looking to qualify to Nationals in two events 😳

If anybody knows which athletes are exempt, I think it is the following:

Ice Dance

1) Piper & Paul
2) Laurence & Nikolaj
3) Marjorie & Zachary
4) Carolane & Shane
5) Haley & Nicholas
6) Alicia & Paul

Pairs

1) Deanne & Maxime

Ladies

1) Madeline
2) Gabrielle
3) Alison ??

Men

1) Keegan
2) Roman
3) Stephen
4) Conrad
5) Corey
Would Lariault / LeGac also have a bye?

Also Lanahan / Razgulajevs?

Ziotic

Medalist
If Trennt and Lia get their minimums at Golden Spins I really hope she drops singles skating. When you arecompeting at the senior level internationally you really need to focus on where you are going to have the best opportunity and lets face it, in singles none of our ladies are winning medals in their current condition. It would, quite frankly be a waste of her time and an even bigger waste of Trennts.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here is a link to the Skate Canada bye rule:

So from this

top 3 at senior national get byes
JGPF competitors get byes
Seniors with GP events or competition within 7 days from challenge get byes
and there are some exceptional medical byes.

So we could still see Alison (i guess medical bye)... as she was top 3 last year..

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Trennt and Lia get their minimums at Golden Spins I really hope she drops singles skating. When you arecompeting at the senior level internationally you really need to focus on where you are going to have the best opportunity and lets face it, in singles none of our ladies are winning medals in their current condition. It would, quite frankly be a waste of her time and an even bigger waste of Trennts.
So, Lia and Trennt are probably going to withdraw at this Challenge event to compete at Golden Spin. It does look like she is focused in Pairs. In Pairs, she has potential to get minimums and place top 3 at Nationals, and compete at Worlds. However, Lia is also registered in Senior Ladies and showed much promise earlier this year, winning Cranberry Juniors scoring 169. Does she get a bye to Nationals for singles since she is competing at Golden Spin and does that 7 day rule apply, if she is in another discipline? She was our top performing Junior at Junior Worlds and thanks to her, Canada has two spots at Junior Worlds.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
alison has withdrawn from everything since the summer.. not sure she would be exempt... unless there is an exemption given to injured athletes... same with miku and tyler... same with matte and ferland... we will just have to see what is up with that.

in pairs, I have the feeling that the teams who did participate in GP (laurin/éthier as well as brooke an ben) are also exempt but chose to compete?? because they are all pretty much new... farand-alteryd probably also have a bye...
Alison competed at Cranberry this Summer in August alongside Amanda Tobin. She finished in 7th place.
She withdrew from Skate Canada and I never found out why 🫤

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So from this

So we could still see Alison... as she was top 3 last year...
I think Alison finished in 5th place last year at Nationals 🫣🤗

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Alison finished in 5th place last year at Nationals 🫣🤗
really? oups.. my bad.. i assumed so since she was on the national team. in any case, whether we see her or not... we will find out at nationals.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So from this

So we could still see Alison (i guess medical bye)... as she was top 3 last year..
So this should be a list of byes:

Dance
  • Gilles/Poirier (1st at Nats)
  • Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen (2nd at Nats)
  • Lajoie/Lagha (3rd at Nats)
  • Soucisse/Firus (GP)
  • Lauriault/Le Gac (GP)
  • Sales/Wamsteeker (GP)
  • Lanaghan/Razgulajevs (GP)
  • Fabbri/Ayer (GP)
  • Bashynska/Beaumont (JGPF) - bye to the Junior event*
Makita/Gunara might also get a bye. The exact wording for the GP bye is "Those who have been assigned by the ISU Grand Prix selection group (or by Skate Canada in the case of home entries to Skate Canada International) to a Senior Grand Prix". M/G were assigned, even though they had to WD.

Pairs
  • Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps (3rd at Nats)
  • McIntosh/Mimar (GP) (edit: fixed)
  • Laurin/Ethier (GP)
  • Pereira/Michaud (Golden Spin)
  • Panetta/Thrasher (JGPF) - bye to the Junior event*
  • Kemp/Elizarov (JGPF) - bye to the Junior event*
Matte/Ferland might qualify for a bye for the same reason M/G might, since they were assigned to the Grand Prix. Of course, we do't know if they'd even be healthy to compete even if they do get a bye.

*I'm not sure from the bye wording if the JGPF can be used for a bye to seniors, but I think the teams involved will skate junior.

Men
  • Keegan Messing (1st at Nats)
  • Roman Sadovsky (2nd at Nats)
  • Wesley Chiu (3rd at Nats)
  • Conrad Orzel (GP)
  • Stephen Gogolev (GP)
  • Corey Circelli (GP)
Women
  • Madeline Schizas (1st at Nats)
  • Gabrielle Daleman (3rd at Nats)
Veronik Mallet would also qualify, but I don't think she's competing anymore.
Edit: Alison Schumacher would be the same case as M/G and M/F

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist

Dance
  • Soucisse/Firus (GP)
  • Lauriault/Le Gac (GP)
  • Sales/Wamsteeker (GP)
  • Fabbri/Ayer (GP)
Makita/Gunara might also get a bye. The exact wording for the GP bye is "Those who have been assigned by the ISU Grand Prix selection group (or by Skate Canada in the case of home entries to Skate Canada International) to a Senior Grand Prix". M/G were assigned, even though they had to WD.

Pairs
  • McIntosh/Michaud (GP)
  • Laurin/Ethier (GP)
Matte/Ferland might qualify for a bye for the same reason M/G might, since they were assigned to the Grand Prix. Of course, we do't know if they'd even be healthy to compete even if they do get a bye.

*I'm not sure from the bye wording if the JGPF can be used for a bye to seniors, but I think the teams involved will skate junior.

Men
  • Conrad Orzel (GP)
  • Stephen Gogolev (GP)
  • Corey Circelli (GP)
Women
For the second pair, do you mean McIntosh/ Mimar?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Dance
  • Soucisse/Firus (GP)
  • Lauriault/Le Gac (GP)
  • Sales/Wamsteeker (GP)
  • Fabbri/Ayer (GP)

Pairs
  • McIntosh/Michaud (GP)
  • Laurin/Ethier (GP)

Men
  • Conrad Orzel (GP)
  • Stephen Gogolev (GP)
  • Corey Circelli (GP)
Women
and I guess Alison would qualify since she was assigned to a GP... but is she healthy? Same mystery as Matte-Ferland.

For me, the biggest but not necessarily the most important question mark would be Farand-Alteryd then.

Coming back to women, Veronik is VERY retired at this point. We will miss her fabulous skating skills and gigantic 2a. Considering Michelle Long is also gone, it's kind of strange to imagine the final flight at this point... However, it will be exciting with the up and coming talent !

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
@SnowWhite yes 👏 thanks for for efforts…. Your list is what I’ll use next week to figure out who has byes, etc, so I can figure out who makes Nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.