2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Savchenko wants to continue for 4 years with a new partner?!

Via Süddeutsche.de via Google Translate:

Savchenko wants despite the odds once again to take the four-year ordeal in itself - a big risk, because good pair of runners are not on the market. In addition, it will be difficult to find such a balanced counterpart, which can handle every day with the power of Savchenko and control.

The article also say she wants to compete at Worlds, though Szolkowy still needs to be persuaded.

Also, about the Russian hosts:

Savchenko also complained about the unfair means of the host: "It was brutally hard, the Russians were unfair to us." As the only team the Russians would have had their own cabin during warm-up had been refused her last seconds entering the ice. "They wanted to make me nervous."

I'm not quite sure, what the Russian exactly did... Anyone can explain?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
:rofl: coming from someone who said S/S would win OGM and Osmond would crush the russians
D/R lack S/S, no chemistry she skates like a stiffboard, and with their ugly lines they will never be a top skater, even S/K are better than them
I'd take MT/M are more promising than D/R

This is ridiculous I have never even suggested, hinted, illuded or remotely pointed at Osmond crushing the Russians. She is still developing as a skater as far as i can see. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but please don't attack someone personally and get your facts straight. Stop being a bully. Oh sorry I just had to say it.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

The article also say she wants to compete at Worlds, though Szolkowy still needs to be persuaded.

S/S were just on german TV and Aliona seemed very surprised when the host told her about these rumours. She honestly didn't seem to know what the host was talking about, so this is obviously made up.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
S/S were just on german TV and Aliona seemed very surprised when the host told her about these rumours. She honestly didn't seem to know what the host was talking about, so this is obviously made up.

Okay, just saw this article tweeted a couple of times - I was surprised too about the content. Glad to have it cleared up.

Can anyone find an article with quotes, where they confirm their retirement after Olys?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
yep B/S got a cold and muted response
while W/P got a standing ovation, :rolleye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBCDFrP84Y

Watch for yourself. I would say muted, yes, but hostile? Give me a break. The word that comes to mind is "paranoid," and I'm not talking about the response at Worlds.

ETA: One thing none of you mentioned is that it is a difficult program. It's the very opposite of sunny or sexy or romantic. And I think part of the response--or lack thereof--is due to that. For the record, I loved it--I think it's the best thing B/S have done by a country mile.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I find this very confusing, because it is sueddeutsche, a well known german newspaper. The quotes come from dpd which is germanys main news agency - normally you can trust them with these kind of news! But Aliona really seemed surprised by the suggestion.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
I find this very confusing, because it is sueddeutsche, a well known german newspaper. The quotes come from dpd which is germanys main news agency - normally you can trust them with these kind of news! But Aliona really seemed surprised by the suggestion.

This.

If it were Bild, I'd roll my eyes and call BS. But Sueddeutsche Zeitung normally does have a good rep.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feeling crushed for Aliona & Robin :cry: I hope they do compete @ Worlds. Kudos to both USA teams! :love: I wish Kirsten & Dylan made the podium with their brilliant free skate. Still :love: Pang & Tong!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
There's a verse by Canadian songwriter Leonard Cohen that I keep on my fridge to remind me of an aspect of life that can also have great beauty. I think it applies here.

Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything;
That's how the light gets in.

That's really beautiful. What song is that from?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't want to insult you but is this a joke? What people call trolling? Or is this serious????

Calm down skater boy, I'm just being funny ;)

But then again, you know it COULD happen, I remember after worlds When everyone said the only medal for Russia would be in Pairs,
And i said, Guys, Olympics are in russia, By then they'll compete for Ladies, ice dance and Pairs Bronze, And never rule out Plushenko,
People also called me a Troll you know...

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

If they'd go to Worlds i hope they get their 5th !! :) That would be a crazy number.

And she does look like you have'nt seen the last of her yet,
Hope she doesn't end with a third bronze though, I'd die...

bsfan

On the Ice
Yes the over the top Russian hating on this forum is disgusting, and I am not even a big fan of most of the current top Russians. I have found myself putting people in line when it comes to V&T all year and this despite not even being a V&T fan. Yet here we are and V&T still dont have a single controversial big event (Worlds, Olympics, GPF, Europeans) medal, and S&S have about a handful atleast now. Meanwhile the ONLY close decisions ever between them- 2011 GPF, 2012 Worlds, both which V&T "arguably" (note I say arguably, not certain) should have won, both went to S&S. V&T only won by large margins over S&S, usually with S&S making big mistakes and V&T being virtually perfect, yet V&T are the judges pets to some, ROTFL!

It is obvious there is some xenophobia against the Russians, there is no explanations for such extreme and shameful hating to one country. To question some scores is fine, but the never ending Russian smear campaign has gotten way out of hand. People are even basing their Russian hating on things they presume (mostly with no basis) could happen like V&M skating well and still losing the dance silver (ridiculous, would never happen), Julia or Adelina beating a clean Kim (again ridiculous, would never happen), V&T winning even had they had 3 falls and S&S gone clean (again would never have happened), and presenting these things which never happened and wil never happen as some type of unofficial fact.

Atleast this time most people seem to see the truth on this occasion, that it is the much beloved S&S and not the evil Russians who got the gift on this day, although a few usual suspects still cant refrain from the typical Russian this and Russian that BS.

One thing is for sure, all the Russians in history can never rival the amount of overscoring and gifted victories of some others out there today (eg- Chan).

Well said.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I got nothing against the russian or the final medal order. The russians deserved to go 1st and 2nd, but the score that they are getting, especially even with double footing the jump. I mean is the program really that good to deserved 77+ PCS? They have great moments in the program. but its very cautious compare to the silver medalist program who sell and skate the light out. This is the problem with the COP, as once you become a judges pet, the +GOE and PCS just keep on coming regardless of doing a super element vs medicore one.

paircheck

Final Flight
Are S/S and V/T going to Worlds? I figured S/K would win Worlds within the next few years, but I didn't realize it might happen in 2014.:laugh:

Aljo mentioned in a press converence today that she wants to go to worlds but she has to motivate Robin, becaus he doesn t know it yet if he wants to go

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I'd like to see S/S go to Worlds just to skate a cleaner long and leave with a better memory than a fall at the Olympics.

Aliona would be 34 at the next Olympics I think? P/T are 34 now and did very well, but I don't know how Aliona would go about getting a new partner unless she switches countries again. I bet she retires instead even if this is what she actually said right now.

If V/T stick around another four years, they'd better up their technical content or they'll never beat their personal best. They've sorta maxed out on PCS and all their current elements. Plus I think they'd have a good throw flip or lutz if they put the effort in.

Kinga

Medalist
No say should S/K have beaten them (P/T) on any component mark. The only two that should be close are TR (neither team has good ones) and CH (both teams did have good CH). IN, PE P/T blow S/K away... and SS P/T should be slightly ahead IMO, though is closer.
The standing is correct but K/S getting higher PCS than S/S and P/T is ridiculous.
Why do people pick on S/K PCS so much? Just because they are relatively 'new' in the top of the field? Their program was great in the PCS department. It conveyed different mood than P/T skate. Just beacause it was not that emotional and touchy it does not mean worse. CH, PE and IN were top notch, equally good as P/T. They were crisp, sharp, fun and they totally sold it. Their PCS were well deserved.

Well the short does count and SS short was really good....how come people always seem to forget that.

...and they came in 4th like they should have so there's no injustice here.
I agree. Though I still think that their programs this year were disappointing. Not very creative as they used to be.

The Germans easily deserved a medal with their SP lead. For P/T to have won bronze, S/S would have needed PCS of 65.29.

P/T lost it on all their SBS jumps... in both programs. No clean SBS jumps and that deserves bronze? :sarcasm:

P/T are a lovely team to watch but it's hilariously biased of you to suggest that S/S were gifted the bronze over P/T, and follow it up with bashing S/S. So typical. :rolleye:
I sort of agree. As much as I love P/T, I do not think that they deserved bronze here.

Jesus Christ Superstar is not so much a program as a series of well performed elements with a bunch of nothing between them. V/T deserved to win, but it saddens me they did it with this program. Maybe they'll stay a couple of seasons longer and actually get some programs worthy of their talent (that being said, this year's short was good).

I could not say it better.

I feel S/K were the stars of the night (clean, intricate skating with a lot of sass), P/T will be remembered and the showdown between S/S & V/T was anticlimax.

S/K were the stars of the night. They were virtually NOBODY before Russian Nationals and now they are Olympic Silver Medalists. And well deserved. For me, at least today they were better than the champions.
:thumbsup::agree:

I am fine with the team event. Nobody is going to value say a Team Gold on par with an individual gold. .
I am fine with that too!! Keep it, so that more skaters will have the chance to medal at the olympics (also those that will never have chance to medal). At the end, it is a team effort. Like a relay. There are better and worse team members, yet, that is the team event characteristic. Would we want the biathlon relay to be scraped off, just there are some 'undeserving' competitors taking part in it? And as you said - yes, team event medal will be less valued in general anyway.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I always wonder how V/T can get so many 10.0 on CH and IN. How is that program even remotely close to an artistic masterpiece? :confused:

Meanwhile, P/T brilliantly choreographed and performed program can't even break 9.0 in CH and IN because a 1A somehow ruins the entire program. I wish judges would stop tying PCS to the tech scores...and get rid of the damn PCS corridor already (like how one judge gave Plushenko 4 for transitions).

Well stated. Very much agree.

Okay had a chance to finally sit down and watch the final four back -to-back.

V/T-- Well congrats to them. No it wasn't the best performance of the season, but it was definitely more than enough to win. 152+ is a bit high, but
S/K -- A well-deserved silver for this team. All their elements were clean and well-executed and I love the personality. It's refreshing to see a Russian team skate to something fun!
S/S -- Well I'm sad for them, obviously. I do think they won the bronze on the quality of elements they did do in the FS and the overall strength of the SP. I do think the PCS mark was high for the overall performance, but overall I still maintain that they were not gifted the bronze.
P/T -- Such a gorgeous and beautiful program. And I think it was a nice end to their 20-year-career. I think if they had skated a cleaner SP perhaps the placement would be more in debate for me.

And of course huge congrats to Team USA on solid placements. I'm hoping we'll be even better in the next quad.

Agree on all counts!

I think every fan of figure skating should ask themselves that, Fans of V\T or not.

A program that has a spin end with 6 seconds of the pair just standing and staring at each other, Only to go into some choreography next, Should not garner 10.0's for ANY of the components,
And that's without approaching the visible mistakes on landings.

I said it in another thread, and I'll try to just say it the one more time -- I don't see why so many find the overscoring to be innocuous, especially if the placements are correct. But to me overscoring sets up the overscored marks as standards to be met or justifications for wuzrobbed claims in future -- well, skater q got 9.9 for the same performance last month, so why not now? robbed robbed robbed! When the problem was the 9.9 was MUCH too generous in the first place. And it places unconscious pressures on any judge to match the marks. It just does. Judges have to justify it when their marks aren't in alignment with other judges, and even if they didn't again it still makes one question one's appraisal and wonder, "what am I missing?" etc., etc.

I haven't had time to read the full thread but I will just leave some thoughts here:

-Heartbroken for Savchenko & Szolkowy. The fought hard and they have the attitude of champions. This is a pair that will always be remembered.
-Same goes with Pang & Tong. Classy pair. Always beautiful to watch.
-Volosozhar & Trankov did win fair and square. Surely wouldn't have scored them with 10.00 in performance/execution but that a was great FS. The amplitude of all of their elements is amazing.
-Stolbova & Klimov skated my fav FS of the evening. The Addams Family soundtrack is lovely and they performed to it and worked with the music building a character. I loved the fact that they attacked all the elements. Great vibe about their skating.

Good points! (I haven't seen MT/M yet so I took that part out, it's not that I'm disagreeing, I just don't know!)

Five judges giving +3 to the 3STh by V/T which had a touchdown with the free foot :eek:

You couldnt even see it except in slow motion. If the judges didnt see that, the rest of the throw was worthy of a +3 in GOE in terms of height, control, flow on landing, position in air and on landing, distance. Especialy with the overly inflated GOE and PCS scale they are using for everyone these days.

Slow motion? Sorry, but no way -- she really kicked the ice up and even I saw it the first time in real time. I had to roll my eyes at the NBC prime time team (Scott and Sandra, I guess) calling it perfect -- I'm like what? she kicked up a lot of "snow" there quite obviously.