Men's LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm fine with Chan being rewarded for what he does well, but Kozuka isn't getting rewarded for what he does well. His program in the short got low transition scores, and that program was packed with transitions. If I remember correctly so is his long. I'm not saying he should have higher PCS than Chan, but the PCS should be closer.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
enlight78 said:
why not if some did the same program with a quad they would have higher PCS and about 90 in the TES
I can't figure out if that's a joke or not but I really think someone decided to bring back the days of Plushenko's inflated scores. Chan wasn't clean and he didn't do the hardest elements; I just can't buy that he earned the TES he got. The PCS may be another matter; I don't complain about it in any competition it because it's so totally subjective, despite the attempt to quantify the components.

Joubert can only blame himself for the missed podium - I only counted 7 jump elements in his program, which is a strange mistake. Hopefully Simond will address whatever is wrong.

turtle said:
Chan may not have quads but he excels in many other aspects. But more than anything, he reminds me of Lambiel, who, despite his problems with some high-score jumps, was a brilliant performer, who could move the audience (I guess this could be subjective). I think Chan has the potential to grow as a brilliant performer like Lambiel.
He strikes me as more of a Buttle type; subdued, not as energetic as Stephane Lambiel. I liked Lambiel and thought he was a magnificent performer. Chan leaves me cold; I don't see any passion or excitement in his skating, just skill. That might change, but I really don't see a Lambiel-like trajectory for his career.

turtle

On the Ice
I'm fine with Chan being rewarded for what he does well, but Kozuka isn't getting rewarded for what he does well. His program in the short got low transition scores, and that program was packed with transitions. If I remember correctly so is his long. I'm not saying he should have higher PCS than Chan, but the PCS should be closer.

Probably Kuzuka's PCS will go up next season if, as a lot of posters here believe, PCS scores are affected by a skater's reputation and ranking in the previous season.;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Probably Kuzuka's PCS will go up next season if, as a lot of posters here believe, PCS scores are affected by a skater's reputation and ranking in the previous season.;)

True and Kozuka could present bigger to the audience. BUT while Kozuka did not make the GPF last year or medal on the GP last year, Kozuka DID place a lot higher at Worlds than Chan did. I suspect making the GPF and the fact many are saying wuz robbed might help Kozuka his PCS are slowly getting higher.

I'd love to see them send Kozuka to a coach who can help him with his expression. Maybe not full time but have him work part time. Maybe he could go to Tarasova when Mao goes. (But keep his main coaches)

Last edited:

Love_Skate

Rinkside

I agree with you. The only thing I hope for him is that he becomes more comfortable to express himself. He still looks shy. ;) It might affect his PCS.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I went back to the protocols, and Joubert did have 8 jump elements. I don't get why he did two 2As, though (one in combination). Are he and Simond that concerned about edge calls on the flip? It would still net more points than a 2A, wouldn't it?

I still haven't seen Kozuka this season, and I'm very curious about his programs. He seemed adorable at Worlds, even though the costume looked like something you'd find at a bowling alley.

bekalc, I believe Kozuka and Chan were 8-9 at Worlds.

Bennett

Record Breaker
IF Kozuka is landing clean quads consistently in practice, than Kozuka should go for the quad in competition. Eventually he'll get it, and the quad WOULD put him over Chan.

I agree.

I still haven't seen Kozuka this season, and I'm very curious about his programs. He seemed adorable at Worlds, even though the costume looked like something you'd find at a bowling alley.

Awww, I know! With his name on it! What was that meant to be?

He strikes me as more of a Buttle type; subdued, not as energetic as Stephane Lambiel. I liked Lambiel and thought he was a magnificent performer. Chan leaves me cold; I don't see any passion or excitement in his skating, just skill. That might change, but I really don't see a Lambiel-like trajectory for his career.

I call it calm, understated beauty:love:

I'd love to see them send Kozuka to a coach who can help him with his expression. Maybe not full time but have him work part time. Maybe he could go to Tarasova when Mao goes. (But keep his main coaches)

I heard that he already has someone new who helps him with expressions.

I wouldn't worry about Kozuka v. Chan. I believe they both will make the Finals and they can battle it out again.

Also battling it out will be Weir, Abbott and Carirere and see if Preaubert, Verner, and maybe Joubert and Ponsero can make the Finals. All of these yet to finish will be skating in COR an NHK.

Lysacek, of course, a slim chance.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I call it calm, understated beauty
Too calm and understated for me ;). I don't need him to be in-your-face but that kind of skating just doesn't engage my interest. Buttle never worked for me either - I respected his talent but the programs always seemed to last much longer than they actually did.

The subtle Canadian male skaters are just not my cup of tea, and if that's the direction figure skating is going, I'm not sure I'll stick with it long-term. I actually miss Sandhu. He could be a total disaster, but he was always interesting. I even miss Stojko. Now that is the one Elvis I do want to see on the ice. :biggrin:

Joesitz said:
Also battling it out will be Weir, Abbott and Carirere and see if Preaubert, Verner, and maybe Joubert and Ponsero can make the Finals. All of these yet to finish will be skating in COR an NHK.
I'll go out on a limb, sort of. Verner makes it, and wins a medal. If not, I vote for him to get a medal for being so cute ;).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Nice job by both Kozuka and Chan. Kozuka can't be upset... he will make the GPF and has a gold and a silver at major international events when in September nobody ever mentioned him.

I agree about Brian and that this will probably negatively effect the rest of the season. I think he should have skipped the GO this year, he was not prepared.. remeber how poorly he skated in that french event at the very begining of the season... He should have debuted at nats.

decker

On the Ice
I'm bummed for Brian. I really like this program even though I've never been that much of a Joubert fan. But he didn't execute. Darnit all.

I hope he has better luck at CoR. Since he finished off the podium here, I think it would take multiple castrophes of epic proportions for him to make the GPF without a gold at CoR. But this year, anything seems possible.

I thought Chan was sloppy even if he did stand up. Still and all, Kozuka fell. Based on my completely unobjective response to the programs and execution thereof, I'd have placed the men Preaubert, Kozuka, Chan. Or maybe Kozuka, Preaubert, Chan. Kozuka fell, but he was so crisp otherwise. And strictly speaking, Alban is sloppy. But he's so charmingly sloppy ;)

Susan

enlight78

Medalist
I wonder if pratrick would have been getting the same PCS if buttle didn't retire. I love chan skating but his PCs did go up when he became canada's num 1. Could fact that kozuka is japan's num 2 be lowering his PCs ?

screech

Final Flight
Hey, if Brian has a bad season and doesn't win Worlds that means he has a better chance of winning the Olympics!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Patrick Chan might have beautiful edges and he could be the nicest guy on earth - I have no idea about either -

Patrick's edges are to-die-for (I saw him skate live at SC). He's well-known for his modesty (he's even a little too humble) and his maple syrup-like sweetness. He is, in a word, LOVABLE! :love:

I'll go out on a limb, sort of. Verner makes it, and wins a medal. If not, I vote for him to get a medal for being so cute ;).

Can't argue with you there! :agree:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought Chan was sloppy even if he did stand up. Still and all, Kozuka fell. Based on my completely unobjective response to the programs and execution thereof, I'd have placed the men Preaubert, Kozuka, Chan. Or maybe Kozuka, Preaubert, Chan. Kozuka fell, but he was so crisp otherwise. And strictly speaking, Alban is sloppy. But he's so charmingly sloppy ;)
Now that's funny. I agree about Alban.

Cuteness counts but what about Ponsero?
Sweet, but not as cute. Really, only semi-cute in comparison to Tomas; Yannick would never do that smooching & winking performance like Verner and Joubert did at the Worlds SP, when Brian was in the Kiss and Cry.

Hey, if Brian has a bad season and doesn't win Worlds that means he has a better chance of winning the Olympics!
Correlation does not equal causation... But that would be the glass half-full interpretation.

I wonder if pratrick would have been getting the same PCS if buttle didn't retire. I love chan skating but his PCs did go up when he became canada's num 1. Could fact that kozuka is japan's num 2 be lowering his PCs ?
Yes, I think that is a possiblity. The top guy gets the marks (case in point: Alexander Abt losing to Yagudin at 2002 Europeans).

siberia82 said:
Patrick is well-known for his modesty (he's even a little too humble) and his maple syrup-like sweetness. He is, in a word, LOVABLE!
I try to avoid making any personal judgments re people I've never met in my life, and the only skater I've ever met is Paul Wylie. Joubert's an exception, and that's only because I'm trying to defend him from attacks ;).

ETA: both guys come across well in this article.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist

Actually Chan was Canada's # 1 last year! He made the final and Jeff did not and he also beat Jeff at Nationals. Jeff just had two great skates back to back at worlds while all others were having problems in either the short or the long.
Chan's PCS marks have come up because he has been improving from year to year. Remember he is young but this is his 3rd GP season.

Funny how everyone complains when a Can has mistakes but still wins because of the other elements yet when Alissa did not even do 1 triple in her short at SC she stayed in the top group because of her other elements. Seems to me like there is a double standard here!