6. Step Sequence 4
  7. Combination Spin 4

TES: 60.20
PCS: 43.86
Deductions: 0.00

Total Segment Score: 104.06

icewhite

Record Breaker
I'm not gonna get excited about Yuma v. Ilia 2026 Olympic matchup I'm not gonna get excited about Yuma v. Ilia 2026 Olympic matchup I'm not gonna get excited about Yuma v. Ilia 2026 Olympic matchup but oh that could be soooo goood.

I much prefer Yuma, but let's be honest, Yuma has got nothing against this effortlessness of the most extreme jumps.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just going to say what everyone else said: Ilia really has put work into his choreo. Even more importantly, he looks like he might actually be enjoying himself, rather than how fast can I get this done so I can do a really cool jump?

Well done.

Overall, over the moon for Kévin, though. I didn't like this SP for him before, but he sold it like the rent was due. And if Kévin knows how to do anything, it's sell a program. :)

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Standings after Men's SP
🇺🇸 Ilia Malinin - 104.06
🇫🇷Kevin Aymoz - 97.34
🇯🇵Shun Sato - 91.61
🇯🇵Nozomu Yoshioka - 87.44
🇬🇪Nika Egadze - 85.76
6. 🇱🇻
Deniss Vasiljevs - 75.84
🇨🇦 Stephen Gogolev - 74.73
8. 🇦🇿
Vladimir Litvintsev - 74.61
9. 🇯🇵
Tatsuya Tusboi - 72.57
10. 🇺🇸
Maxim Naumov - 70.73
🇺🇸Andrew Torgashev - 68.71
🇸🇪 Andreas Nordeback - 66.28

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just my two cents….

The Europeans have too high world standing due to numerous events held in Europe. Is the Swede kid really final flight calibre at GP events?

Stephen - Not a bad skate from him. Lovely 4T 3T. Had he nailed the 3A, he would have been in the final group. I’m hoping he holds on to a top 8 placement. But, it will be tough.

I love Andrew T. ❤️
I would give him the highest PCS scores
I prefer his skating skills over Jason Brown 😳
But, his jumps are so wonky and inconsistent
Also, I enjoyed Naumov

Ilia - what a star. Even with no 4A allowed or quad quad combos, he is so confident with his 4T and 4Lz. It will be interesting to watch what jumps he will attempt for the free skate. I’m especially interested in the combos. I hope he does one conbo, in the first half and then two in the 2nd half. When you leave the three combos as the last three jumping elements, you have to nail all of them.
Also, loved his red costume and he is starting to develop a connection to the audience similar to what Nathan Chen used to do. I’m still furious he wasn’t selected to the Olympics team.
Ilia can shock with a 300+ score tmrw. Only Shoma has surpassed this score, so far. Loving the top men contenders this year.

Kevin - I really thought he would struggle here with 70-80 score. He was perfect and showed why he is the 4th best skater in the world. He deserved his PCS score and I have a feeling he can hold on to the silver medal position now. I didn’t think he would do so well. 50/50 chance with securing a silver medal. Wow!

Sato - solid. One of 5 Japanese skaters fighting for two spots, behind Shoma. The second best finisher in GP series, often is secured with a spot. So, he will have to do his best to try to pass Kevin tmrw. The Japanese men are equivalent to the Russian women, in terms of competition. They keep pushing each other to higher limits.

I think those three are the podium finishers…. 95% confident in this.

I enjoyed this event. I’m looking forward to this event, the most tmrw.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh gosh, I'm sorry for Deniss. He struggles to land quads, and then, his 3-axel was off too, but he was rewarded for his artistry. I'm so glad that Aymoz and Malinin brought their A games. Yoshioka I'm not that familiar with. Shun Sato has a lot of tech talent, but not great artistry. He gets by on presentation due to the help he receives with choreography and music selection. I thought Egadze might do well, since he scored well in a recent competition. Sad for Naumov, who has struggled with injury and he had surgery recently. It was even felt at some point that his career might be over due to his injuries, I heard.

That reminds me of a recent video I saw of skater, David Shapiro, who has a ballet background. He was a U.S. skater competing in juniors. He is in college now, and he skates in shows, but his injuries and surgery led to him being unable to jump triples again. But boy, is he an exquisite artist. ✨️ Look for videos of Shapiro on YouTube. Same for Emmanuel Savary, another magnificent artist who doesn't compete anymore but can bring the house down in local skating shows.

I point these guys out just for perspective on the fact that a competitive career in figure skating is extremely difficult. Everyone doesn't make it, but that doesn't have to mean they have nothing to offer as skaters. Some of these guys should look into other avenues, such as figure and fancy skating (check TSL's recent interviews about this with Debi Thomas and Shepherd Clark); plus solo ice dance, or skating on a college team, are other options. If a skater is lucky, they can sometimes get offers with SOI and AOI shows (e.g. Shawn Sawyer, and others who carve out show careers after not having stellar competitive careers which truly isn't an accurate measure of their talent).

Another U.S. skater who has yet to truly break out competitively, is Tomoki Hiwatashi. If he never does, all is not lost. As for Andrew, if he can manage his nerves, he still has time, but there are also other fulfilling life options too. Plus, Andrew is a very talented painter, which not a lot of people know. 🫶

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@RatedPG, if you only see Andrew when he's not at his best, then you have no way of knowing how good he is, or what he's capable of doing. He has skated lights out at U.S. Nationals, with exciting programs that included beautiful quads and triple axels.

Yes, Andrew is inconsistent, likely due mostly to nerves and trying too hard to fulfill high expectations. At the end of the day, it is what it is, but when skaters do not skate well, that's not always a true indication of their talent.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just discovered that Kevin's last name is pronounced, 'Aye-moz,' not 'Ay-moz,' as in 'hay.' Or was the announcer at SA wrong? 🤔