Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 150 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

annca

On the Ice
He made two mistakes. 3T after 4S turned to 2T, but it wasn't key I think, but singling lutz and only 2T after was HUGE mistake. He lost on that 8 pts.

yes,, it was so clear that he made mistakes on his fp but i guess it didnt stop kurt from doubting on why his routine only deserved 3rd place when clearly he made some huge mistakes..

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Personally I think Yuxuru was the one who have the disadvantage, because the judges didn't give him PCS pillow like what they did to PChan. I think the judges wanted to send him the message: You won the gold in Sochi but we were not pleased, you'd better prove it here.

I think they couldn't give him higher too much. For me his pcs on lvl 90-91 is well deserved if Chan is receiving even 95. For me Yuzuru skates in biggest speed out there. Speed into jumps is sometimes just huge, like to his 4T. So I basically think Tatsuki and Javi was a little overscored in pcs comparing to Yuzuru, but I think in this competition it was fair
He improved a lot in his overall skills. I think his pcs can even go higher in coming seasons if he will receive even more challenging choreo like PW ( he have crazy transitions, speed and changes of direction there)

Meoima

Match Penalty
yes,, it was so clear that he made mistakes on his fp but i guess it didnt stop kurt from doubting on why his routine only deserved 3rd place when clearly he made some huge mistakes..
Under the 6.0 system, as long as he doesn't fall, he still gets some credit. It's so ovious that if Javi hadn't made those mistakes, the judges were willing to give him the gold. He has 91 PCS, as high as Yururu anyways. :frown: so Javi can only blame himself.

HanDomi

Record Breaker

I don't know if he was doubting, as I remember he clearly said that Javi lost 8 pts and it was actually better to try rotate this jump and fall than singling. Top3 was just in other league here, and overall Javi fp was really good but not enough here for more :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think they couldn't give him higher too much. For me his pcs on lvl 90-91 is well deserved if Chan is receiving even 95. For me Yuzuru skates in biggest speed out there. Speed into jumps is sometimes just huge, like to his 4T. So I basically think Tatsuki and Javi was a little overscored in pcs comparing to Yuzuru, but I think in this competition it was fair
He improved a lot in his overall skills. I think his pcs can even go higher in coming seasons if he will receive even more challenging choreo like PW ( he have crazy transitions, speed and changes of direction there)
No, I don't think they could give him higher PCS. Personally I think top 3 PCS should have been lower, from 80 to 88 at most. And PChan, no matter how skilled he is, should have never gotten 95 PCS. When he is clean and skate beautifully, PChan deserves 90 PCS at most. And that is indeed generous. ;)

What I find baffled is, the judges get used to give PChan the PCS pillow for so long, they suddenly don't know how to score PCS anymore. That high PCS of top skaters is obviously the pillow for them to stay on the podium. After SP, the judges clearly know their favorites, who would medal, just not sure which. So they gave out the unattainable PCS beforehand to mark those medal contenders. That's why the scores, from PChan era towards this moment, seem to be unreasonable high for the podium. :disapp:

Before Yuzuru, they only have PChan with 90s PCS. Now after PChan, we have 3 skaters with 90s PCS. Still unfair to those below, though. Since with such monstrous TES, they still medal anyways.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
No, I don't think they could give him higher PCS. Personally I think top 3 PCS should have been lower, from 80 to 88 at most. And PChan, no matter how skilled he is, should have never gotten 95 PCS. When he is clean and skate beautifully, PChan deserves 90 PCS at most. And that is indeed generous. ;)

What I find baffled is, the judges get used to give PChan the PCS pillow for so long, they suddenly don't know how to score PCS anymore. That high PCS of top skaters is obviously the pillow for them to stay on the podium. After SP, the judges clearly know their favorites, who would medal, just not sure which. So they gave out the unattainable PCS beforehand to mark those medal contenders. That's why the scores, from PChan era towards this moment, seem to be unreasonable high for the podium. :disapp:

Before Yuzuru, they only have PChan with 90s PCS. Now after PChan, we have 3 skaters with 90s PCS. Still unfair to those below, though.

I agree on Chan PCS. I think if he would receive 90 pcs , Yuzu should receive about 87-88, so overall I think the distance on Yuzuru to Chan is balanced ok. It is just they went too far with Chan PCS and is now hard to put it lower, but now they can have opportunity if he will be out for a while

I actually think in OG SP Yuzuru should have higher PCS than Chan. This program is just masterpiece overall and on Yuzuru execution ( he should have there 10 across the board for execution on this performance :biggrin: )

sajoya

On the Ice
Actually I think that after Sochi and the Ladies Medal Drama judges were extra hard on home skater at Saitama.

Maybe so. On other threads, I read posts where people believed Machida was overscored, saying that it was Japanese inflation that helped him win silver. I for one don't really have the right to say if this is true or not because... well, I still don't know much about the scoring system for FS :p

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Actually I think Yuzuru being Olympic champion helped his PCS. Chris Howarth said something along the lines that if Yuzuru did enough on his TES, the judges will give him the PCS that will put him on top and so they did but only by just .3.

In the Canon interview which echotpe translated, Javier did say he was hoping for higher than a bronze medal (which he also got last year) but admitted he was "careless" in the LP. That was the same story for him in the Olympics. Right now it's just mistakes holding him back as the base value of the technical elements of his programs are as good as anyone and the judges have shown that they are willing to give him high PCS. For both him and Yuzuru, to quote Kurt Browning, the execution must meet the plan. You can pack your program with quads, combination jumps, transitions, but you have to execute. In this department, I think Yuzuru clearly has the edge.

annca

On the Ice
I don't know if he was doubting, as I remember he clearly said that Javi lost 8 pts and it was actually better to try rotate this jump and fall than singling. Top3 was just in other league here, and overall Javi fp was really good but not enough here for more :biggrin:

well as to what i just saw from the cbc vid he clearly stated his disbelief that a program like javi's was just 3rd place.. when clearly javi himself made some huge errors.. but maybe the vid was cut before kurt's explanation about the 8 points thats why i thought he was doubting the scores. :)

makaihime

Final Flight

The 4S combo was suppose to have a BV of 14.60 but he doubled the toe-loop and lost 2.8 points there not including his -GOE. His 3Lz+2T was BV at 8.00 but singled the Lz so it only got a BV of 2.00 and -GOE. I don't recall what his GOE was but I think it was maybe -1 or -2 in total for both jumps so that cost him around 10 points already and then take into account some of his dodgy elements (like Hanyu who also had splashed of -GOE on his protocols) which cost him -GOE's. Those 2 mistakes was more than enough to put him behind Machida and Hanyu. Not sure what Kurt was expecting it to be but his TES made sense to me.

I actually questioned the PCS that Javi got in his FP to be honest (And he's my 2nd favorite) I'm not looking at the number by itself, but by comparing it to Hanyu and Machida's it should have been a few points lower than it was. If we're looking at the scores by themselves, the entire top 4 was overscored, espcially Kovtun...:disapp: (apparently the Chan influence)

And I do agree that the tech panel was especially harsh on the skaters there mainly on the ladies side and a bit on Hanyu's SP-4T which I wholeheartedly thought was fully rotated :confused:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
well as to what i just saw from the cbc vid he clearly stated his disbelief that a program like javi's was just 3rd place.. when clearly javi himself made some huge errors.. but maybe the vid was cut before kurt's explanation about the 8 points thats why i thought he was doubting the scores. :)

As I remember he said that in wider angle - like in previous worlds it could be gold easily, but today the level of competition was sooo high :)

annca

On the Ice
And I do agree that the tech panel was especially harsh on the skaters there mainly on the ladies side and a bit on Hanyu's SP-4T which I wholeheartedly thought was fully rotated :confused:

that was one of the many wonders of the 2014 worlds lol! it actually looks fully rotated for me too.. im still wondering why it was URed. maybe they wanted hanyu's score a bit lower cause a 95+ score with a fall may lead to controversies (which they are trying to avoid beacuse of what happened to sochi lol).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
that was one of the many wonders of the 2014 worlds lol! it actually looks fully rotated for me too.. im still wondering why it was URed. maybe they wanted hanyu's score a bit lower cause a 95+ score with a fall may lead to controversies (which they are trying to avoid beacuse of what happened to sochi lol).

Well , most thinks that it was fully rotated quad, I read as I remember somewhere other coach opinion on Worlds Men SP competition, and he said he don't agree with UR on Yuzu's 4T :biggrin:

But they were very, very strict on UR's and everything on this worlds so maybe there was missing about 1/10000 of rotation :biggrin: :biggrin:

makaihime

Final Flight

:think: I guess if we look at the big picture its better that they called a < on it because otherwise, like you said, people would be raging about how Yuzuru got Japanese inflation or OGMflation or Hanyuflation or whatever flation they prefer. (more than they already are) :rolleye: Even though it would've still been a perfectly deserved score under the CoP.

But since I am a Yuzuru fan, I admit, I would've totally called foul and rage over that < if he lost Gold just because of it :p Haha, always that silver lining

SuzyQ

Medalist
Thanks SuzyQ for the link!

Posted before that if Yuzuru's R & J1 is fire, PW is ice. "That was so cool!" as Tara Lipinski was moved to exclaim after his Olympic SP skate, even before the WR record score came out.

I'm glad you like it. This video "The Monster" shows his wild and sassy, and a bit dangerous side :love:
I see why he is called by many different names, such as "Romeo, the Slaughter", "Assassin", "Hungury Wolf" or "Ashura Dressed in Lace". (I love the last one.)

If you watch the video closely, you may be able to see the silhouettes of wolf, Ashura (with 6 arms), and Pooh!! :laugh:

I like MAD movies of this creator, ダリアさん (Dalia-san).
Enjoy other videos of the same creator, if you like :party:

Black & Red
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21877907

The preparation to fight !
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22746348

nimi

Medalist
Re: inflation or Japanese inflation or whatever

I have a hard time understanding those people who think Matchy was overscored compared to Yuzu and Javi. His FS wasn't as sublime as his SP, but I don't see how him scoring 1 point lower on PCS than Yuzu and Javi in his free is baseless Japanese inflation.

As far as the top 3 receiving overly generous PCS compared to some other skaters - yeah, you could argue they shouldn't have been several points above Abbot (86), who not only has very good skating skills and lots of choreographical detail but who for once gave a clean, convincing performance.

I hope for Yuzu's sake the judges won't give him 9.75 eg. for his SS until he actually further improves his skating skills. We don't need hanyuflation becoming the new the inflation...

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I'm glad you like it. This video "The Monster" shows his wild and sassy, and a bit dangerous side :love:
I see why he is called by many different names, such as "Romeo, the Slaughter", "Assassin", "Hungury Wolf" or "Ashura Dressed in Lace". (I love the last one.)

If you watch the video closely, you may be able to see the silhouettes of wolf, Ashura (with 6 arms), and Pooh!! :laugh:

I like MAD movies of this creator, ダリアさん (Dalia-san).
Enjoy other videos of the same creator, if you like :party:

Black & Red
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21877907

The preparation to fight !
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22746348

I have that sense too about Yuzuru ("wild, sassy, and a bit dangerous"). It's as if his life force is enough for two people.

Many have noted the contrast between Yuzuru's outward appearance and his inner nature so "Ashura Dressed in Lace" is spot on.

Thanks again SuzyQ for the additional links to Dalia-san's work. Again I am amazed at the creative talent and also the depth of perception of the Yuzuru fandom about him.

makaihime

Final Flight
Re: inflation orJapanese inflation or whatever
As far as the top 3 receiving overly generous PCS compared to some other skaters - yeah, you could argue they shouldn't have been several points above Abbot (86), who not only has very good skating skills and lots of choreographical detail but who for once gave a clean, convincing performance.

I hope for Yuzu's sake the judges won't give him 9.75 eg. for his SS until he actually further improves his skating skills. We don't need hanyuflation becoming the new the chanflation...

Actually I think that Abbott was rightfully below the top 3 in PCS. He had 2 UR's calls and his execution was just okay. He also didn't have the technical difficulty that the top 3 had, he was 8 points behind Javi (whos PCS I believe was a bit too high) and was 19.50 points behind Hanyu. Though I think Abbott should have gotten around 88 not 86.

And amen to that. Even when he does improve, I hope he never gets scores like that UNLESS other skaters are also getting that same kind of inflation. :bang: But realistically speaking lets hope that doesn't happen. 88-92 should be what he's getting IMO (If we compare to what Chan gets)

I mean unless he magically manages to pull out Chan level SS in the next 4 years in addition to his already superior technical merits + R&J 1.0 type of musical interpretation. Then I would suggest giving him 10's across the board :popcorn: