2013 Worlds - Free Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Free Dance

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Read in a Boston Globe article this morning that Meryl Davis is dyslexic and has no depth perception. Didn't know that. She doesn't like to talk about it and that's probably why it is news to a lot of us.
Link? That's interesting.

missysays

On the Ice
I'd look for them to retire before switching. Tessa's health/injury problems combined with a changing of the guard (permanent or temporary... who knows?) and a whole lot of money to be made elsewhere... why continue the grind?

They certainly have nothing to prove.

I agree that probably makes more sense. They seem better suited for professional skating opportunities than Meryl and Charlie anyway.

To me, Meryl and Charlie always seemed more like a Michelle Kwan type of skater- someone who is more of a competitor and less of of a show performer. I bet that's why D/W would rather keep competing until they're well and truly ready to walk away from skating all together. I bet when they retire they won't go into show skating but back to school.

Whereas with V/M I could see them skating in shows for awhile before stopping all together.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did the French just get bumped to only 2 teams next year? Didn't get a good look at placements.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Anna and Luca lost a bronze by one point... and I think they were underscored, actually (but I don't know much about ice dance, so I'm not going to complain). Chock/Bates ended 6th. Shpilband REALLY did a good job for both his teams.

The only thing I will say about C/L vs B/S is that it is ridiculous that the judges marked B/S higher in skating skills. Overall I think the result was mostly fair, but I do think, were it my choice, C/L should have narrowly had the bronze. Still love B/S though and very very happy for them

flaneur

On the Ice
Congrats to D/W for a well deserved gold. And also to V/M for an innovative program for silver :)

P/B had a lot of iffy moments. Although it was amazing that he was able to come back so quickly from injury. On a shallow note, the two of them are definitely the most objectively good looking people in figure skating.

I actually really like B/S program (although CL were better today). Congrats on the bronze :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree with the placement (especially PB that low). Technically CL were better, but the choreo and BS programs are just stunning, CL were too ordinary in comparison with the top 3 innovative routines.

Yes you are probably right. C&L have the technical ability to win a World medal now but now they need better programs to make it happen.

Meh, Cappellini/LaNotte were robbed, IMO. They were very strong in both programs.

B/S deservedly won the SD but I thought C/L were much better in the FD.

Oh well, not like the judges would ever let that happen. ;)

And B/S also skated well in the FD so not going to complain much.

So I don't understand Ice Dancing much.. what is lacking in Shibutanis skating?

Great elements and not much else. I don't think Zoueva has any clue what to do with them.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
B/S have improved but the French team and W/P getting hurt really put them behind the other teams and they didn't have time to catch up. I don't see B/S hanging onto 3rd place next season.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hmm, it looks like Marlie still got +2's and +3's on their twizzles. The slip must not have been as severe as it looked in slow motion.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Owhh Robin Cousins was just saying if Coomes & Buckland qualified 2 places mini Buckland & Smart may have got that second Olympic spot! Shame about their mistakes, but I'm sure they'll come back even stronger next season.

Now for the medal ceremony!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
B/S have improved but the French team and W/P getting hurt really put them behind the other teams and they didn't have time to catch up. I don't see B/S hanging onto 3rd place next season.

Olympics are in Russia. I think they are the odds on favorites for the bronze at next years Olympics for sure now. I dont think P&B will be any real threat to them by next year. Being an older team and now with a low Worlds results will be the perfect time for the judges to bury them (not that I wish that, just have a feeling that is what will happen). I could see Weaver & Poje challenging them for the bronze at the Games if they have an injury free season, and maybe Capellini & Lanotte if they keep improving.

elif

Medalist
So I don't understand Ice Dancing much.. what is lacking in Shibutanis skating?

They don't have skating skills yet. They needed to skate faster and bigger. I&K's PCS higher because of that. Also they need more dance holds, transitions. But this is next level.

herios

Medalist
Nathalie and Fabian clrearly lacked stamina and the lack of training showed. Transitions were not smooth, and we shouldn't be surprised. I am not. Bad timing of the injury. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Both injured teams did what they could. They just have to put it behind.