Team Event Rosters | Golden Skate

Team Event Rosters

marc2000

Rinkside
So, now that most national events have taken place and Olympic teams are being picked, who will each country choose for their team and which athletes will end up substituting in and out for short and long?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My guess would be:
US - Ladies (Ashley SP and Gracie LP), Men (Jeremy), Pairs (C&S), Dance (D&W, C&B)
Russia - Ladies (Adelina SP and Julia LP), Men (Plushenko), Pairs (B&L SP and V&T LP), Dance (B&S)
Canada - Ladies (Osmond), Men (Chan), Pairs (M-T&M SP and D&R LP), Dance (W&P and V&M)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No way do I see C&B doing a program for the U.S dancers, but we will see. I would guess pairs and ladies split, but Wagner doing the LP and Gold the short. I guess it is possible Abbott and Brown will split, but I think they are more likely to split those other two events (pairs strictly since pairs is up so soon and anyway C&S arent consistent in the LP so will probably just do the short).

Mike Slipchuk has already publicly declared that V&M are doing both dance programs, and Chan and Reynolds are splitting but might chance his mind.

Russia will definitely split ladies and pairs exactly as you said I believe.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't we have a similar thread to this before?

Anyway, for Team USA to have any chance at all, they must blow it out in the dance competition. D/W will skate both.

I also think the pair will skate both, as I really don't think one team will place significantly higher than the other... and neither really need to be "saved" for the individual event, where neither have a realistic chance.

Gold and Wagner will split the women's duties. Abbott and Brown will split the men's.

SuzyP

Spectator
I'm interested in knowing which countries and which skaters are in team events. Is Japan in event? Which USA athletes will compete? They haven't discussed it much at US Nationals. Also Stars on Ice tour website used to have message boards, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Where can I find boards now?

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'm interested in knowing which countries and which skaters are in team events. Is Japan in event? Which USA athletes will compete? They haven't discussed it much at US Nationals. Also Stars on Ice tour website used to have message boards, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Where can I find boards now?

The teams are Canada, the US, Russia, Italy, France, Japan, China, Germany, Ukraine and Great Britain. Skaters for the short program are announced on February 5th, skaters for the long program are announced immediately after the conclusion of the short program (so on February 8th).

Trewyn

Medalist
I hope Ashley gets to skate the LP in the Team Event, so it won't be the first time she skates the 'new' long program in the individual event. I wonder how much pressure will be on the athlete in the Team Event. We've only seen WTT, which was always such a relaxed atmosphere (unless you're Scott Moir). Now that Olympic medals are on the line, I bet things will be a LOT more intense.

enlight78

Medalist
Japan announced it's team roster:

http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140121-1246921.html

Yuzuru Hanyu (SP), Tatsuki Machida (FS)
Mao Asada (SP), Akiko Suzuki (FS)
Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (SP+FS)
Cathy Reed & Chris Reed (SD+FD)

Murakami's chances of olympic medal are gone. Dai needs to kill it at the individual event to get his second medal. If Japan pulls up to bronze the freaking Reeds will be olympic medallists, oh well.

Wow, didn't think Dai would be left off

enlight78

Medalist
This is from BBC Sport http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25306073

National champion Matthew Parr (pictured above) has been chosen by governing body the National Ice Skating Association and the British Olympic Association.

The other GB skaters, who all earned individual qualification alongside a place in the team event, are Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland (ice dance), Stacey Kemp and David King (pairs) and Jenna McCorkell in the women's event.

katymay

Medalist
I would put Gold in for the short program, and Polina in for the long. Polina needs to create some buzz. Also, she is young and skating two longs plus the short probably will not phase her.

cornell08

Final Flight
Wow, didn't think Dai would be left off

I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley gets left off, in similar vein. I feel like her changing her LP only increased the odds.

What disciplines do people think USA is gonna use for the 2 subs? I would go with Ladies and Men.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The japanese rooster posted here was a guess from a news paper and/or Shizuka Arakawas picks, as far as I know. But it looks confirmed with Machida and Hanyu already being in Sochi, while Takahashi seems to be scheduled to arrive on the 10th. Asada will arrive in Sochi on the 5th, so she looks likely to skate the Team SP.

I would imagine that Japan is trying to keep Daisuke from wearing himself out before the individual competition, and besides, they have so many male skaters available that they can spread the possibilities around.

jiggs

On the Ice
Another surprising selection, imo! I was pretty sure they would let Wagner skate the FP, since she just recently switched and it would be good for her to get it out there once before the individual event ...

Trewyn

Medalist
Hmm a little disappointed Ashley won't be able to skate the LP, but otoh relieved that she's at least part of team (and thus has a good shot at an Olympic medal)! There will be a lot of pressure for the SP, both in the Team competition as well as in the individual event so it'll be a good trial run. I hope she does great. I think her SP this season is her best one ever.
She will definitely not be able to do the Opening Ceremony though. The skaters doing the LPs might consider it, though it'll still be a strenuous. Excited Jason is skating the LP! Happy to watch Jeremy in the short and I hope he can deliver the LP of his life in the individual competition.
I find it hard to grasp that the Team competition starts the day after tomorrow. Wow.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Another surprising selection, imo! I was pretty sure they would let Wagner skate the FP, since she just recently switched and it would be good for her to get it out there once before the individual event ...

I love Ashley (and I love her old LP way more than Gracie's) but I'm not sure why the general sentiment is that the team should risk her debuting a recently reworked LP.