2023 Skate America Men's Short Program | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Men's Short Program

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The Europeans have too high world standing due to numerous events held in Europe. Is the Swede kid really final flight calibre at GP events?
Nordeback has recently come up from juniors. He started out extremely well, but ran into problems he was unable to overcome. That does not mean he doesn't have huge talent or that he can't put everything altogether. He has skated well in juniors. But yeah, guess what? Figure skating is an extremely difficult sport to master. Obviously, it's not news I'm imparting in that prior sentence, for sure.

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am so thrilled for Ilia! He was magnificent. Watched it on E! and I liked the commentary. You can see he connects with the crowd more, has improved his artistry, as others have said and seems like he's having fun. Love that raspberry twist.

Good luck to him in the free skate.

Congrats to Kevin and Shun as well for their SP.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wait, who said it's "Aye-moz?"
The announcer! Even at practices!? And then they said for the skaters to speak to the announcer after practice if their name pronunciations were wrong. LOL. I'm willing to bet that both Aymoz and Nagy blew off telling them anything about how to correctly pronounce their names. Like, if you don't know by now, okay. 🤷🏽‍♀️

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The announcer! Even at practices!? And then they said for the skaters to speak to the announcer after practice if their name pronunciations were wrong. LOL. I'm willing to bet that both Aymoz and Nagy blew off telling them anything about how to correctly pronounce their names. Like, if you don't know by now, okay. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Someone must have corrected the announcer for Vasiljevs, because the announcer was fairly okay during the broadcast, but Deniss' last name had been butchered in practices. Deniss did a double take, and made a funny face when it happened in the practice yesterday.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am so thrilled for Ilia! He was magnificent. Watched it on E! and I liked the commentary. You can see he connects with the crowd more, has improved his artistry, as others have said and seems like he's having fun.

Good luck to him in the free skate.

Congrats to Kevin and Shun as well for their SP.
Who were the announcers on E?

VickB

On the Ice
Just my two cents….

The Europeans have too high world standing due to numerous events held in Europe. Is the Swede kid really final flight calibre at GP events?

Stephen - Not a bad skate from him. Lovely 4T 3T. Had he nailed the 3A, he would have been in the final group. I’m hoping he holds on to a top 8 placement. But, it will be tough.

I find it he had lowest GOE mark of the ones who landed 4T 3T
and also skating skills , maybe intentionally undermarked by 5 points.. .

Vick

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I find it he had lowest GOE mark of the ones who landed 4T 3T
and also skating skills , maybe intentionally undermarked by 5 points.. .

Vick
Eh, Nordeback is seen as a newbie by judges, and he IS new to seniors, so when he makes mistakes, he will pay heavily. Plus for sure, he can work on SS and polish. But I enjoy his quirky takes and his unique music choices. I loved his Johnny Cash program in juniors.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just going to say what everyone else said: Ilia really has put work into his choreo. Even more importantly, he looks like he might actually be enjoying himself, rather than how fast can I get this done so I can do a really cool jump?

Well done.

Overall, over the moon for Kévin, though. I didn't like this SP for him before, but he sold it like the rent was due. And if Kévin knows how to do anything, it's sell a program. :)
LOL! Indeed! "Kevin sold it like the rent was due." 😆 And he paid it in full too. 👏🏽 🤑

It's good to witness Kevin and Ilia in great form. I'm happy for Ilia receiving so much wonderful guidance and for being humble enough to listen and to apply himself. What a pleasure to watch him grow.

Kevin Aymoz can sell me a broken down bridge any day of the week, and I'd buy it, with a generous tip. 🥰 Thankfully, Kevin only has glorious and magnificent bridges to sell, particularly when he's healthy and in-the-zone. ❤️‍🔥

noskates

Record Breaker
LOVED Ilia's program and was thrilled that Kevin put down such a good program. But TARA drove me crazy with her constant yammering. She kept harping on the 4A. Enough already. Was disappointed in Torgashev and Naumov. Seems like they're just taking up space. Deniss looks so much better without that hair flying around his face but still can't skate a clean program. Other than the top 4 it was just a splat fest. I guess that's because it's early in the season? I hope that's the reason anyway. Very interesting choices of new music.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That has to be the worst version of Sound of Silence I have heard. Muted. (I'm not fond of the song anyway, even the other version skaters seem to use so much)

Good attack, Gogo. So many years later, I still can't get over your growth spurt.
It was a terrible version I must agree.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was under the impression that this could not be watched after the broadcast, but it is still available to watch. Will watch it later :). Do you know how if it will be removed later? Have some work to do now at the morning local time but hope it won't be removed too quickly, if it will. It is not geoblocked here. :)