2023 Skate America Women's Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Women's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gosh, was that the first time Amber Glenn landed 3A in the competition? It looked huge! Sad she spoiled the last half of the program, but also super happy to see Petrokina on the podium. Women's program had some solid performances, but overall, the Japanese and Korean skaters I was expecting to shine skated below their abilities. Which is weird after the JGP. I guess, they also are having a tough time adjusting to the change in the age restrictions rules for seniors? Anyway, Levito was very fun, but snake in short, swan in free... what animal will she chose next, I wonder?

katymay

Medalist
She just looked out of her zone (whatever that might be) in the second half, and considering she frequently and inexplicably doesn't do a third combo, I can't see her thinking on her feet like that. The time off most likely affected her stamina, but with Amber there always seems to be something causing her poor performances. Champions have a mindset unlike non-champions. They know how to get the job done somehow. Amber just seems to sabotage herself all the time. Champion skaters just don't do that. Loved her 3axel, so hopefully that bugaboo is gone now. I really just think she should get her three combos out of the way in the first half. So that's three passes checked off. She is defo not the kind of skater who should save her combos for the second half. I've been a fan of her skating since 2015 when she competed at JrWorlds with Karen Chen, and yet here we are nine seasons later and it's one disappointment after another with her. I prefer her to Bradie, but Bradie has a champion's mindset and I would trust her anyday over Amber at an important event. I was such a big fan of Bobek way back when so I learned my lesson with skaters who are more likely to bomb but give me the "feels". It's too much. Karen Chen was the last of those skaters I mentally invested in, but I quickly learned with her too. I don't think this SA outing has put her in any standing for Worlds to be honest, even if she pulls a miracle at Nationals.
When I watch Amber practice, she rarely does complete run throughs. The Russian and Japanese girls almost always do complete run throughs, with all the jumps, spins, etc. Complete run throughs, day after day, hurt and are difficult, but if you do a program over and over and over again in its entirety, you won't have the issues she had tonight. You can't expect to 'pull it out' if that isn't happening every day, day after day, practice after practice. I think there are skaters who think that in competition they are going to have an extra shot of adrenaline to make it through, but that isn't going to happen unless you and Kamila share a grandfather. Amber has the natural ability-she is a powerful girl-but she seems to only work on pieces and parts of programs.

katymay

Medalist
I’m sorry, Isabeau is just not my cup of tea. Congratulations to her, but my thing is strong powerful women skaters, not delicate flowers.
Just got done with some macaroni and cheese with Cajun sausage and shrimp. It was warm and I’m still cold. Although I did also have a frozen hurricane which may not have helped.
She sure is a lucky girl though. No Russians to compete against.

withwings

On the Ice
How can you be more than sure it is not what she really likes??

The way she performed and expressed herself on ice shows how much she loves doing that style. There's only so much fake-selling one can do if one doesn't like programs like this, especially multiple times over.

And she is an adult woman, I'm sure if she doesn't like what her choreographer gives her, she will speak her mind. And how do we know it's not Loena herself who suggested / requested these programs?
:) more than sure certainly is not the best expression, agree :)
i have read and heard interviews of her, so what i said is based on that information

Loena loves skating very much and she is able to make any program to look at its very best; she simply has this ability to do this

katymay

Medalist
Is it just me or is there a lack of stamina in the competition?
Post Olympic slump in a way-hard to be motivated when it is 3 years until the next Olympics gears up. (Young You). Also the marque Korean and Japanese girls were not here-except for Leona it was a bit of a weak field. Also, when the Russian girls were competing everyone else upped their game, there has been a slide in quality for non-Russians with their exclusion. (In my opinion).

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
My 96 yr. mother watch figure skating this weekend. She was 😊 Amber land her 3A and ☹️she messed up her last Few seconds. She should keep trying and not let her landing it well affect rest of program. Happy the Loena Won and Isabeau came in 2nd and Nina Petrokina 3rd. She i felt Isabella should have got a point higher. We are not judges nor tech panel
Once again congratulations all.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I watch Amber practice, she rarely does complete run throughs. The Russian and Japanese girls almost always do complete run throughs, with all the jumps, spins, etc. Complete run throughs, day after day, hurt and are difficult, but if you do a program over and over and over again in its entirety, you won't have the issues she had tonight. You can't expect to 'pull it out' if that isn't happening every day, day after day, practice after practice. I think there are skaters who think that in competition they are going to have an extra shot of adrenaline to make it through, but that isn't going to happen unless you and Kamila share a grandfather. Amber has the natural ability-she is a powerful girl-but she seems to only work on pieces and parts of programs.
But what we are watching isn’t so much practice as getting used to the rink. Kevin marked all his jumps but didn’t seem to have a stamina problem. If you don’t have stamina by the time you get here you aren’t going to develop it over 2 days of practicing.

Reactions: Myr

withwings

On the Ice
Just saw Leona outside the arena. Said congratulations and she smiled and said thank you. Seemed almost shy.
Loena actually IS a shy person. And humble. She is a complete opposite of what one may think she is after watching her programs.
Loena has this ability to make any choreography to work, to give life to any choreography either she likes it or no. My dream would be for her with Shae-Lynn Bourne but it very unlikely ever will happen.
I believe Shae-Lynn would have given Loena programs she deserves, the programs which showcase a real Loena..

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loena actually IS a shy person. And humble. She is a complete opposite of what one may think she is after watching her programs.
Loena has this ability to make any choreography to work, to give life to any choreography either she likes it or no. My dream would be for her with Shae-Lynn Bourne but it very unlikely ever will happen.
I believe Shae-Lynn would have given Loena programs she deserves, the programs which showcase a real Loena..
She has a lovely smile. I was happy to congratulate her. ❤️

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am not gonna give up on Amber - the season is young and I will keep on willing her on.
Yeah, I wanted to give Amber a hug through the screen. I hope there are people who will reach out to her with some encouragement and advice. She knows it is not the end of the world. She's an experienced skater, and she understands that she is a sensitive and emotional person. So, there are several things about this: She has to have a strategy for how to manage when she lands the 3-axel. It's not a difficult jump for her. The issue has been landing it under pressure and she accomplished that. She should count it as a victory.

At the same time, she needs to assess her situation. It's okay if breaking through never happens. She just has to understand what happened and what she needs to do. Was it as simple as it being too overwhelming with the energy of skating in front of hometown friends, fans, and family? That isn't always going to be the case. Is it a problem with getting so close, and then being afraid of victory? Whatever it is, it will be up to Amber to decide what she wants and how to get there.

I had heard that Amber was going to get backing this season. So I hope U.S. fed continues to support her. But Amber does have to be her own best supporter, and decide if she really wants to break through that she can, and she will. I'm sure crowd noise can be overwhelming, but she has to have a strategy for that.

Probably, the U.S. is hedging their bets by supporting Amber and Isabeau. I personally love Bradie, but it's her physical injuries that have presented challenges for her, and slowed her momentum. NBC commentators are still overly hyping Isabeau. They at least acknowledged that she telegraphs her jumps, but they still made excuses, spinning her faults into some kind of magical appeal. I am personally not won over. Consistency is not everything. The jumps look okay when she's in the air, but I can't get into her skating at this point. It's too one-note for me, and the entry into her jumps is slow and awkward. Maybe it's too difficult for her to be retrained technically. I don't know, but I'm not a huge fan.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love Loena's sp. Her orange dress looks great against her all-over tan. While Loena's fp was okay, the music is less engaging. I don't have a problem with the black costume, but I wish she'd picked different music that builds with a different point of view than just disco party night. It seemed repetitive in its beat, and also not a contrast to the sp. If she's picking Madonna for both programs, with Beyoncé also thrown into the fp, the concept and trajectory should be complimentary to the sp. Or, an evolving continuation. Or, a complete contrast. It's none of those things. It's just noise, as someone said earlier.

The best thing though, is Loena's sparkling energy, and her getting the job done technically. She looks very happy and in good shape. I just wonder if she will be able to keep up this energy level for both programs throughout the entire season? Not to mention carrying forward the chutzpah to flirt with every judging panel. 🤭🫣 Good for her, if she can. The judges certainly rewarded her for performing so well technically, and with great energy and pizzazz. But, IMO, her fp is not quite as effective because the music choice just seems loud and distracting. The fact that she was happy and into it, was the only compelling thing for me. I wish they would rethink the music choices for her fp.

I believe that Starr Andrews' sp choice of Alien Superstar, choreographed by Adam Rippon was inspiring for some other skaters. 😉 Starr was great in her sp debut domestically two weeks ago. When I saw Starr's fp, while I appreciate the Barbara Streisand song lyrics, the melody is too soft, and the music too slow for skating. It's such a switch from Starr's sp. It just doesn't work, IMO, because despite the meaningful lyrics, the music does nothing to help push the program forward. It also has a passage in the lyrics that says, "If I fall [or maybe it's 'if I fail'], that's okay." Umm, no. I really wish Starr would get different music for her fp. We will see her next week at SC.

Last edited:

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
800px-Opuntia_littoralis_var_vaseyi_4.jpg
So mexican I aprove

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they do not know how Estonian flag looks 😭😭😭!!!! I am not surprised because I am from Baltic states; people not always know about the existence of us 😭
I apologize for some of my fellow Americans, those who are ignorant about the rest of the world. I can assure you there are many of us who know and respect the Baltic countries. You have some wonderful skaters and have hosted many events for skaters. Please accept my congratulations for Niina's medal winning skate and health and safety to all of Estonia and the other Baltic states.

If you want, you may adjust your profile to fly your flag on your posts and cheerfully invite us to cheer with you for your skaters - who probably have many fan fans here.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Is it me or did Young You look a little lacking in energy, like she's maybe struggling with her fitness levels a bit?

midori green

On the Ice
Have they explained the flag mix-up? It seems it could've been that someone selected the flags based on the freeskate results unstead of the overall results. Still an unfortunate error, but better than someone confusing the actual flags.

withwings

On the Ice
I apologize for some of my fellow Americans, those who are ignorant about the rest of the world. I can assure you there are many of us who know and respect the Baltic countries. You have some wonderful skaters and have hosted many events for skaters. Please accept my congratulations for Niina's medal winning skate and health and safety to all of Estonia and the other Baltic states.

If you want, you may adjust your profile to fly your flag on your posts and cheerfully invite us to cheer with you for your skaters - who probably have many fan fans here.

I am deeply touched after reading your post and, if honestly, in tears... thank you. Thank you very much.
And thank you for wishing all Baltic countries safety.
I have to admit that it was sort of consolation :console:, that someone kindly provided Nina with Estonian (!!) flag after medal presentation...

We all here- and in all three Baltic countries!- are so happy for Nina winning the first ever GP medal in any discipline.!! And she achieved this after her almost hopeless fight with her illness. Admirable.