Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 151 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

mikaboo

Medalist
Noriaki Kasai talking a little about Yuzuru
http://nothingridiculous.tumblr.com/post/83259167711/kasai-talks-about-how-hanyu-kept-talking-and

If someone could translate... pretty please

Here is the rough translation.

Announcer: Today was the garden party. How was it?
Kasai: While we waited for the Emperor, I was getting nervous and sweaty as he got closer. Hanyu-kun and Takeuchi Tomoka-chan were next to me and Hanyu-kun kept on talking to me. He was constantly asking me questions.
A: What did he ask you?
K: Questions about my mental state (at competitions) and jumps, about the speed, how long i jump for, he was like a machine gun!
A: That much!?
K: He was cute. I was impressed that he didn't seem nervous at all talking with the Emperor.

Emperor: You did very well.
Hanyu: Thank you very much. I'm very happy that I did well.

A: What did you speak to the Emperor about?
K: I was so nervous that I don't even remember what I said.

Regarding the medals that Kasai took to the party.
K: Michiko-sama held the medals and said "they're heavy." Hanyu-kun was saying "I messed up" (because he didn't bring his medal) many times. Nobody else besides me had brought the medals.
A: Really?
K: I was lucky because i brought mine. (because the Emperor/Empress touched them)

mikaboo

Medalist
Can someone translate this short video : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1pnsh1_レジェンド葛西が羽生を語る_sport?start=122 .
Then I will put on the media topic. According to nothingridiculous.tumblr, Kasai talks about how Hanyu kept talking and asking him questions “like a machine gun” during the Spring Garden Party. Il would be pleased to know what he is saying about Hanyu.

Oh, I put the translation up on the other thread before I saw this post. You can do whatever you need to with it.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Re: inflation or Japanese inflationor whatever

I have a hard time understanding those people who think Matchy was overscored compared to Yuzu and Javi. His FS wasn't as sublime as his SP, but I don't see how him scoring 1 point lower on PCS than Yuzu and Javi in his free is baseless Japanese inflation.

As far as the top 3 receiving overly generous PCS compared to some other skaters - yeah, you could argue they shouldn't have been several points above Abbot (86), who not only has very good skating skills and lots of choreographical detail but who for once gave a clean, convincing performance.

I hope for Yuzu's sake the judges won't give him 9.75 eg. for his SS until he actually further improves his skating skills. We don't need hanyuflation becoming the new the inflation...

Good points. Re Tatsuki, I think his silver was well-deserved and a case may even be made for him winning the whole thing. There were comments that his LP didn't have as many transitions as Yuzuru's and Javier's, but the judges did score him lower there. And his winning margin over Javier in the LP was not in the PCS (where as you noted Yuzuru and Javier beat him) but in TES, 93.85 to 88.33, meaning he essentially executed his elements while Javier had costly mistakes.

Re the high PCS of the top 3 in relation to the other skaters like Jeremy Abbott, my guess is that the judges also factored in the difficulty of their respective programs even though it may be said that shouldn't be the case.

In fairness to Yuzuru, his skating skills have improved so his scores should too, but I agree it's definitely not yet at the level of a 9.75 score or even the 9.25 he got for his Worlds LP. I trust Yuzuru knows what areas he needs to improve on as he is his own worst critic.

nimi

Medalist
Actually I think that Abbott was rightfully below the top 3 in PCS. He had 2 UR's calls and his execution was just okay. He also didn't have the technical difficulty that the top 3 had, he was 8 points behind Javi (whos PCS I believe was a bit too high) and was 19.50 points behind Hanyu. Though I think Abbott should have gotten around 88 not 86.
Why should UR calls affect PCS? Did they affect his connection to music, commitment to choreography, his skating skills and edges? Did they make him leave out transitions? The number of quads in a program shouldn't have an impact on PCS, either. (Same questions could be asked about Kozuka's relatively low SS mark etc.)

I'm not an Abbott fan and some PCS marks like IN are inherently subjective - eg. his style of emoting isn't everybody's cup of tea - I'm just a bit worried if those deemed in advance being podium material start to get automatically PCS over 90, whether or not their actual skating skills, transitions and choreo plus performance quality that day really warrant that, compared to skaters who might be lacking in the technical base value but who display a similarly high level (or perhaps sometimes even higher) of artIstry and skating skill.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Re: inflation or Japanese inflationor whatever

I have a hard time understanding those people who think Matchy was overscored compared to Yuzu and Javi. His FS wasn't as sublime as his SP, but I don't see how him scoring 1 point lower on PCS than Yuzu and Javi in his free is baseless Japanese inflation.

As far as the top 3 receiving overly generous PCS compared to some other skaters - yeah, you could argue they shouldn't have been several points above Abbot (86), who not only has very good skating skills and lots of choreographical detail but who for once gave a clean, convincing performance.

I hope for Yuzu's sake the judges won't give him 9.75 eg. for his SS until he actually further improves his skating skills. We don't need hanyuflation becoming the new the inflation...

Personally I think top 3 this year hasn't read the sakting skills of PChan yet. And I think PChan only deserves 90 PCS when he is clean, then the rest should just be between 82-88 PCS.
But thanks the the judges, PChan highest PCS is almost 96 points :unsure: I like PChan, but that PCS is unreasonable. Can you image Yuzuru, Javi and Machida get that PCS?

I think the 90s PCS for top 3 in WC 2014 is just the result of inflation. Because once the judges give out a quota for PCS, they can't take it back. So they have to increase PCS for other skaters. :disapp:

It's so obvious that top 3 did not need that inflation to stay on the podium, given the gap they created with the 4th place and all of them stayed on their feet, unlike PChan in 2012,2013.
It's true that, in WC 2013, if Javi performed like what he did in WC 2014, he could have been the gold medalist. Do you remember PChan made 4 major mistakes in his free skate there? :unsure:

Overall, this WC has the best quality ever since 2010. Personally I think the most well-packed free skate (music, theme, techniques...) belongs to Javi if he executed all the planned elements. Machida's free skate seems to be too literal, I don't know what to say but it's really hard to score that program higher than that. As a classical music lover, I feel that his long program lacks something but I can't express the feeling. I mean Fire Bird is very difficult to interpret. Frankly, I have never watched anyone do justice to Fire Bird music. And Yuzuru's free skate is just technically loaded with all the difficult elements, but that doesn't mean the step sequence did not give him any point. I am not David Wilson's fan but his choreography is always good at collecting points.

Personally I think they scored Jeremy a bit too low. He deserved the 4th place, not Kovtun with that lackluster long program.:scowl: I would give Jeremy 90s PCS for that performance.

nimi

Medalist
SS for Kozuka and Abbott 8.54, for Kovtun 8.25. So basically the judges saw Kovtun as an equal to those two in terms of skating skills. OH REALLY?

Aaaargh, now that I got that out of my chest, back to topic... Glad that the top 3 at Worlds skated so well after the last year's event and the Sochi Splatfest. Makes me really look forward to the next season. So, the changes to scoring rules will be announced in June - when does Yuzu have some time off from shows to get new choreos? Somebody posted his schedule a few pages back, I think...

echotpe

On the Ice
[report@web] Yuzu Kneels down on the ground for his imperfect performance

Wow, the final Star Ice Show at Osaka reproduced the same stage in DOI 2012!

With PW today, Yuzu had worse performance as unexpected. He felled down on 4T & 3A despite of clean in 3Lz+3T. The finale 2 4lo were all miss – one becoming 1lo, another one fall.

How did he react such embarrassed moment? Kneeling down on the ground to present his apology as he did two years ago.

Let’s recall the moment then : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKCHEf7rUaw
Kneeling down on the ground at 4:05 :laugh:

edit:

(1) By the way, Yuzu and Javi exited the show with Yuzu's signature move "ㄟ" . They are enjoying the show. Let's take ease to read the news, please!

(2) Shizuka Arakawa posted a photo with Team Japan at SOI to bless everyone "Good Luck" in the future.
https://twitter.com/tiramisu11/status/457754448316469248/photo/1

makaihime

Final Flight
Why should UR calls affect PCS? Did they affect his connection to music, commitment to choreography, his skating skills and edges? Did they make him leave out transitions? The number of quads in a program shouldn't have an impact on PCS, either. (Same questions could be asked about Kozuka's relatively low SS mark etc.)

I'm not an Abbott fan and some PCS marks like IN are inherently subjective - eg. his style of emoting isn't everybody's cup of tea - I'm just a bit worried if those deemed in advance being podium material start to get automatically PCS over 90, whether or not their actual skating skills, transitions and choreo plus performance quality that day really warrant that, compared to skaters who might be lacking in the technical base value but who display a similarly high level (or perhaps sometimes even higher) of artIstry and skating skill.

No, his UR doesn't (or is not suppose to) effect his PCS, but his inconsistencies unfortunately do and that's something the judges don't overlooked whether it's right or not. His PE's and speed are also a factor as well.

And its not whether the PCS are correctly judged now a days, since that's long gone :slink: , but its looking at the way its being judged NOW.

SS for Kozuka and Abbott 8.54, for Kovtun 8.25. So basically the judges saw Kovtun as an equal to those two in terms of skating skills. OH REALLY?
Yeah that had me :mad: Kozuka should be above Abbott and Kovtun downn below the both of them.

Meoima

Match Penalty
[report@web] With PW today, Yuzu had worse performance as unexpected. He felled down on 4T & 3A despite of clean in 3Lz+3T. The finale 2 4lo were all miss – one becoming 1lo, another one fall.
How did he react such embarrassed moment? Kneeling down on the ground as he did two years ago.

:no: I know that the kid is tired!!! With all the ice shows!!! DAMN YOU!!! KIDDO!!!! I don't need you to kneel!! I need you to rest!!! I don't want to see Yuzuzombie next season!!:bang: Plushy told you to stay healthy, don't you remember!!

Yuzusan

On the Ice
Oh, I put the translation up on the other thread before I saw this post. You can do whatever you need to with it.

Ok thx !

:no: I know that the kid is tired!!! With all the ice shows!!! DAMN YOU!!! KIDDO!!!! I don't need you to kneel!! I need you to rest!!! I don't want to see Yuzuzombie next season!!:bang: Plushy told you to stay healthy, don't you remember!!

He can always fall, but as well as he is not injured, It can be okay .... I hope he will be on rest this week. :rolleye:

makaihime

Final Flight

With PW today, Yuzu had worse performance as unexpected. He felled down on 4T & 3A despite of clean in 3Lz+3T. The finale 2 4lo were all miss – one becoming 1lo, another one fall.

How did he react such embarrassed moment? Kneeling down on the ground to present his apology as he did two years ago.

Lol, maybe it'll be a reminder that he needs to rest up a bit and not always give his 150% during every show :rolleye: As long as hes not injured its fine.

On a side note, I wonder how he's handling his schoolwork.... :popcorn: I'm not doing 1/4 what he's doing and I'm already behind on mine lol

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Thanks for the update and the link to the video echotpe! Bonus is seeing a little Kanako in an insert :).

Re Yuzuru's falls, his manner of apology simply disarms criticism. I read a joint interview with Akiko that one time, after an error-filled exhibition, Yuzuru cried backstage.

But seriously, the falls are not at all surprising as his ice show schedule is insane and he still has to attend various social engagements. I am thinking (hoping) that all this is because it is an Olympic year and that next year won't be so crazy for him schedule wise. Yuzuru, despite that overdeveloped sense of responsbility, there are times you should just say no.

nimi

Medalist
^ Hope he'll get some rest soon. :(
No, his UR doesn't (or is not suppose to) effect his PCS, but his inconsistencies unfortunately do and that's something the judges don't overlooked whether it's right or not.
Nowhere there is a bullet point saying "skater's perceived inconsistence and/or past bad performances: lower the PCS in all categories by minimum 0.5 points", so IMO it is right to criticize this kind of reputational judging. There will always be subjective bias, but the judges should really TRY to score the particular performance right begore their eyes and not the past performances. If judges are unable or unwilling to do that and prefer to rely on old reputation, either good or bad, maybe they should just give PCS marks beforehand. :sarcasm:

echotpe

On the Ice
Bonus is seeing a little Kanako in an insert :).

Wow, you really get the point. That's why I choose this clip version. :thumbsup:

In the clip, Yuzu said whenever he won; he wanted (hoped) Kanako to win too. Then they can on the podium at same competition. What a precious teammates relationship!

yay

On the Ice
But seriously, the falls are not at all surprising as his ice show schedule is insane and he still has to attend various social engagements. I am thinking (hoping) that all this is because it is an Olympic year and that next year won't be so crazy for him schedule wise. Yuzuru, despite that overdeveloped sense of responsbility, there are times you should just say no.
I remember Borser saying that Yuzu is too polite and basically agrees with everything.
I can't recall the last time he fell on 3A except these crazy shows. And now he's fallen 2(3?) times in a row? He's extremely tired. I really hope he won't burn out.

Can anyone post the info about his spring/summer schedule again, please? I guess I'm lost in the thread.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
@echotpe: And skate in the gala together...:love:

Sad it hasn't happened yet, the nearest was at the 2013 Japan nationals where Yuzuru won and Kanako placed second. (Read Yuzuru did a "flying ovation" (?) after Kanako's LP there. Also did Kanako get inspiration for the cross in her LP costume at Worlds and Olympics from Yuzuru's NDP costume?

Anyway, I hope their bond dating back to their childhood continues as Kanako's friendship I think is good for Yuzuru. She sees right through him and as he said, cheers him up. He needs that as he has a tendency to be harshly critical of himself and his skating. One good thing about the many ice shows Yuzuru has to do now, as noted in the Kanako fanfest thread, is that he and Kanako can catch up with each other considering for most of last year he's based in Canada for his training, while Kanako stayed in Japan.

@yay: celestecruz posted the schedule, but it's many pages back but she cited her source. Here is the link: http://hanyuyuzurufeed.tumblr.com/post/81678161815/photo-via-sankei

Meoima

Match Penalty
SOI has ended. Now he has 8 events left (7 ice shows - 17 performances :slink:). Not to mention various interviews and talk shows (if he agreed to all the invitations).:bang: JFS is surely the most greedy federation!!! :disapp: Someone stop him please!!! :cry:

- April 26 Gold Medalist Celebration Parade (Sendai)
- May 10~11 Prince Ice World
- June 6~7 Fantasy on Ice Makuhari
- June 21~22 Figure Skating in Beppu
- June 27~29 Dreams on Ice
- July 5~6 Fantasy on Ice Toyama
- July 12~13 Fantasy on Ice Niigata
- July 18~21 Prince Ice World: Tokyo

Pamigena

Record Breaker
The kid needs a fund-raiser of his own :sarcasm:
if we all donate a few bucks maybe we can buy him a whole day off and a full night's sleep
(I'd consider it a worthy cause)

giulia95

Medalist
The kid survived to a terrible earthquake and to 60 summer shows , while training two memorable programs (Scriabin Etude, R&J1) !:rolleye:

Sooo happy Yuzuru we'll go back to his beloved hometown for the celebration parade, finally join his family and sleep in his bedroom with 3 gold medals and all Pooh collection!he deserves it so much :yes: !

GOOO YUZU!!!!! :yay::clap::bow: