Men's LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

harmy18

Rinkside
Surely, I believe Brian would havd a great comeback in COR. I was a little disappointed by the result:disapp: I thought Brian should be on the podium

Congratulations to Patrick:rock: nice job, really appreciate his performance

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think people should be so quick to say the Quad is unimportant. If Kozuka had landed his quad, he would have won...

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think he would. Kozuka's got a higher TES in the FS: 82.68 without the quad, vs Chan's 79.80. It hasn't helped much.

Yes, Kozuka would have won. Kozuka got only 1 point for his quad attempt... And really 0 if you count the automatic deduction. With the Quad you can add in a 9.8 to Kozuka's score and he most certainly would have beaten Chan. I believe Kozuka would have won the long if he had done a double axel.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yes, Kozuka would have won. Kozuka got only 1 point for his quad attempt... And really 0 if you count the automatic deduction. With the Quad you can add in a 9.8 to Kozuka's score and he most certainly would have beaten Chan. I believe Kozuka would have won the long if he had done a double axel.
Well, consider me a pessimist, then.
I'm sure Kozuka will land a quad, earlier or later. And then we'll see.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So what are the final results for this?

Over-all standings:

1 Patrick CHAN CAN 238.09
2 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 230.78
3 Alban PREAUBERT FRA 222.44
4 Brian JOUBERT FRA 221.1
5 Brandon MROZ USA 189.46
6 Peter LIEBERS GER 176.88
7 Ryan BRADLEY USA 175.62
8 Jialiang WU CHN 169.36
9 Gregor URBAS SLO 167.87
10 Igor MACYPURA SVK 165.20
11 Andrei LUTAI RUS 160.10
12 Yoann DESLOT FRA 156.68

Tigger

Final Flight
Congratulations to Patrick!!

As for Brian...I hope it's only a blade problem that's at the root of all of this.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My computer has been acting up on me lately :banging:, so I only managed to watch Bradley's LP so far, and I must say that the poor guy has really lost his mojo compared to the fiery flirt ;) I saw at SC. And the super-sad expression Ryan had on his face as he got off the ice broke my heart... :frown:

Bennett

Record Breaker

it is reported that his sucess rate is low in practices. but he decided to put it anyway.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^^^^

I'm glad he's attempting it at competitions this season though. With Olympics just around the corner, this is the season to up your jumps and your elements. Which is why I was pretty surprised that Chan does not have a quad attempt.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
So far both Chan and Kazoko are in the GPF and only 4 more spots left. Brain can still make it if he win his next event, at COR and the american trio of Abbort, Wier and Carriae is sure to get in at GPF. All they need is a bronze and silver or higher. In that case Lysacek will be out. Even if Takahashi win the NHK, he will be out for the GPF as well. So ...

Abbort - 4th place or higher
Wier - silver or higher
Carriae - silver or higher
Joubert - gold

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am back from Paris! It was sooooo amazing. Where do I start. Oh yes, Préaubert. The audience went wild for him - and his program was fantastic. I was sitting there thinking all the time, "oh no, on the next jump he will fall" - but it didn't happen. His PCS was very low I thought, I think he got hit by the KVDP curse, the judges won't give good PCS - even if he lands all the jumps. And he is a very nice guy and I even got his autograph after the skate, despite loads of people trying to get a photo with him etc. - he was very patient.

I would have given the win to Kozuka. But it could have gone both ways - and the judges gave it to Chan. They are both incredible skaters, I prefer Kozuka's edging and speed though - I think his skating skills are a bit superior to Chan's. Chan's musical expression is excellent on the other hand. Interesting that both their 3As, in Kozuka's case the 3A-3T, got +2 GOE. Chan's Axel was solid, but I didn't think that it deserved a +2. Then again Joubert also got a +2 on his second 3A, and that wasn't that superior either. GOE was a bit generous I think, a bit like 4CC 2008.

Joubert seemed tired and hesitant to me. The program has enormous potential, but he didn't seem on the top of his game. But my lack of enthusiasm for Brian's program and performance may have something to do with Alban bringing the house down with Kalinka and a close to perfect performance right before Joubert took the ice. And what was with the 2As? I get it that he didn't try the 3F because of the looming edge call - but why didn't he repeat a 3Lz? Or tried to tack on a 3T somewhere? Joubert didn't repeat two Triples, he left out the Triple Toe and the Triple Flip and screwed up the Loop. At least he still can do a 3A...

Well, nevertheless it was a fantastic afternoon with the guys! It was great to see the two boy wonders live, but the highlight for me was definitely Préaubert's performance.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Thanks for the in-rink report Medusa!
I would have given the win to Kozuka. But it could have gone both ways - and the judges gave it to Chan. They are both incredible skaters, I prefer Kozuka's edging and speed though - I think his skating skills are a bit superior to Chan's. Chan's musical expression is excellent on the other hand. Interesting that both their 3As, in Kozuka's case the 3A-3T, got +2 GOE. Chan's Axel was solid, but I didn't think that it deserved a +2. Then again Joubert also got a +2 on his second 3A, and that wasn't that superior either. GOE was a bit generous I think, a bit like 4CC 2008.
I completely agree. Other than name value, I can't understand why the judges hold back on Kozuka, yet be so generous towards Chan.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I am back from Paris! It was sooooo amazing. Where do I start. Oh yes, Préaubert. The audience went wild for him - and his program was fantastic. I was sitting there thinking all the time, "oh no, on the next jump he will fall" - but it didn't happen. His PCS was very low I thought, I think he got hit by the KVDP curse, the judges won't give good PCS - even if he lands all the jumps. And he is a very nice guy and I even got his autograph after the skate, despite loads of people trying to get a photo with him etc. - he was very patient.

Joubert seemed tired and hesitant to me. The program has enormous potential, but he didn't seem on the top of his game. But my lack of enthusiasm for Brian's program and performance may have something to do with Alban bringing the house down with Kalinka and a close to perfect performance right before Joubert took the ice. And what was with the 2As? I get it that he didn't try the 3F because of the looming edge call - but why didn't he repeat a 3Lz? Or tried to tack on a 3T somewhere? Joubert didn't repeat two Triples, he left out the Triple Toe and the Triple Flip and screwed up the Loop. At least he still can do a 3A...

Well, nevertheless it was a fantastic afternoon with the guys! It was great to see the two boy wonders live, but the highlight for me was definitely Préaubert's performance.
Medusa, thanks for your recaps - they were great! In fact, without Eurosport (snooker again :scowl:) I'm happy to have had you to provide commentary - and like them, I think you've managed to find the good in everyone while also being critical were needed.

Re the GOEs, even without watching the LP they looked very generous to me. If 0 means average execution, which as I understand it, it does, then +2 should mean very, very good execution. And I find it hard to believe all the axels were that great. Also, the way the GOEs vary from one judging panel to another really needs to be worked out.

Kinga

Medalist
I liked Mens event in TEB very much. I enjoyed Preaubert, I rarely do that, I am not a fan of his sloppy posture, but yes, he brought the house down! Great to watch.
I think I would give Kozuka 1st place, but this will come with time :). Nevertheless, I enjoyed Chan's program a lot, and I liked the summary of his skate made by the commentators on Swedish Eurosport - they said that it is very hard to see when he starts his step sequences, because basically the whole program is one big step sequence - with so many little linking steps and interesting transitions. They hit the nail with this one! They compared it with Joubert's program, saying that his step sequences are great, but not much was going on in between. He should really work on transitions, because this program could be really interesting.

I also have a technical question - Chan did two 3As, but none of them was followed by the second jump. Is there a penalty for that??

Much of what is said here shows some good consensus. As usual, i like taking it all in for unexpected surprises, and that happened to be Peter Liebers for this competition. I could say he had the Breakout Skate of TEB. If there is a youtube, check him out.

I think we will be including him in future discussions on Mens competitions. I think Olys is yet a stretch for him, but, you know, the sport is slippery.