Hockey | Golden Skate

Hockey

anya_angie

Final Flight
Are they still using pro athletes?

I remember how happy Lemieux was to finally get that elusive gold in 02. To him that was more important than playing for the Pens. And why shouldn't it be? :)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Since I'm a huge fan of Russian figure skaters (esp. Plushenko), I'd like to know if the young Russian hot-shot rookie at the Washington Capitals NHL team, Alex Ovechkin, will be playing on Team Russia. I'm afraid that Ovechkin's current legal troubles with his 'back-home' team (Dynamo-Moscow) might force him to sit-out the Olympics and stay in the USA during the Olympic break.

Dynamo recently brought a lawsuit against Ovechkin & the Capitals, claiming that Ovechkin broke his contract with Dynamo-Moscow. He was served his papers in Montreal one week ago, just before the start of a game!

Ovechkin just turned 20 and this would be his first Olympics. He began to play pro hockey in Russia (Dynamo, as well as Omsk) after the 2002 Salt Lake games.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
anya_angie said:
Are they still using pro athletes?

I remember how happy Lemieux was to finally get that elusive gold in 02. To him that was more important than playing for the Pens. And why shouldn't it be? :)

What do you mean that the gold was more important to Mario that playing for the Pens? Mario is the heart and soul of Pens and he brought 2 Stanley Cups to the city. Stanley Cup is the holy grail of hockey, not the Olympic gold. I am sure it ranks up high, but it''s the Cup that everybody wants:)

He came back to play for Pens for virtually nothing and made sure that the team stayed in Pittsburgh. I believe that playing for Pens means everything to Mario. How many players can we name these days that have spent their entire carrers with a single team and were successful in brining the glory to the city? even Ray Bourque after 19 or so years in Boston had to seek fortunes elsewhere.

Mario rules!!!!!

BTW, I will be pulling for Russia to win the gold, though highly unlikely. If US wins, I wouldn't mind either, I am happy as long as Russia is on the podium and Canadians and Czech are off. It would be great for Slovakia to medal too.

Yana

anya_angie

Final Flight
As I recall Mario was injured slightly, something with the hip, just before the Games in 02, and he wanted to take some time off from the Pens so he would be in good health for SLC. He came back to the Pens afterward.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
that's true that Mario took xonsiderable time off during the whole 2001-2002 season but a number of players from those teams without a bye into the final rounds had to play before the NHL break (these were Switzerland, Belarus, Germany, Latvia, Slovakia, France, Austria, and Ukraine, IIRC) and most players from these countries were allowed to leave the NHL team to help the national team prior to the break. Mario of course, took more time off than just 2 weeks or so that some players took for the preliminaries but I am pretty sure he made the decision not to play the whole season (as in not to play back to back games, etc) because of his nagging injuries. I am sure it meant a lot for him to play for his country and the bring home the gold but the decision to skip games that season was health related.

Either way, Mario is an outstanding individual and an amazing player and both Canada and US are lucky to have him. He is the Greatest One in my opinion.

Yana

anya_angie

Final Flight
Definitely The Best!!!! An extraordinary courageous person to have endured what he has.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Canada all the way in both mens and womens hockey!!!!! There is no doubt that they will not be the olympic champions and next to watching olympic skating this is the event that I get the most excitment from.

:clap: :clap: Go Canada Go!!!!!​
:clap: :clap:

As for Mario, he is a great person both off and on the ice but look out for the Crosby Kid. He is going to be the next ONE!!!!!:rock: :rock:

anya_angie

Final Flight
I haven't seen Crosby play yet, but from the record of the Pens so far this year I don't think we're doing so well LOL. Unfortunate!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I hope Canada crashes and burns if they are going to name the team I am hearing. Crosby does not deserve to be on the team, if he is it is only because Lemieux bullied Crosby onto the team, and it is a farce. Bertuzzi and Doan dont deserve to be on the team but will be. Staal, Spezza, Nash, all should be on the team but wont. Unless they surprise and show some integrity in their choices I hope the Canadians fall flat on their face, and Grezxty is fired as executive-director. I will watch more NBC this Olympics, since all the hockey coverage of a team of players who alot dont even deserve to be there will be nauseating.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Bertuzzi should be banned from hockey forever. To name him onto a national team is an outrage. Why not invite Dale Hunter and Marty McSorley as well???

Yana

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
STL_Blues_fan said:
Bertuzzi should be banned from hockey forever. To name him onto a national team is an outrage. Why not invite Dale Hunter and Marty McSorley as well???

Yana

I agree, he should be in jail now, yet he will be playing in the Olympics. His hockey does not even warrant it this year.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I did not realize that the Olympic team has been announced by Canada. I just read that Mario withdrew his name but he is lobbying for Crosby to take his spot instead. I wouldn't not say hi is being bullied into making the team. Bartuzzi is a thug and he is nowhere near the top as far as scoring is concerned. Not to mention with his reputation he should not be considered to make the team (even if he is in the top 5). What does that say about Gretzky then, to make such a selection??

Will dig into this one.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I dont have a very high opinon of Grezxty at all, I dont care how much of a legend he was as a hockey player. I am not at all surprised the team is based all on politics, bias, and marketing potential. Crosby or Bertuzzi would not even be close to being on the team if it were picked on merit, but that does not matter, it all about who Grezxty's pets are. He is lucky Canada has so much depth they will win with anybody in charge, unless they run into a red hot goalie. Therefore the lame job he does picking the teams is never exposed, they almost lost in the World Cup though, whereas they would have won more easily with the right team probably.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
They are having a conference call right now to decide if he deserves to be on the team or not. He might be booted from the team since the COA does not feel he meets "Olympic standards" of excellence in behaviour, personal morals, etc....:rofl:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
....I'd like to know if the young Russian hot-shot rookie at the Washington Capitals NHL team, Alex Ovechkin, will be playing on Team Russia. ....Ovechkin just turned 20 and this would be his first Olympics. He began to play pro hockey in Russia (Dynamo, as well as Omsk) after the 2002 Salt Lake games.

UPDATE, ANSWERING MY OWN Q: Confirmed last week, Alex Ovechkin will play right-wing offense on Team Russia!!! Yeah!!!!

HERE'S TO CUTE RUSSIAN HUNKS-ON-ICE: Plushenko & AO! May each of them garner gold medals in Turin! :rock: :rock: :rock: