The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 161 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

The GOE column and PCS columns do not correspond.

For each skater separately, I think they do. Judge number 1 is judge number 1 all the way down Sotnikova's protocol. Then on Kim's protocol the judges are reshuffled and that judge might be judge number 6.

Isn't that it?

gkelly

Record Breaker
For each skater separately, I think they do. Judge number 1 is judge number 1 all the way down Sotnikova's protocol. Then on Kim's protocol the judges are reshuffled and that judge might be judge number 6.

Isn't that it?

That's my understanding.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
How many people actually care about Olympic scores? I'd bet the most of them only care about medals :laugh:

Are you being sarcastic?

I care about them, taking into account the changed element in the LP and the lowered GOE, Adelina's program is the highest-scoring scoring program ever. At least three points higher than Yuna's 2010 LP. Is that what she skated? No, definitely not. For example, (using this example because it's the clearest-cut, to me) Yulia's seven triple-four double LP at Euro's was one of the best-skated programs I've ever seen, and many people thought that 139 was to high of a score. Her PCS was definitely 2 points too high. Should Adelina have bested that score by a full ten points with a 3-jump combination in which two of the jumps were not executed anywhere close to properly? No. Should she have scored so many points above a clean program with six triples and five doubles from the best ladies skater out there? No.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In comparison there are at least 4 judges who gave Adelina 9.25~9.75 all around. Those judges are also the ones gave nearly indiscriminate +3 GOEs to her elements. (if the GOE column and PCS column correspond) It is an insanity.

All of the judges gave her great PCS. In the 27 judges' marks that make up PE, CH, and IN, she only got 2 marks in the 8's, and both of those were 8.75.

gmyers

Record Breaker
All of the judges gave her great PCS. In the 27 judges' marks that make up PE, CH, and IN, she only got 2 marks in the 8's, and both of those were 8.75.

It's so true. It's not 4 judges. It's close to unanimous among the 18 scores she got over SP and LP.

usethis2

Medalist
I've re-watched the Vancouver final flight the other day, and I could probably make the case of gold for Miki Ando and Mirai Nagasu with similar arguments deployed to pretend Sochi results were justified. And perhaps Rachel Flatt for Bronze.

Miki = clean performance, athleticism and jumps (including two 3Lz)
Mirai = skate of her life, 2A+3T, best spins, flutz but who cares
Rachel = consistency, power and stamina, rising to the occasion, OMG she's cute and young

Whatever.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I've re-watched the Vancouver final flight the other day, and I could probably make the case of gold for Miki Ando and Mirai Nagasu with similar arguments deployed to pretend Sochi results were justified. And perhaps Rachel Flatt for Bronze.

Miki = clean performance, athleticism and jumps (including two 3Lz)
Mirai = skate of her life, 2A+3T, best spins, flutz but who cares
Rachel = consistency, power and stamina, rising to the occasion, OMG she's cute and young

Whatever.

Of the top 3, Adelina had the most jump difficulty, the best spins, and the most intricate program. As I showed above, the judges believed Adelina's program and performance were magnificent. How do you argue with 25/27 judge's marks for the program as all 9's, with the other two marks 8.75?

capcomeback

On the Ice
Of the top 3, Adelina had the most jump difficulty, the best spins, and the most intricate program. As I showed above, the judges believed Adelina's program and performance were magnificent. How do you argue with 25/27 judge's marks for the program as all 9's, with the other two marks 8.75?

How can you condone a 7.75 for Yuna in T-LF-M? It is an insult to the defending Olympic Champ. How can you condone that same judge not giving her a single 9+ when all of the others gave her at least 4? Perhaps the other three judges in question were in the bag for Russia, but at least they had the decency to be somewhat circumspect when it came to judging Yuna's PCS.

Edit- That same judge gave Yuna 8 "GOE "1s" and 4 '2's" Give me a break! It is reasonable to presume that this is the same judge who is love with Adelina (No PCS element below 9.50, 10 GOE "3s" 1 "2" and was forced to give a "-1" on the fall out 3-2-2). Just ridiculous!

usethis2

Medalist
There are people still in denial. Do people really think if Yuna did one more triple she would have won? REALLY?

If Yuna did one more triple they will say -> Adelina was more athletic.
If a video shows Yuna was more athletic they will say -> Yuna "phoned in."
If that bogus claim is met with counter facts they will say -> Adelina stole the night!

There have been many circumstantial evidences as well as hard facts revealed short of confession in this thread, but they will not move an inch. Instead, they will endlessly change the goal posts. It's a waste of time and best not to engage them.

The truths are:

• Yuna's (or anyone else's) skating was not a factor. It did not matter she point-whored or did a 3A.
  • What mattered was one of the Russian girls staying on her feet. No one with some knowledge of the sport would agree with 7.75 ~ low 8's PCS Yuna received, when Adelina received 9.25~9.75. (more 9.75 than 9.25)
  • Adelina skated first, and she delivered on the above premise. (She did not splat) She was given the highest possible score imaginable for a flawed performance, a score that should only be reserved for a truly great performance.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Had Yu Na done a triple axel, triple axel-triple toe-triple loop combo, and quadruple toe loop and Sotnikova had a fall Yu Na would have won......maybe.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
Judges didn't make Yuna skate the #8th program in terms of difficulty (BV). Yuna chose the simple layout. Judges actually helped her to be with medal, if people are looking for controversy. She "jumped" from #8 BV into #3 TES by GOE and then into #2 in total by PCS. If anyone, Yuna shouldn't be angry with judges. They did a lot to secure her medal. It's a shame that she can't lose with grace like a classy lady.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's a shame that she can't lose with grace like a classy lady.

Yu Na has been incredibly classy in the fact of the most scandalous and fixed loss in Olympic skating history. She has 1000 times more class than the entire country of Russia put together (which includes you as it is plainly obvious you are a Russian), especialy Sotnikova who was a shamelessly classless winner in the face of a gifted win she should almost be almost embarassed by.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
Yu Na has been incredibly classy in the fact of the most scandalous and fixed loss in Olympic skating history. She has 1000 times more class than the entire country of Russia put together (which includes you as it is plainly obvious you are a Russian), especialy Sotnikova who was a shamelessly classless winner in the face of a gifted win she should almost be almost embarassed by.
Then you are saying that only Koreans can be Yuna fans. You must be a Korean to make sense.
Yuna was never classy in her defeat. In past she attacked Japanese girls for disturing her practice, attacked Mao for sunflower seeds, dragged Mao in Yuna's divorce with Orser. Now she attacked Adelina for leaving the press-conference, attacked IOC for misquoting, the move that even her long-time supporter Hersh called a "loss". Yuna fans are the same as Yuna- not classy. They put a Korean flag on Mao's banner in Sochi, they bully Adelina in cyberspace, they attack everyone, like you attack me now and made a fool of yourself. They do it because can't beat the fact that Yuna skated the easy prog and lost. I am from Hyogo by the way. Adelina is popular here, Radionova too, Plushenko is a big star. I wanted Mao to win. After SP- I wanted Caro to win. Mao, Caro, Adelina are classy elegant ladies and deserve to be OC. Yuna's attitude is insulting- to think that you can waltz in major events with simple prog and win just for name. I am glad it didn't happen.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Judges didn't make Yuna skate the #8th program in terms of difficulty (BV). Yuna chose the simple layout. Judges actually helped her to be with medal, if people are looking for controversy. She "jumped" from #8 BV into #3 TES by GOE and then into #2 in total by PCS. If anyone, Yuna shouldn't be angry with judges. They did a lot to secure her medal. It's a shame that she can't lose with grace like a classy lady.

I'm sorry but I find that a little bothersome. In my opinion, the judges did not help her, more so she was low balled. Scoring correctly is the judges' JOB. It is not "helping". And if we're talking about judges helping a skater to achieve more points, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia (and Mao, in competitions from the past) fit into this category. As someone in this forum said, Yuna placed her eggs on the GOE basket not the BV. Haven't that layout worked for her in the past so well? In fact, that layout is the highest scoring program in ladies figure skating history. Yuna has every right to be mad at the judges because her effort to refine everything to perfection got ignored and the skater who's less skilled than the veterans in terms of precision, mastery and artistry was awarded instead. It's like every skater's effort to use correct edge, clean edges and work on their musicality was moot in that Olympics. And for your information, YUNA WAS AS CLASSY AS A PERSON CAN BE IN THAT SITUATION.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Judges didn't make Yuna skate the #8th program in terms of difficulty (BV).

The technical panel did by wrongly downgrading her step sequence. Between the SP and LP, Sotnikova only had a base value advantage of 0.54 if everything had been called correctly.

cooper

Medalist
Then you are saying that only Koreans can be Yuna fans. You must be a Korean to make sense.
Yuna was never classy in her defeat. In past she attacked Japanese girls for disturing her practice, attacked Mao for sunflower seeds, dragged Mao in Yuna's divorce with Orser. Now she attacked Adelina for leaving the press-conference, attacked IOC for misquoting, the move that even her long-time supporter Hersh called a "loss". Yuna fans are the same as Yuna- not classy. They put a Korean flag on Mao's banner in Sochi, they bully Adelina in cyberspace, they attack everyone, like you attack me now and made a fool of yourself. They do it because can't beat the fact that Yuna skated the easy prog and lost. I am from Hyogo by the way. Adelina is popular here, Radionova too, Plushenko is a big star. I wanted Mao to win. After SP- I wanted Caro to win. Mao, Caro, Adelina are classy elegant ladies and deserve to be OC. Yuna's attitude is insulting- to think that you can waltz in major events with simple prog and win just for name. I am glad it didn't happen.

yuna not being classy?? riggghhhttt...yuna never whine about the results in EVERY interviews..you're making something up just to show she's a sore a loser..and of course a mao bot will bring up what happened in the past.. :disapp: she never behave in the podium and act like a total loser unlike some skaters from the past.. and don't generalize everything that all yuna fans are like that.. :rolleye:

if i were yuna i would have give those teddy bears to those 3 judges.. or throw my skates to them.. and in every interview i will tell the entire world that i was robbed.. but that's me.. :p

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
The technical panel did by wrongly downgrading her step sequence. Between the SP and LP, Sotnikova only had a base value advantage of 0.54 if everything had been called correctly.
In SP Yuna had a higher BV over Sotnikova 1.00. In LP Sotnikova had a higher BV over Yuna 3.94 points. The difference between level 3 and 4 step sequence is 0.60 point. It wouldn't help.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
As someone in this forum said, Yuna placed her eggs on the GOE basket not the BV. Haven't that layout worked for her in the past so well?
I am saying the same thing. Yuna counted it would be like in London- easy prog, big GOE for her name, mistakes of other skaters and voila: again gold medal on her neck. That arrogant plan didn't work.

cooper

Medalist
I am saying the same thing. Yuna counted it would be like in London- easy prog, big GOE for her name, mistakes of other skaters and voila: again gold medal on her neck. That arrogant plan didn't work.

arrogance? how is that arrogance?? that's the same lay out when she didn't win in 2011 worlds.. so nice try.. :p