Who is Gushed About The Most In The Forums? | Golden Skate

Who is Gushed About The Most In The Forums?

Which Skater or Group of Skaters Do You Think Receives The Most Attention From Fans?

• Michelle Kwan

Votes: 51 66.2%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sasha Cohen

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Carolina Kostner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other American Skaters ("BeBe" Liang, Kimmie Meissner included)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Japanese Ladies

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Male skaters (like Johnny Weir, et al.)

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Other skaters or groups not listed here

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

R.D.

Record Breaker
By popular request I've decided to start my own "corollary" to the other topic concerning hype.

I will not limit the choice to American skaters only, because I believe there is more to skating than just the American ladies, and MANY other skaters outside of North America (this does not include popular skaters like Slutskaya and Kostner) are talked about frequently.

Another follow-up question I would like to ask (in this thread or in another one, what do you all think?) is that of all the skaters that are receiving a lot of hype now, who do you think most deserves the attention?

Anyway, here goes.

The most popular skaters will be gushed the most. If the poll reached out to Europe, it would not be Kwan.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well...!

The results are (so far) as I predicted: Kwan way in the lead (face it guys, it's true and you know it ;) ), followed by the male skaters (Johnny Weir for example i notice gets a lot of attention, and Plushenko used to as well), and then possibly Cohen (or the Japanese ladies, but no-one's picked them yet).

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I'd say Kwan receives the most attention from her fans and non-fans alike. At least on the English-based skating forums, people who claim to dislike Kwan post in Kwan threads as much as those who like her. I think the Kween deserves the attention though. :yes:

I've also noticed that Jeffrey Buttle and Joannie Rochette have garnered a lot of gushing on the internet last season. There seemed to be some (almost relentless) "Rochette=Turino Champ" sentiments floating around. :scratch:

Germanice

On the Ice
I will not limit the choice to American skaters only, because I believe there is more to skating than just the American ladies, and MANY other skaters outside of North America (this does not include popular skaters like Slutskaya and Kostner) are talked about frequently.
Awww, really? :rofl: Thanx, why I'm so relieved to read that? :biggrin: :laugh:

Anke

Last edited:
Germanice said:
As for "popularity", is this video share forum a "measure"?
Just as I posted above, Yagudin is far and away the must gushed over (55 pages), with Plushenko next (42 pages). Those who said Kwan on this poll are way off the beam (a pathetic and pitiable 12 pages).

Even here on Golden Skate (AKA, the MK Forum 2), the only gushing threads we get are when Zanzibar posts her Alexei pictures.

And who can blame us? Yags is the MAN!

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just as I posted above, Yagudin is far and away the must gushed over (55 pages), with Plushenko next (42 pages). Those who said Kwan on this poll are way off the beam (a pathetic and pitiable 12 pages).

Where did you get this data? Is it from this forum? Or others?

I do think that male skaters like Plushenko and Yagudin get a whole lot of gushing. But recently I think Johnny Weir beats them both in this category. His journal entries are posted here every time they're updated, and on FSU just about every thread about him is multiple pages. (JW threads here get a whole lot of views and responses, too.)

Even here on Golden Skate (AKA, the MK Forum 2), the only gushing threads we get are when Zanzibar posts her Alexei pictures.

I agree with GS being MKF II :laugh: and Yagudin's pictures getting a lot of attention but I disagree that that's the ONLY gushing seen here. I also think the following skaters get their fair share here:

Johnny Weir
Beatrisa Liang
Michelle Kwan (of course)
Sasha Cohen
Fumie Suguri
Evgeni Plushenko

There is no particular order here. I may be missing a few names here; this is not meant to be (and definitely not) a comprehensive list.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think asking the opposite of this poll question would be a very interesting question.

Like, Which skater(s) do you think is/are the most criticized on skating forums?

I think I'll start a thread on that now...

Red Dog said:
Where did you get this data? Is it from this forum? Or others?
From the link posted by Germanice.

http://fsvids.9.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=2

Plus, it's not the quantity so much as the quality of gushing. When people gush over Michelle they gush about her skating or possibly about her many outstanding character traits. When it comes to heartthrob Alexei, it's another story altogether. here's a thread from the Edge, for instance:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10160

MM

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
From the link posted by Germanice.

http://fsvids.9.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=2

Plus, it's not the quantity so much as the quality of gushing. When people gush over Michelle they gush about her skating or possibly about her many outstanding character traits. When it comes to heartthrob Alexei, it's another story altogether. here's a thread from the Edge, for instance:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10160

MM

That's true. To me, though, gushing is what it is, no matter whether it's towards a skater's performance or a skater's looks.

I personally can't stand the gushing threads, especially the male ones. So I just avoid them altogether.

(P.S. I can assure you that certain people elsewhere also admire Michelle the other way, too. :laugh: ;) )

Red Dog said:
P.S. I can assure you that certain people elsewhere also admire Michelle the other way, too. :laugh: ;)
Well, there is a thread on my second favorite board titled, "Is Michelle more beautiful on the ice or off the ice," with predominant sentiment running toward "both." :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Well, there is a thread on my second favorite board titled, "Is Michelle more beautiful on the ice or off the ice," with predominant sentiment running toward "both." :laugh:

To answer that question :laugh: , ooh, that's a tough one. In the case of other skaters it's rather easy (for example in Sasha's case I think she definitely looks better on the ice), but I don't know. I'd say she looks the same both on and off. She CAN look striking in both locations, and look "blah" in both too.

JMO.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is a hard one to answer. To some, "gushing" can be interpreted as "praised beyond a level actually deserved", and of course that would depend on one's opinion of a particular skater. For example, for a while, I noticed a lot of "gushing" (using the defintion above) of Miki Ando, and I personally have YET to see what the big deal is there. But for the basic "high praise well deserved" definition, I think Michelle and Alexei would have to be up there; I don't know how one can look at some of their performances and NOT gush..... and I personally could probably do about 20 minutes on Shen & Zhao at the 03 and 04 Worlds.

Germanice

On the Ice
Mathman said:

And who can blame us? Yags is the MAN!

MM :)
He certainly is! :yes:
What's even more amazing is the fact we're talkin' about a guy who had
his last eligible competition in 2002!

Btw., it's late September now, isn't it time for a new issue of Zanzibar's
Sexei-pics!!?? :love: :biggrin:

Anke ;)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh lord, I didn't intend for this to be a gushing thread in itself! Just to discuss who they think is gushed about the most. Save the actual gushing act for a different thread...

(please)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Perhaps The Arena needs a new forum -- "The Gush Room"; each thread would simply be titled as the name of the skater one wishes to gush about... ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
In the meantime...

Kwan is dominating this poll. She is way ahead of the others.

IMO she should be- no other skater gets more attention than she does. At least in North America.