Who is Gushed About The Most In The Forums? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who is Gushed About The Most In The Forums?

Which Skater or Group of Skaters Do You Think Receives The Most Attention From Fans?

• Michelle Kwan

Votes: 51 66.2%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sasha Cohen

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Carolina Kostner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other American Skaters ("BeBe" Liang, Kimmie Meissner included)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Japanese Ladies

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Male skaters (like Johnny Weir, et al.)

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Other skaters or groups not listed here

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Kuchana

On the Ice
Germanice said:

Still, I’ve voted for Kwan, since the gushing on her/the attention she causes is so forced, so dominant , so exaggerated and waaaaay too much for my taste sometimes , even though I’m aware all that ado mainly comes from her countrymen. Fact is, US-fans do have an overwhelming majority in English “speaking” skating boards, it’s only natural after all.

One question, out of curiosity:
If skating audiences are mainly female or gay (high swooning potential!) and the guys the “real” stars of skating, why it’s still the Ladies who are getting generally more (media) attention and all these fat endorsements? I’m not only talking about the US, actually I’ve noticed the same in Japan, Germany and many other countries. Is it only about tradition, old prejudices?? :scratch:

Anke

Why would you say the attention on Kwan is forced? I can see the dominant and maybe exaggerated but hey, you wouldn't complain if it was that way with Yags I suppose? :yes:

As for your last point, I recall discussing some of this for my Women & Media class to ascertain the reason behind the popularity of female skaters compared to male skaters. Maybe one could argue the patriarchal point here?

Not surprised that Kwan leads in the gushing threads but my, my I don't mind gushing about Alexi either. :love:

Last edited:

urmaniac13

Rinkside
Mathman said:
:laugh: I think that would be Ivan Ivanovich (his dad's name is John, too.)

Trivia question: Before he took up ice skating, what other sport did Johnny excel at?

MM

Hey right on about his name... Ivan Ivanovich!! cool!!
Well I can imagine he would look very handsome on the horseback too...

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
urmaniac13 said:
Hey right on about his name... Ivan Ivanovich!! cool!!
Well I can imagine he would look very handsome on the horseback too...

Isn't that the name of President Putin's right hand man? :)