The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 130 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

leafygreens

Final Flight
NBC's post-event commentary is a great example how individuals can/will behave hypocritically when their interest, no matter how petty, is at stake. It's almost like a mirror image of the judging panel at Sochi. Think about how easy judges can be manipulated if individuals are that easy to be deluded or coerced.

Johnny: "Yuna played safe." - WTH? What does that even mean? Did Yuna skip an element that was planned? Did he not know her program beforehand? Did Johnny ever said that Yuna would not win if she had not changed her routine before the whole scandal broke out? Or does Johnny really think it is necessary to blow kisses, to wave hands on the spot, to fist-pump after landing a jump, or to smile like an idiot with a half-open mouth throughout a program in order to win?

I am so sick of this "played it safe" nonsense. It is nothing more than propaganda, not based in any level of reality. This shows how bad of a commentator Johnny is. He didn't have an explanation for the technical content or scores, so he just made up the old excuse dating back to Michelle Kwan that she was "tentative" and "played it safe" to explain how a great skater loses. It is clear that he is not knowledgeable enough to know what else to say.

The scary music in this video turns it into propaganda.

Mute it?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Has it been posted yet? Christina Gao wrote an opinion piece for the Havard Crimson about figure skating judging http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/2/26/on-thin-ice/

This is an interesting statement: "Yuna is definitely one of the best skaters in the world. But she took time off after winning the 2010 Olympics, and only returned to competition in 2013. She is in fact technically weaker than she was four years ago. Adelina and Carolina, on the other hand, both improved dramatically over the course of the past few years. So while I don’t think the final results were fair, I’d hesitate to confirm that Yuna definitely should have come out on top."

Is she suggesting Caro should have won?

millie

Medalist
Has it been posted yet? Christina Gao wrote an opinion piece for the Havard Crimson about figure skating judging http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/2/26/on-thin-ice/

The judging controversy not involved the ladies. According to Finn Petri Kokko, the guy that invented the Finn Step in Dance stated that the Americans W/D timing was off in the Finn Step. He figured that V/M should have been ahead of them . He didn't understand why the judges put D/W ahead of V/M. Go figure.

KKonas

Medalist
The judging controversy not involved the ladies. According to Finn Petri Kokko, the guy that invented the Finn Step in Dance stated that the Americans W/D timing was off in the Finn Step. He figured that V/M should have been ahead of them . He didn't understand why the judges put D/W ahead of V/M. Go figure.

Apparently Kokko did not notice that V&M dropped a Level on the first part of the Finnstep.

millie

Medalist
Apparently Kokko did not notice that V&M dropped a Level on the first part of the Finnstep.

That's what he didn't understand.....the judging of V/M and why they dropped a level on the Finn Step when D/W should have been penalized for their timing being of on their Finn Step.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is an interesting statement: "Yuna is definitely one of the best skaters in the world. But she took time off after winning the 2010 Olympics, and only returned to competition in 2013. She is in fact technically weaker than she was four years ago. Adelina and Carolina, on the other hand, both improved dramatically over the course of the past few years. So while I don’t think the final results were fair, I’d hesitate to confirm that Yuna definitely should have come out on top."

Apparently this lady doesn't know a thing about figure skating except the calendar and isn't interested either :)

What about skaters/former skaters, coaches, and other people in the business? Anything new from them?

Puchi

On the Ice
Apparently this lady doesn't know a thing about figure skating except the calendar and isn't interested either :)

"This lady" (if you are referring to the author of the quote) is Christina Gao. I think she must know a couple of things about figure skating. ;)

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
"This lady" (if you are referring to the author of the quote) is Christina Gao. I think she must know a couple of things about figure skating. ;)

Apparently I only judged from what I read :rolleye:
Then I googled her and realized she actually skates somewhere in America :laugh:
Well, then I would have appreciated to see arguments based on something other than the calendar and providing a deeper insight in what figure skating is about :) Theoretically, there should be some but what's the point if trying to be "understandable for general public" makes her oppinion no different than that of general public?

I rather wish I knew what Sasha Cohen could say about it given that she was obsessed with that component score thing in her day.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

If the person who invented the Finnstep doesn't understand how it was scored, there's something wrong with the judging.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Apparently I only judged from what I read :rolleye:
Then I googled her and realized she actually skates somewhere in America :laugh:
Well, then I would have appreciated to see arguments based on something other than the calendar and providing a deeper insight in what figure skating is about :) Theoretically, there should be some but what's the point if trying to be "understandable for general public" makes her oppinion no different than that of general public?

I rather wish I knew what Sasha Cohen could say about it given that she was obsessed with that component score thing in her day.
I can totally see how this article might come across as one written by someone who does not feel confident or qualified to discuss figure skating. this is a modest attemt at articulating an opinion by a college freshman for a campus paper, and you sense how anxious she was about being fair in her assessment and not making any faux pas by overemphasizing the fact that she is otherwise an elite skater and by resorting to skating jargons. Ironically enough, the end result is that, though she avoided the abstruse terminology of judging criteria, the article seems to repeat the sound bites from the media, sounding overall too diffident, too cautious.

kslr0816

On the Ice
any updates on this?

i find it hard to believe this is the most pressing matter for anyone in europe right now frankly.

JayW

Final Flight
Now according to this IOC-published ladies short recap video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnXfkZln-Gk&feature=youtu.be), Yuna's hardest jump in her short was a tripe lutz-double toe loop combination, which of course makes it seem like all the other ladies (Gold, Kostner, Lipniskaia and Sotnikova) did harder tricks......Anyone else bothered by that?

Interesting, according to this video:
1) Yuna did a triple lutz - double toe loop combination.
2) Carolina did a triple toe loop - triple toe loop combination.

IOC indeed is amateur by nature!

Npmonice

Rinkside
Now according to this IOC-published ladies short recap video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnXfkZln-Gk&feature=youtu.be), Yuna's hardest jump in her short was a tripe lutz-double toe loop combination, which of course makes it seem like all the other ladies (Gold, Kostner, Lipniskaia and Sotnikova) did harder tricks......Anyone else bothered by that?

They also said Kostner did a 3t/3t combination and her solo 3lo became a 3t. Even better was Lipniskaia's 3 toe lutz/3t ha ha

I had to laugh at the person commentating as she only said Sotnikova nailed the combination element! No mention of the jumps in combination.