2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

yude

Record Breaker
I am kind of settled now, thanks to 6 hours sleep.

Hanyu said in interview, "I was so nervous, I am sorry. I realized that was the Olympic" at very first. Then "I know I have to be happy to win OGM, but I am disappointed"
So, not blame him anymore, he won't be arrogant, and will be working hard next 4 years, at least.
And remember, how many skaters had clean short program? He was one of few.

Thank you very much for the translation and I totally agree with you :thumbsup:

Congratulations to all the medalists :clap: I'm looking forward to the Worlds!!

qwertyskates

Medalist
I'm not sure if it was him being deflated as much as it was struggling to have the energy for the whole thing. HE was breathing HARD when he finished. Kurt Browning remarked that his skating was getting slower in the last 1:30 or so. Hasn't he had major stamina issues (asthma or something?) in the past?

Poor Hanyu, he ought to try the Russian doctor Buteyko's breathing exercises, it cured me of my asthma, no more huffs and puffs and horrible drugs.

Yes, his breathing looked labored. We'll see more of him soon no doubt, gam bate! SP was stunning, I'll try to forget the sloppy LP and the Johnny Weir costume.

I will try to remember Chan the way he threw himself into that first 4-3, and he did have the superior program and SS of the two. However, he is too prone to errors and he is paying for it.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Poor Hanyu, he ought to try the Russian doctor Buteyko's breathing exercises, it cured me of my asthma, no more huffs and puffs and horrible drugs.

Yes, his breathing looked labored. We'll see more of him soon no doubt, gam bate! SP was stunning, I'll try to forget the sloppy LP and the Johnny Weir costume.

I will try to remember Chan the way he threw himself into that first 4-3, and he did have the superior program and SS of the two. However, he is too prone to errors and he is paying for it.

Yes, qwertyskates, that opening combination by Chan was simply breathtaking. and you are so right that his program and SS were superior. I think had inflation not been a buzzword and the judges on notice not to hold him up in PCS, he might still have won tonight. Or if he hadn't marred that last double axel. I'm sad because I truly don't think Hanyu's performance or overall skating are Olympic Gold Medal worthy quite yet.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Yes, qwertyskates, that opening combination by Chan was simply breathtaking. and you are so right that his program and SS were superior. I think had inflation not been a buzzword and the judges on notice not to hold him up in PCS, he might still have won tonight. Or if he hadn't marred that last double axel. I'm sad because I truly don't think Hanyu's performance or overall skating are Olympic Gold Medal worthy quite yet.

The inflation talk no doubt hurts but sadly, Chan stumbled on too many of his jumps to earn the judges' favor and higher PCS. In between those, there were flashes of his skating brilliance that was awe-inspiring, I wish he was rewarded for those! He does deserve the OGM, but so does Hanyu when he skated his best technically in other competitions, just not this Olympic FS. They both deserve the gold based on their respective strengths, I wish they both DID, though I favor Chan because he skated for years and years, fought battle after battle to get here, "body" of work and all that. :cry:Hanyu ought to polish his act, better carriage, posture, extensions, edges and deep knees like Chan - I want to see an all-rounded champion in Hanyu, someone who moves like Chan, Brown, Dai in between the big elements.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
The inflation talk no doubt hurts but sadly, Chan stumbled on too many of his jumps to earn the judges' favor and higher PCS. In between those, there were flashes of his skating brilliance that was awe-inspiring. He does deserve the OGM, but so does Hanyu when he skated his best technically in other competitions, just not this Olympic FS. They both deserve the gold based on their respective strengths, I wish they both DID, though I favor Chan because he skated for years and years, fought battle after battle to get here, "body" of work and all that. :cry:Hanyu ought to polish his act, better carriage, posture, extensions, edges and deep knees like Chan - I want to see an all-rounded champion in Hanyu, someone who moves like Chan, Brown, Dai in between the big elements.

Agreed on all counts. I LOVE Hanyu but almost rooted against him to win precisely because I love him and want him to stick around and really improve. He is not an all-around great skater yet. He is not even at the level Kulik was when he won at a young age. Chan's overall skating is the best and some of the best ever.

I too love Dai, Brown, and let me throw in Jeremy Abbott too for their musicality, attention to detail, intricate choreography, and ability to skate with heart and soul.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Agreed on all counts. I LOVE Hanyu but almost rooted against him to win precisely because I love him and want him to stick around and really improve. He is not an all-around great skater yet. He is not even at the level Kulik was when he won at a young age. Chan's overall skating is the best and some of the best ever.

I too love Dai, Brown, and let me throw in Jeremy Abbott too for their musicality, attention to detail, intricate choreography, and ability to skate with heart and soul.

I don't love Hanyu yet, because he is not a fully formed champion skater, imo, same reason I don't love Brown yet, and even Ten, though I like them for their personality, their strengths, their affability. Their skating is still lacking. Ironically, by the time these young skaters develop fully, they're likely to be completely, irreversibly injured!

I don't like Plushenko as a personality but I respect and love him to death as a champion skater and king of the ice, does it even make sense?:laugh:

sgsmozart

Rinkside
This was like the saddest long program competition that I have witnessed. Gone are the days of Todd Eldredge, Alexie Yagudin, Timothy Goebel, Elvis Stoyko and others. Come on guys you can do better with your musical choices.

Compare this Olympic champion with Brian Boitano in 1988. The Code of Points has ruined skating. Gone are beautiful lines, slow movement, and style. All we see are frequently missed or sloppy quads, flailing arms ,poor posture, and continuous weird,ugly spinning positions just to gain points. The choice of music has also been terrible. Skating is ballet on ice, not walking and the music must convey this tension and drama. At the end of the program the audience should be "lifted up" and moved to a kind of "catharsis". This "elevation" leads the crowd to enthusiastic cheering. All this was absent in Sochi. And the costume of the Gold medalist???? It would look better on a 16 year old girl.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They both deserve the gold based on their respective strengths, I wish they both DID, though I favor Chan because he skated for years and years, fought battle after battle to get here, "body" of work and all that. :cry:Hanyu ought to polish his act, better carriage, posture, extensions, edges and deep knees like Chan - I want to see an all-rounded champion in Hanyu, someone who moves like Chan, Brown, Dai in between the big elements.
Yeah I totally agree. I wanted Chan to win because I'm hoping Hanyu becomes a well-rounded skater!

yinup

Spectator
just watch some top skaters. I felt very touched that Takahashi stayed on his feet and delivered a beautiful performance. The others have better strength on jumps, but no one could match Takahashi's expression, line, extension... Takahashi is in a class of his own! However, I don't particularly like Takahashi's LP this year. It lacks "highlight" and is somewhat flat. Lori Nichol is a talented choreographer. I still love the one she did for Michelle Kwan's 1998 SP, which is a signature piece! But, all these years there has been very little change in her choreography, nothing new and creative. And, no matter who the skater is, male or female, the choreography is too similar. It is a pity that Takahashi went to Lori Nichol this year. If it is someone else done for him, the PCS can probably be even higher. It might not change the result, but will leave me a much more unforgettable memory. Anyway, Beatles Medley is already beautiful. My favorite is Takahashi's SP in OLG 2010. Too bad we can't see any more of his new program in the future. I will miss him a lot~~~

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
just watch some top skaters. I felt very touched that Takahashi stayed on his feet and delivered a beautiful performance. The others have better strength on jumps, but no one could match Takahashi's expression, line, extension... Takahashi is in a class of his own! However, I don't particularly like Takahashi's LP this year. It lacks "highlight" and is somewhat flat. Lori Nichol is a talented choreographer. I still love the one she did for Michelle Kwan's 1998 SP, which is a signature piece! But, all these years there has been very little change in her choreography, nothing new and creative. And, no matter who the skater is, male or female, the choreography is too similar. It is a pity that Takahashi went to Lori Nichol this year. If it is someone else done for him, the PCS can probably be even higher. It might not change the result, but will leave me a much more unforgettable memory. Anyway, Beatles Medley is already beautiful. My favorite is Takahashi's SP in OLG 2010. Too bad we can't see any more of his new program in the future. I will miss him a lot~~~

Yes, just imagine how wonderful it would've been to see him go with a Camerlengo piece. I'm not a fan of his subdued programs this year and wish he would've gone out with more spark. But all in all he still was the best for me, even with these programs. Someone mentioned that he was calm a few pages ago. This serene Takahashi was a sight to see. He seemed totally at peace with himself, no regrets and that's all that matters.

About the LP's in general. I think they are another reason why this all fell so short. If I see Yuzuru skate to another Romeo & Juliet once more I'll kill something. I seriously don't like that program. Just imagine the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack program from 2012 here. That would've been a climax, that was fighting Yuzuru at his best and will always be his signature program. All in all this night just made me realize how special 2012 in Nice was, and I am angry at myself that I didn't pay money to see this competition live back then.

I just hope that Yuzuru will reinvent himself, and if that means leaving Orser behind, so be it. Maybe Daisuke can choreograph his programs. ;)

ginal

Rinkside
New here and needed to say some things. Love, love daisuke, will miss him, what an artist. Loved his previous olympics programs more than the beatles one but still his programs are above everyone else’s. When he jumps, he just seems to float into the air. How his component score does not exceed everyone else’s, I do not know. The only other guy I like watching is Jeremy Abbott. His program is so beautiful, so much heart, whatever his nerves and technical problems. I will miss them both.

Between chan and yuzuru, I have not a fan of either really, but Chan has proven himself, elevated the sport, and I cannot discount that. I hope yuzuru is not a flash in the pan and will continue to prove himself. Whatever the Olympics spins out, the names I remember are the skaters with longevity and careers, not the young ones who peak at the right moment and then disappear. Show me the skaters who show up to more than one Olympics and continue to perform day after day, year after year, and who excel. THAT is a career, that is substance. Maybe it is because I am older now but I really appreciate these “older” skaters who are gutsying it out. The young ones, what do they have to fear and lose? They feel they have another opportunity in 4 years, it simply is not the same.

Kevin Reynolds, his hair reminds me of his skating. Jason Brown, I don’t like him, not really sure why. Denis Ten, congrats to him and Frank Carroll.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Yeah I totally agree. I wanted Chan to win because I'm hoping Hanyu becomes a well-rounded skater!

I know most noticed Chan's fumbles, hands down on ice, etc., but there were moments when it was just him skating to the sweeping music, and he was rain, wind, thunder, a blast of cold, winter, just one with the music, creating almost flawless moves across the rink like he trained for most of his life to do, and that sent shivers up my spine.:agree:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Can't really add anything new to what's already been said in the previous 100 pages.

Very disappointing Men's event. You could tell how bad it was by the fact that even Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton both sounded visibly shaken. Browning said on CBC that this was not what he expected to see and that a virus got to all of the men, and Hamilton was almost crying on NBC when he was talking to Sandra Bezic and Tom Hammond.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Very disappointing Men's event. You could tell how bad it was by the fact that even Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton both sounded visibly shaken. Browning said on CBC that this was not what he expected to see and that a virus got to all of the men, and Hamilton was almost crying on NBC when he was talking to Sandra Bezic and Tom Hammond.

Yeah, what was up with Scottie? He looked like he was holding back tears. I mean, ice is slippery, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. That's the nature of sport. Is there a fluff piece on Chan that I didn't see where he just lost a family member or something? Scottie seemed a bit over the top.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
You can't just say "other than the 4S". Fact is, Hanyu was never clean with the LP in these last 5 competitions. Patrick was clean twice. That's why I was, in fact, a bit surprised Patrick fell apart as badly as he did, he had lots of room for error and had skated his LP cleanly at two of the last three competitons. It's a shame.

I was at Canadians last month and Patrick had a couple of mistakes in the LP there, so I wasn't surprised when he made a mistake today, but I just didn't expect he would make so many. Having said that, Chan has struggled with consistency. He did fall about 3 times at Worlds in the LP last year and was lucky to finish 1 point ahead of Denis Ten. In the past his PCS have held him up when he has made mistakes, but this time it wasn't enough.

Too bad that nearly all the guys made major mistakes in the LP. And yes, Abbott should tone down the snarky remarks somewhat. He's been very inconsistent for many years now, so it's not as if this is the only time. Other skaters face pressure too and have performed more consistently. Chan was also a little cocky in his post-LP interviews today too by talking about how many titles he has won and how great he is, but I suppose he was very disappointed.

cheerio2

On the Ice
I can't really figure out why Fernandez didn't rank higher in the long. I briefly looked at the protocols, but it's not totally obvious. I know he Zayaked on something, but still. He did two clean quads, a 3A, and landed most of his triples.