Is USA out of team event already? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is USA out of team event already?

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I see why it could be somewhat distracting for some athletes but it could be a good thing for the sport as I think, for instance, in the future we'll see stronger pairs and ice dancers from Japan.

exactly, it'll encourage countries to cultivate depth in their team instead of relying solely one star performer (cough south korea cough)

louisa05

Final Flight
I strongly disagree. I believe this event has brought a new vibe to figure skating events at the Olympics. It's like a preview of whats to come and increases the drama sports like figure skating need to caught more attention from people who don't usually watch skating competitions.

I see why it could be somewhat distracting for some athletes but it could be a good thing for the sport as I think, for instance, in the future we'll see stronger pairs and ice dancers from Japan.

I don't know if it truly will. The fact is that the money and talent has to be there for that to happen. One would think that with this in sight, the U.S. would have invested more in pairs--the weakest of the four disciplines for them throughout recent history--but they haven't. And I don't see that this event existing is going to change that. The musical partners routine will continue to go round and round with no encouragement or incentive from the federation to change it and the discipline will remain our weakest link, team event or no team event.

desertskates

Medalist
Nah, that's too glam for a Pink Floyd program. I think the dress fits the music pretty well. Sexy and a little daring...it's a well packaged program. What I'm interested in seeing is what dress she's going to use for her "Romeo & Delilah" FS. Yellow one again? I thought the dress fit the program pretty well once they toned the color down and it definitely stood out...BUT...new-ish program needs a new dress IMO.

I wonder if anyone else will be changing their SP/FS dresses? I really hope Adelina does...good GOD I want someone to take her and fix her. I love so many things about her BUT she's a tacky mess out there half the time.:unsure: The gloves are horrible on principle but the fact that they don't match her skin tone is ten times worse; her tights are too dark for her skin tone as well; her dresses are usually tacky/unappealing though I do think her newer SP dress is a step up from her previous one. She needs a stylist in the worst way...

She said she'd get a new dress for the frankenprogram. I think a deep emerald green would stand out nicely. No matter what she wears, I just want her to stand up! And on a similar note, I really, really hope Carolina doesn't do the Olympic meltdown thing.
And I do agree on Adelina, I just fear there's not much hope for her fashion sense :/

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think US is still in the game. Though their chance is more tightly bound with Ashley. They certainly cannot afford two bombs in team event.

Essentially, that's what it comes down to. Jeremy's very bad placement put more pressure on everyone else to deliver. They can't afford for D/W not to place 1st or 2nd and Ashley has to deliver to stay in the top 5. There isn't any breathing room for anyone else...

I'm very confident D/W will deliver and I'm semi-confident Ashley will do well enough to stay in the top 5...that's all they need to make it to the FS.

louisa05

Final Flight
I find it hard to believe that no other teams have the potential for bad performances as well. Are Pang/Tong skating the short for China? Based on their own announcement of bad training, that's a risk for China. And as the saying goes, "ice is slippery". I also wonder how Plush will hold up for the free skate.

I agree with whoever said this event would have been better after the individual events, too. It would also have given the federations a better call on who would be ready for it, too.

Welcome to the forum, jcsamex. I have great hopes for the team event, too, going forward.

Last edited:

Ven

Match Penalty
I think in the future it would be a better idea to scrap the team event, but still give team medals. Just go off the scores from the individual competitions. Make sense?

^ That is not possible because the IOC rules forbid it. Every medal has be earned in a competition specific for that medal.

I like the team event!

I do, too. It starts the Olympics off with a bang. I mean a pre-bang. For television viewers in the United States, the prime time NBC coverage Thursday night where they showed women's slopestyle qualifying :rock: and men and pairs team figure skating :love: provided a great launch.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I think in the future it would be a better idea to scrap the team event, but still give team medals. Just go off the scores from the individual competitions. Make sense?

getting two medals for competing once is kinda dumb

Ven

Match Penalty
getting two medals for competing once is kinda dumb

Well I think the current format is also kinda dumb, because the nations aren't even using their best skaters in many cases. Having Kevin Reynolds skate the LP for Canada, or V/T not skating the LP for Russia, S/S not going for Germany ... it makes the competition a bit illegitimate in my opinion.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Well I think the current format is also kinda dumb, because the nations aren't even using their best skaters in many cases. Having Kevin Reynolds skate the LP for Canada, or V/T not skating the LP for Russia, S/S not going for Germany ... it makes the competition a bit illegitimate in my opinion.

which is why the team event should go after the individual. but we all know the isu and ioc are allergic to anything that makes sense

The skaters aren't used to it yet. As remarked upthread many of them are treating the team thing like a cheesefest. Once it sinks in, and a new generation of Olympic hopefuls comes along, this will become a bigger flag-waving spectacle than the individuals -- just like it has in gymnastics.

Barb

Record Breaker
which is why the team event should go after the individual. but we all know the isu and ioc are allergic to anything that makes sense
But the individual event is the most important, so for example Patrick win gold medal indiv, so he goes to team event and skate terrible and Yuzu skate great, usually people remember only the last event, they will say "Patrick is not good, it was a fluke, Yuzu should to win the OG", you know, because of that the olympic winner skaters don´t like to go to Worlds, they want to stay in people´s minds like the winners.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The skaters aren't used to it yet. As remarked upthread many of them are treating the team thing like a cheesefest. Once it sinks in, and a new generation of Olympic hopefuls comes along, this will become a bigger flag-waving spectacle than the individuals -- just like it has in gymnastics.

I'm sure at one time people were saying the same things about Ice Dance when it was introduced back in 1976. :)

But now the USFSA, I'm sure is thrilled since it's the discipline with the best medal (gold) prospect!

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
But the individual event is the most important, so for example Patrick win gold medal indiv, so he goes to team event and skate terrible and Yuzu skate great, usually people remember only the last event, they will say "Patrick is not good, it was a fluke, Yuzu should to win the OG", you know, because of that the olympic winner skaters don´t like to go to Worlds, they want to stay in people´s minds like the winners.

the team event going before the individual will result in the same doubts, though. how do you know yuzuru isn't going to bomb in the individual after skating fantastictally yesterday? it's all about consistency

Icey

Record Breaker
Anybody know what the ratings for NBC were for the night the team event was shown?