Legacy 7, CA, CA Lite? Blade advice needed! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Legacy 7, CA, CA Lite? Blade advice needed!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I can't really say any more than I've said in my reply above (#96).

Bearing in mind the difficulties in obtaining stock at the moment, I'm not surprised to see skaters being over- and under-booted all over the place, but you also have to take into consideration how some of those skaters have represented their skating abilities and performance. I can tell you for a fact that most of the people I see being ridiculously over-booted are in that situation because they want those particular boots and will do pretty much anything to get them, despite a much lower level boot being a much better idea. One particular young lady managed to "get fitted" with Ice Fly when she could barely manage a waltz jump and swiftly progressed to Piano whilst still battling single rotation jumps. There's not much a skate shop can do about that if the skater doesn't tell them the whole truth and/or is absolutely determined on buying their "dream boot/blade".

The "you can't over-boot in Edea" thing is a fantastic marketing gimmick but also a complete lie. You absolutely can and people absolutely do, usually to the detriment of their skating, even if they are unable to see or recognise it. :wink:

Vladik

On the Ice
That’s a relief! I know what I want in a boot, so I’m sure it’ll go okay.

Do you know why they’d try me in a boot like Jackson Elite and Royal Prime? It stumped me alongside a few other people in this thread. Maybe, like you said, it’s to try get a feel for the fit. I’m not sure.

I don’t want to be overbooted or underbooted. It seems to be a common problem for a lot of people at my rink. My friends just been fitted by some guy at our rink, and he’s recommended her Piano, Concerto or Ice Fly alongside a pair of CA Lites. She’s in Skate UK 7 and 14 years old. I dread saying anything to her. But then again, there’s that whole, “You can’t overboot in Edea”, which I’m not sure if there is any truth to. Also just met a girl who started skating the same time as me, is working at a lower level than me (she’s learning 3 turns and backwards crossovers), and just got put into Risport Royal Prime and CA Lite by Everglides. :scratch2:

And don’t let IceRabbit see your comment!!! I’ve been leaning towards Legacy 7 recently, despite being advised otherwise. It is not my first choice, but the probable 20 week wait for CA is too much for me. It’d be nice to get something on the day, (she confirmed for me they will DEFINITELY have a Legacy 7 on the day for me). I understand waiting periods are important though. I don’t even know anymore.
I have narrow heels and ankles and was told not to consider Risport Royal Pros as they have roomier heels than the RF3s. Shame as they have very nice padding. RF3s in a B width were wider in the heel and rest of the foot, than Jackson Debut in R width for me. Usually stocked widths in the UK are C width for Risport and W for for Jackson.
I think I have relatively narrow heels, but wouldn’t say I have really narrow ankles! I’ll try them either way, but thank you!

Edit: Don’t know why that replied to my other comment too, ignore that!

Vladik

On the Ice
I can't really say any more than I've said in my reply above (#96).

Bearing in mind the difficulties in obtaining stock at the moment, I'm not surprised to see skaters being over- and under-booted all over the place, but you also have to take into consideration how some of those skaters have represented their skating abilities and performance. I can tell you for a fact that most of the people I see being ridiculously over-booted are in that situation because they want those particular boots and will do pretty much anything to get them, despite a much lower level boot being a much better idea. One particular young lady managed to "get fitted" with Ice Fly when she could barely manage a waltz jump and swiftly progressed to Piano whilst still battling single rotation jumps. There's not much a skate shop can do about that if the skater doesn't tell them the whole truth and/or is absolutely determined on buying their "dream boot/blade".

The "you can't over-boot in Edea" thing is a fantastic marketing gimmick but also a complete lie. You absolutely can and people absolutely do, usually to the detriment of their skating, even if they are unable to see or recognise it. :wink:
Thank you! I see overbooting so often. A girl in my old level 4 class (learning things such as forward slaloms, and forward edges) had Pianos!!!
Crazy stuff.

I’m also worried of underbooting too. A bit nervous for my appointment with Everglides. :(

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’m in Sheffield! Was hoping I’d get a shorter waiting time but it doesn’t seem likely.

I’ve messaged Al’s Skate Shop to ask if they have any CA in stock. They told me they have a few sizes. Issue is, I’ve got no clue what size I’ll need right now, so planning ahead it’s tough. Everglides told me the wait will be about 20 weeks, which I’m not willing to wait. Any other options here? Anywhere else that may perhaps have them? Edit: Al’s Skate Shop just confirmed that the wait could be 20 weeks!
Sorry, since I'm in the US, I'm not familiar with UK retailers. But here are the possible scenarios.

* If you luck out, Everglides will just happen to have a CA in your size. I certainly hope you do. :pray:

* If you don't luck out, and you want to get blades mounted there at the same time, looks like the Legacy 7 is your only option. And it is a viable option, just not the best option under normal circumstances. But these are not normal circumstances. Refer back to my list of preferences in Reply #29. I'll agree with WM in that it's still a lot better blade than what you've got now. And by all means don't feel like you're being forced into buying a piece of junk. It's not.

* If you don't luck out, and are willing to get blades later, then, since you will have the boots in hand and will know what size blade you need, you can:

(a) Contact other suppliers in the UK and see if they have CA in the size you need; if you luck out, buy it and get it mounted locally.

If (a) fails, you have a choice of:

(b) Order a Paramount CA in the size you need {BUT, as I mentioned before, do your homework now with regard to whether a UK shop (such as Everglides or Als) will order it, UK pricing, and your sharpener's capability] and get it mounted locally.

OR

(c) Go to the skate shop closer to you, buy a Legacy 7, and have it mounted.

[I'm not suggesting hunting up an Eclipse Aurora here because it's highly unlikely that a UK retailer will have one in your size in stock; but that's yet another option.]

* What I would not do is wait around 5 months for a CA. When waiting times are that far out, I have low confidence that I would get them even then.

* What I would not do is hunt for a CA outside the UK. Suppliers typically post the following caution for sales outside their country: "We are not responsible for customs charges imposed by your home country." You don't want any surprises. [Unless someone here is familiar with UK customs charges and can advise otherwise.]

The choice is yours to make. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have narrow heels and ankles and was told not to consider Risport Royal Pros as they have roomier heels than the RF3s. Shame as they have very nice padding. RF3s in a B width were wider in the heel and rest of the foot, than Jackson Debut in R width for me. Usually stocked widths in the UK are C width for Risport and W for for Jackson.
You can get split width Risports, you know, most of their boots. Many skaters (myself included) need split width boots for the same reason as you.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I never said that Legacy 7 is the worst blade you could ever wear, I just said they weren't ideal, and flat for someone who isn't at a level where they can adjust to a rocker of that nature for their spins, and that a less flat rocker would be more helpful. I never ever forced anyone to wear a particular blade, just suggested best choices.

As far as an above comment by WM, I am not surprised that a senior skater was fine spinning etc in them like it was nothing, they're senior and adapt to things better lol.

Myself and my specific expertise will now leave this thread. Good luck OP.

Vladik

On the Ice
Sorry, since I'm in the US, I'm not familiar with UK retailers. But here are the possible scenarios.

* If you luck out, Everglides will just happen to have a CA in your size. I certainly hope you do. :pray:

* If you don't luck out, and you want to get blades mounted there at the same time, looks like the Legacy 7 is your only option. And it is a viable option, just not the best option under normal circumstances. But these are not normal circumstances. Refer back to my list of preferences in Reply #29. I'll agree with WM in that it's still a lot better blade than what you've got now. And by all means don't feel like you're being forced into buying a piece of junk. It's not.

* If you don't luck out, and are willing to get blades later, then, since you will have the boots in hand and will know what size blade you need, you can:

(a) Contact other suppliers in the UK and see if they have CA in the size you need; if you luck out, buy it and get it mounted locally.

(b) Order a Paramount CA in the size you need {BUT, as I mentioned before, do your homework now with regard to whether a UK shop (such as Everglides or Als) will order it, UK pricing, and your sharpener's capability] and get it mounted locally.

OR

[I'm not suggesting hunting up an Eclipse Aurora here because it's highly unlikely that a UK retailer will have one in your size in stock; but that's yet another option.]

* What I would not do is wait around 5 months for a CA. When waiting times are that far out, I have low confidence that I would get them even then.

* What I would not do is hunt for a CA outside the UK. Suppliers typically post the following caution for sales outside their country: "We are not responsible for customs charges imposed by your home country." You don't want any surprises. [Unless someone here is familiar with UK customs charges and can advise otherwise.]

Thank you! IceRabbit will absolutely kill me for this, but the Legacy 7’s are a likely option here. As much as I would rather have the CA’s, and I understand the consequences and flaws that come alongside the Legacy 7’s, a 20 week wait is just out the question for me.

If both Everglides and Al’s don’t have my size in the CA, I might just go with the Legacy. They’re better than my current blades. :(

Vladik

On the Ice
I never said that Legacy 7 is the worst blade you could ever wear, I just said they weren't ideal, and flat for someone who isn't at a level where they can adjust to a rocker of that nature for their spins, and that a less flat rocker would be more helpful. I never ever forced anyone to wear a particular blade, just suggested best choices.

As far as an above comment by WM, I am not surprised that a senior skater was fine spinning etc in them like it was nothing, they're senior and adapt to things better lol.

Myself and my specific expertise will now leave this thread. Good luck OP.
Thank you so much! I was spinning today (on my crappy Edea Rotation Blades), and managed to do some good spins, which used to be rare for me. So even with a crappy rocker, I seem to be able to spin pretty well, it’s just taken me a while to get into the swing of it.

CA are of course my first choice and I don’t doubt anything you say! Thank you so much. Don’t know what I’d do without you! You’re on every thread I post!! :laugh::thank:

Lucie

Rinkside
Thank you! IceRabbit will absolutely kill me for this, but the Legacy 7’s are a likely option here. As much as I would rather have the CA’s, and I understand the consequences and flaws that come alongside the Legacy 7’s, a 20 week wait is just out the question for me.

If both Everglides and Al’s don’t have my size in the CA, I might just go with the Legacy. They’re better than my current blades. :(
Have a Google of what skate shops there are in the UK who list the CA on their website and email or call to ask if they or their suppliers have it in stock in the possible sizes you might need - have a look at a blade size chart and ask for the size recommended for your size plus a size smaller and larger. There might be someone out there who has something in stock, this has worked for me.

Last edited:

Friday

Rinkside
I’m in Sheffield! Was hoping I’d get a shorter waiting time but it doesn’t seem likely.

I’ve messaged Al’s Skate Shop to ask if they have any CA in stock. They told me they have a few sizes. Issue is, I’ve got no clue what size I’ll need right now, so planning ahead it’s tough. Everglides told me the wait will be about 20 weeks, which I’m not willing to wait. Any other options here? Anywhere else that may perhaps have them? Edit: Al’s Skate Shop just confirmed that the wait could be 20 weeks!
Of course you know approximately what blade size you need, you said yourself that you possibly might go with a boot in 235 (not Edea, but either Jackson or Risport), but most likely will end up in 240. Or 245, which is unlikely.
That is for 235 a blade in size 8.5 or 8.75 (not really sure) and for 240 a blade in size 9. That leaves you with the possible blade sizes of 8.5 - 9.25. So you can ask all the shops you know of for their stock in that particular size range.

Friday

Rinkside

OR

When I bought my CA from Al's and got them shipped to Germany, I had to pay a fee and taxes that were about 50 € in total. I doubt it would be more than that for the UK too. I know that normaly you have to pay an import duty of 20% of the total worth of the package in your country's currency (including packaging cost and delivering fees) in the UK. I don't know if skating equipment has a lower import duty, but I doubt it.

While it is not great to import stuff, in my case it was justified (at least for me, my parents thought otherwise), because I know that my feet will not grow anymore and that I will most likely never need a higher level blade. Or a Edea boot. So it was either buying a bit more now and needing to change my blades some years down the road, or buying Aspire XP and needing to change them in 1-2 years to a CA. And frankly, I didn't want to buy blades twice... :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

No I won't.

Lucie

Rinkside
I know Everglides and their staff and have never seen them have a customer try a boot without also taking out the insole to see the foot on it. Never. It is important to remember, however, that their fittings depend massively on feedback from the person being fitted. They can only work with what that person tells them. You have to be absolutely honest and very, very details and picky. This is easier when you have been skating for decades and know exactly what you like and need, but you have to really concentrate and mention any niggles, however slight.
How strange then that they did not do this with me, or with the other girls who came in for fittings while I was there.
It’s certainly important for a fitter to listen to their clients feedback (I have to say i don’t feel I was listened to when I said the Edeas felt tight in the toes). I would have thought based on all I have read from all the knowledgeable people on this forum that a good fitter has more to work with than that, such as their observation of foot shape, their skill in tracing and measuring and their product knowledge. If their fittings do indeed vary massively based on how their clients give feedback this implies there is something amiss with their fitting process. When I went they didn’t do tracings or measure foot circumference
Al took a proper look at my feet and said Edeas were not right for me and I was fitted in a size too small even if they had been right for my feet.
It’s difficult of course when a boot can be comfortable in the shop but give you unexpected problems on the ice, this is perhaps where giving detailed feedback could mitigate problems.

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside

So these guys are very good and their website is actually accurate as to what they have in stock, I have bought stuff from them before including blades. I’ve actually just received a pair of size 10” CAs from them for my Jacksons (Al doesn’t have any in 10h. And they look like they have Coro Aces in stock in all the potential sizes you might need - ie 8 3/4, 9, 9 1/4 & 9 1/2 (240 in Risport takes a 9 or 9 1/4, if you’re 240 in Risport you’re possibly a 5.5 or 6 in Jackson which takes a 9 1/4 or 9 1/2)
They’re also great at answering your emails if you want to double check stock, but I’ve never known them to list something as in stock that isn’t, although occasionally they have something showing as out of stock which they have actually just received stock for

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside

OR

Never seen a Paramount or an Eclipse this side of the pond, in the wild or otherwise! They’re aren’t any UK shops which stock them just from a quick google. I think you’d have to import them/ buy them from a US store and the import tax would make it impractical. An American rink mate got fitted stateside in Jackson Synergy - also not available in the UK- but she’s paired them with JWs. I don’t think most shops here would be willing to order them in either although if anyone would it would be Al

As in my post above there are still some UK shops which have Coro aces in stock if you hunt around

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
Have a Google of what skate shops there are in the UK who list the CA on their website and email or call to ask if they or their suppliers have it in stock in the possible sizes you might need - have a look at a blade size chart and ask for the size recommended for your size plus a size smaller and larger. There might be someone out there who has something in stock, this has worked for me.
Thank you so much! Will do that today!

Vladik

On the Ice
Of course you know approximately what blade size you need, you said yourself that you possibly might go with a boot in 235 (not Edea, but either Jackson or Risport), but most likely will end up in 240. Or 245, which is unlikely.
That is for 235 a blade in size 8.5 or 8.75 (not really sure) and for 240 a blade in size 9. That leaves you with the possible blade sizes of 8.5 - 9.25. So you can ask all the shops you know of for their stock in that particular size range.
Will do that today, thank you so much!
Don’t think they’ll push me up to a 245, but its always possible.

Vladik

On the Ice
How strange then that they did not do this with me, or with the other girls who came in for fittings while I was there.
It’s certainly important for a fitter to listen to their clients feedback (I have to say i don’t feel I was listened to when I said the Edeas felt tight in the toes). I would have thought based on all I have read from all the knowledgeable people on this forum that a good fitter has more to work with than that, such as their observation of foot shape, their skill in tracing and measuring and their product knowledge. If their fittings do indeed vary massively based on how their clients give feedback this implies there is something amiss with their fitting process. When I went they didn’t do tracings or measure foot circumference
Al took a proper look at my feet and said Edeas were not right for me and I was fitted in a size too small even if they had been right for my feet.
It’s difficult of course when a boot can be comfortable in the shop but give you unexpected problems on the ice, this is perhaps where giving detailed feedback could mitigate problems.
That’s very strange! I’ve already had an online appointment so have already traced and measured my feet, as well as taken photos of me stood on my insoles, so not sure if they’ll be doing that again in person.

I’ve got a lot of boots to try on so that could take up the whole 2 hours.

Vladik

On the Ice
So these guys are very good and their website is actually accurate as to what they have in stock, I have bought stuff from them before including blades. I’ve actually just received a pair of size 10” CAs from them for my Jacksons (Al doesn’t have any in 10h. And they look like they have Coro Aces in stock in all the potential sizes you might need - ie 8 3/4, 9, 9 1/4 & 9 1/2 (240 in Risport takes a 9 or 9 1/4, if you’re 240 in Risport you’re possibly a 5.5 or 6 in Jackson which takes a 9 1/4 or 9 1/2)
They’re also great at answering your emails if you want to double check stock, but I’ve never known them to list something as in stock that isn’t, although occasionally they have something showing as out of stock which they have actually just received stock for
I’ll shoot them an email now! Thank you so much!