2024 World Championships Men's Free Skate | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Men's Free Skate

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What do you say? So incredible.

Congrats to Yuma for toughing it out and performing so incredibly.

Adam hangs on from the first flight.

Shoma smiling cheering on his friends.

What a night.
Warms the heart, it does!

Glad to see Shoma in such good spirits!

Ilia hinting at a QUINT?! They don't even have point values do they?

But wow, how does he do it? His legs must literally be springs!

I'm super happy for Adam :) After such an disaster in SP!

And good for Yuma, after been out for a whole year he's back and on the podium!

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, I have no words. That was an amazing display of Ilia. Knowing of boot problems and injuries, I didn't think he'd be capable of a skate like this here., eventually yes , but here no.

:bow:Amazing skate Ilia - congratulations on an amazing skate and a world championship.

readernick

Medalist
Figure skating is dead, but ice jumping has come to full bloom.

Yes, I'm bitter. It was brilliant jumpwise, but Yuma is a brilliant complete figure skater and watching Ilia's step sequence after his is painful.
I mean, no, it's not. Watch any performance from men in the early 2000s and the winners were less artistic than Ilya. Last years podium otho was a triump for artistry. I don't agree with the PCS score that Ilya got. I should be 10 points lower. However, it's a sport and what Ilya did was incredible.

Next year, the podium may swing artistic again. The judges would prefer to give it to a more well-balanced skater. Let's not call the sport dead yet. In fact, we are still in the period were incredibly artistic skaters ended 2-5. And, most of the skaters in the top 10 are very artistic. Figure skating isn't dead. Tech just won over artistry today. Next year, the opposite may be true.

And, I say this as someone who loves Shoma more than any other skater, the results today were correct even if the PCS marks given weren't.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I mean, no, it's not. Watch any performance from men in the early 2000s and the winners were less artistic than Ilya. Last years podium otho was a triump for artistry. I don't agree with the PCS score that Ilya got. I should be 10 points lower. However, it's a sport and what Ilya did was incredible.

Next year, the podium may swing artistic again. The judges would prefer to give it to a more well-balanced skater. Let's not call the sport dead yet. In fact, we are still in the period were incredibly artistic skaters ended 2-5. And, most of the skaters in the top 10 are very artistic. Figure skating isn't dead. Tech just won over artistry today. Next year, the opposite may be true.

And, I say this as someone who loves Shoma more than any other skater, the results today were correct even if the PCS marks given weren't.
The same figure skating is dead arguments were made when Nathan won in 2019 and yet here we are still alive with men's skating going strong.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like Isabeau, Madison, Evan, Ilia, and Jason are seriously clutch. What an incredible 24 hours for the Americans.
And so many dislike them for it...I'm out of here now. I had to leave the dance forum early as well. Could not even celebrate my dancers winning who I have watched since they were in their teens.

icewhite

Record Breaker

The thing is that with the current judging system there is no way a "PCS skater" - which i don't consider art and not less sportive than jumps - can win against something like this. And it's not just Ilia - we saw Dikidzhi land the 4A with some ease as well. Dikidzhi might be banned forever, but I think if we already got two able to do these jumps we will see more of these skaters, and in comparison the meager points from everything else are just unable to make a difference.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice

Agree completely. So many rose tinted glasses in FS.

When I go back to watch old competitions (No... just watching the one or two amazing standouts doesn't count) there was so little spark in skaters during certain eras. The artistry today put them to shame.

Not to mention that the screaming rabid criers on the issue 90% of the time refuse to recognize ANY artistry besides that of their favs.

Delusional complainers stay delusional.