Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I know legal age for drinking is 21 in US. Don't know anything else. Teen pregnancy is a big problem here.

I think the age of consent is generally 18 but there is noone to prosecute when both partners are underage. However, a 19 year old may get a criminal record for having sex with a slightly younger girlfriend.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
^^^Wondering why some sexier skaters like Joubert didn't get such treatment??:unsure:
Joubert was once asked in an interview what was the strangest present he'd received, and he replied "underwear". Asked why this was strange, he explained that it was women's underwear so he couldn't wear it... :laugh:

As for Patrick - clearly he's moving up in the world :biggrin:

ciocio

On the Ice
Your point seemed to be men today aren't artistic whereas men from the Yagudin/Plushenko era were. I'd say rolling on the ice doesn't count, and Plushenko's so called artistry has been used by ISU as training material for what not to do in PCS, which led to RUS's protest in 2009-10 when he briefly came back. So much for your example of superior artistry, which btw, is not a criterion today in skating anyhow.

No, they used his 2006 Olympic performance as an example of badly constructed program. As far as I know 2006is not Yagudin/Plushenko era.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Joubert was once asked in an interview what was the strangest present he'd received, and he replied "underwear". Asked why this was strange, he explained that it was women's underwear so he couldn't wear it... :laugh:

What? He would appreciate some man's underwear and socks? :biggrin:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Oh, I've heard Alexei Yagudin got some pretty, er, interesting things back in the day....

As for Patrick - clearly he's moving up in the world :biggrin:

So it looks like Patrick Love has climbed to a new level!;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So it looks like Patrick Love has climbed to a new level!;)

I think women notice he has grown up.

I remember after the 2010 Olympics, I came across a forum discussion of sexy male Asian winter Olympians, by a bunch of Korean women I believe. Ohno and J R Celski were hot while some expressed feeling like a pedaphile to include Patrick. They were comforted with "Patrick is 19 and safe to admire for ladies of all ages". :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I have seen Joubert in a mall next to Tallin arena and behind him a flock of girls :p and I believe I ve seen Smirnov and Tomas receiving some naughty gifts of fans in euros 2010 in the hotel. And I know people were chasing Solcovy all over the lobby. And I ve seen a youtube vid of some girls screaming over a red thing, i think in Korea, and the title was Plushenko pants but I didnt know what to think of it..

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have seen Joubert in a mall next to Tallin arena and behind him a flock of girls :p and I believe I ve seen Smirnov and Tomas receiving some naughty gifts of fans in euros 2010 in the hotel. And I know people were chasing Solcovy all over the lobby. And I ve seen a youtube vid of some girls screaming over a red thing, i think in Korea, and the title was Plushenko pants but I didnt know what to think of it..

Shamefully, I was among a mob of slavering fangirls mobbing Daisuke Takahashi after a competition once :) It was totally worth it though.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Vote for Patrick Chan as Canada's Athlete Of The Year.

Eric Lamaze and Hickstead are running away with the title in early voting. I must admit I'm torn myself as well, especially since I'm shocked and saddened that the great Hickstead just died suddenly this past Sunday. However, with all the sentiments going for the team of Lamaze/Hickstead, Patrick Chan, Canada's own record smashing Figure Skating World Champion, needs our votes all the more, as per his Twitter request.

Shamefully, I was among a mob of slavering fangirls mobbing Daisuke Takahashi after a competition once :) It was totally worth it though.

Good for you! If I'd been there, I'd have participated just as actively. For Daisuke or Kurt I doubt I'd be able to pretend to any dignity at all.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Vote for Patrick Chan as Canada's Athlete Of The Year.

Eric Lamaze and Hickstead are running away with the title in early voting. I must admit I'm torn myself as well, especially since I'm shocked and saddened that the great Hickstead just died suddenly this past Sunday. However, with all the sentiments going for the team of Lamaze/Hickstead, Patrick Chan, Canada's own record smashing Figure Skating World Champion, needs our votes all the more, as per his Twitter request.

I dont follow Equestrian much anymore. What have Lamaze and the sadly late Hickstead achieved in the last year. I wouldnt vote either way until I am sure which is more deserving.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan trapped between two worlds

Chinese TV broadcast an interview with Patrick a couple of days ago. I've been hoping for online videos as the previous ones done in Hongkong was really good and in depth.

Many children of immigrants, after trying very hard to belong to the main stream peers as children, identify and seek ties with their original heritage as they reach young adulthood, a rather natural path of personal growth. Patrick probably feels particularly very grateful and obliged to his parents and the Chinese community in Canada for so many years of support without which he couldn't have achieved what he has. Also he must feel that the Chinese Canadians are especially proud of him more than the general public. He means more to them.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Next week, Lou Marsh Award for Canada's Athlete of the Year will be decided:

http://thestar.blogs.com/olympics/2011/12/chan-should-be-the-man-for-2011-lou-marsh-award.html

Every one would be a worthy choice.

But if I had a vote – and I don’t – I would give it to world champion figure skater Patrick Chan.

Considering the quad is a big part of this equation, here’s my four reasons:

1) He dominated his sport more than any other Canadian. As one wag wrote of his world title win in Moscow – okay it was me – “The big Harry Potter devotee made the rest of the field look like muggles in winning by more than 22 points - the figure skating equivalent of four touchdowns.” He set three world records and even got himself in the Guinness Book of World Records.

2) He walked the talk. He went in saying he wanted to dominate his sport a la Roger Federer and Tiger Woods – and he did just that.

3) He not only learned the most difficult jump in his sport, the quad, he became a master at it.

4) He showed immense maturity in coming back from a disappointing Vancouver Olympics – where he thought he already knew it all – and committed himself to the hard work of becoming a real champion.

Hey, the other athletes all have similar great qualities and accomplishments, too, but it’s Chan’s ability to crush the field at his biggest event of his season that should make him the first male figure skater to win the Lou Marsh since friend Kurt Browing managed the feat in 1990.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Chan trapped between two worlds

Chinese TV broadcast an interview with Patrick a couple of days ago. I've been hoping for online videos as the previous ones done in Hongkong was really good and in depth.

Many children of immigrants, after trying very hard to belong to the main stream peers as children, identify and seek ties with their original heritage as they reach young adulthood, a rather natural path of personal growth. Patrick probably feels particularly very grateful and obliged to his parents and the Chinese community in Canada for so many years of support without which he couldn't have achieved what he has. Also he must feel that the Chinese Canadians are especially proud of him more than the general public. He means more to them.

I am not sure however that Chan's character would fit well with the way China trains its athletes. For one thing, he is prone to speak his mind, which may make him come across as disobedient and rebellious in the eyes of many. Also, the reason why Chinese skating hasn't produced any other significant star since Lu Chen is their overemphasis on jumps but not the areas that Patrick Chan excels. In that sense, I think Patrick Chan is who he is today because he benefited from the best of both worlds. His personality and character is unquestionably Canadian and he is proud of the fact that he speaks good French which few people outside of Quebec can. Beyond his physical appearance, there is nothing Chinese about him saving the frugality he displayed re: the bus episode at the LA Worlds.

One way or the other, it's unfortunate figure skating isn't what it used to be in North America. However, I think the Browning vs. Stojoko era was quite unique in that it is rare to see two close rivals coming from the same country. Rivalry draws people, whether it's Kerrigan vs. Harding or Ito vs. Yamaguchi or for that matter, Kwan vs. Lipinski. If Chan has a close rival at home who is also world podium contender, I think it's possible there would be greater interest on the sport. The Men's event is still the most watched category in Canada, that tradition has not changed but it can't be a one man show.

skateflower

Match Penalty
One way or the other, it's unfortunate figure skating isn't what it used to be in North America. However, I think the Browning vs. Stojoko era was quite unique in that it is rare to see two close rivals coming from the same country. Rivalry draws people, whether it's Kerrigan vs. Harding or Ito vs. Yamaguchi or for that matter, Kwan vs. Lipinski. If Chan has a close rival at home who is also world podium contender, I think it's possible there would be greater interest on the sport. The Men's event is still the most watched category in Canada, that tradition has not changed but it can't be a one man show.

We still have DL arguing FS is still wildly popular in Canada, CoP is just wonderful despite the fact that Chan, the world champion could barely squeeze out enough money to fund his training.

If this is not 'burying your head in the sand', I don't know what is...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
We still have DL arguing FS is still wildly popular in Canada, CoP is just wonderful despite the fact that Chan, the world champion could barely squeeze out enough money to fund his training.

If this is not 'burying your head in the sand', I don't know what is...

If this is not an illogical leap into justifying one's own point of view, I don't know what is.

ETA; Article with some response from Skate Canada

Last edited: